C4 Forums | Control4

Equipment/Devices To Buy

So I'm doing all my pre-wiring this weekend. I'll be pre-wiring for the following.

1. Security cameras

2. Video Distribution.

3. Shades

4. Wires to my demarc location( also for future outdoor stuff).

5. WAP's

Questions as I'd like to start buying stuff.

1. Want to buy my smart switches- Any consensus on the best that are more on the budget friendly side ~$50 switch.

2. What head end equipment will I need( patch panel etc.)

3. What are my option for my audio control and where my speaker wires land?

Thanks you very much.

13 minutes ago, mstrlucky74 said:

1. Want to buy my smart switches- Any consensus on the best that are more on the budget friendly side ~$50 switch.

2. What head end equipment will I need( patch panel etc.)

3. What are my option for my audio control and where my speaker wires land?

Thanks you very much.

Reduce the number of needed switch and buy C4.

Honestly, think you want to use a local dealer based on the type of questions you have been posting.

Reduce the number of needed switch and buy C4.

Honestly, think you want to use a local dealer based on the type of questions you have been posting.
understood. what do you mean by reduce number of switches ? wall switches or some other switch?

btw...if I install/wire my c4 switches and don't have my system complete/tied into controller yet can I still trump lights off/on at the switch? TY

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

With C4 dimmers and switches they do work when not connected into a controller.

You are probably going to want a POE switch as it is a good idea to use POE for WAPs and cameras.

Buying a C4 amp and matrix switch is the way to go for your speakers.  I would put ceiling speakers into every room where you may want audio.  Even in rooms where you may have surround sound it can be useful to have ceiling for music, and announcements.

on c4 for this use case you are describing.

I’d hire a good c4 expert to help you through your design and get your core building blocks in place. C4 is really scalable, and rock solid reliable if designed by the right experts. Plus, because it is scalable, you will catch your self with use cases that you are not even thinking about now, but if you get the foundation right can be added when time is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, mstrlucky74 said:

understood. what do you mean by reduce number of switches ? wall switches or some other switch?

btw...if I install/wire my c4 switches and don't have my system complete/tied into controller yet can I still trump lights off/on at the switch? TY

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

For the switches,  one thing to consider is C4 just came out with a less expensive line of light switches.   They have a few limitations versus the normal C4 switch but still look good and I believe its around $95 for a switch.

2 hours ago, mstrlucky74 said:

Well, it was a little tongue in cheek. I sort of meant that you shouldn't consider cheaping out on switches and if your budget is less than 50 per switch you can still get C4 switches if you just need half as many ;)

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

With C4 dimmers and switches they do work when not connected into a controller.

You are probably going to want a POE switch as it is a good idea to use POE for WAPs and cameras.

Buying a C4 amp and matrix switch is the way to go for your speakers.  I would put ceiling speakers into every room where you may want audio.  Even in rooms where you may have surround sound it can be useful to have ceiling for music, and announcements.

Thank you for advice. Yes wiring in ceiling speakers in LR, DR, KIT, and one room upstairs.

51 minutes ago, Steelermedallion said:

emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png on c4 for this use case you are describing.

I’d hire a good c4 expert to help you through your design and get your core building blocks in place. C4 is really scalable, and rock solid reliable if designed by the right experts. Plus, because it is scalable, you will catch your self with use cases that you are not even thinking about now, but if you get the foundation right can be added when time is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Understood and makes sense. My budget is on the lower end than most C4 I'm sure. Can I find an expert on this forum to hire? Thanks.

45 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

For the switches,  one thing to consider is C4 just came out with a less expensive line of light switches.   They have a few limitations versus the normal C4 switch but still look good and I believe its around $95 for a switch.

Wow.. less expensive at $95? Geez. I was willing to pay about $70 and thought that was a little on the higher end. I'd have to buy these for every room I want to control the lights correct? Thank you

37 minutes ago, mstrlucky74 said:

Wow.. less expensive at $95? Geez. I was willing to pay about $70 and thought that was a little on the higher end. I'd have to buy these for every room I want to control the lights correct? Thank you

Yes, you need one for every light :)   You can buy TP Link Kasa switches for $20 each plus a third party driver.   Personally, I would only put in a garage, closet etc.   If you use everywhere,     your newly wired home will look like you have $20 switches but it will work.   Pounce's point is where I'm at,  get the right switches that will make your home like a custom home with proper home automation even it means starting with fewer rooms due to budget.     

I like these ....
https://www.legrand.us/categories/smart-lighting/rf-lighting-controls.aspx

Works with C4 via Legrand LC7001 hub.

Aren’t you the estimator for an EC? Does your company buy a lot of P&S devices? If so you can likely get decent pricing through your distributor ..... I pay about 40% list for Radiant and 50% list for Adorne you see at the link above.

You can’t do things with 3rd party devices as you can with C4 devices like double-tap commands, change the backlighting color, change dimmer ramp rate, etc. Also the Legrand scene controllers are not visible within Control4 and can’t be used to activate C4 created scenes. They also cannot be engraved. You can create lighting scenes within C4 that are activated through the app, C4 keypad, or their touchscreen controller, or you can create lighting scenes in the LC7001 hub to use with the Legrand scene controller. Those scenes can then be imported to Composer. You could always just use a C4 scene controller as well in conjunction with Legrand devices. Would need to use satin color finishes for C4 devices to match the Legrand colors. MSRP for a C4 120v configurable keypad is $250 btw.

The Nuvo stuff I told you about at the other board also has C4 drivers, matching keypads in both switch aesthetics... NV-P10 for Radiant, NV-P20-AD for Adorne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, brantlmcdonald said:

I like these ....
https://www.legrand.us/categories/smart-lighting/rf-lighting-controls.aspx

Works with C4 via Legrand LC7001 hub.

Aren’t you the estimator for an EC? Does your company buy a lot of P&S devices? If so you can likely get decent pricing through your distributor ..... I pay about 40% list for Radiant and 50% list for Adorne you see at the link above.

You can’t do things with 3rd party devices as you can with C4 devices like double-tap commands, change the backlighting color, change dimmer ramp rate, etc. Also the Legrand scene controllers are not visible within Control4 and can’t be used to activate C4 created scenes. They also cannot be engraved. You can create lighting scenes within C4 that are activated through the app, C4 keypad, or their touchscreen controller, or you can create lighting scenes in the LC7001 hub to use with the Legrand scene controller. Those scenes can then be imported to Composer. You could always just use a C4 scene controller as well in conjunction with Legrand devices. Would need to use satin color finishes for C4 devices to match the Legrand colors. MSRP for a C4 120v configurable keypad is $250 btw.

The Nuvo stuff I told you about at the other board also has C4 drivers, matching keypads in both switch aesthetics... NV-P10 for Radiant, NV-P20-AD for Adorne.

Yes I am. Hey!! lol. Yes I cant get good pricing on all Lutron/Leviton/P&S devices and equipment.

I would not recommend the old Adorne smart lighting.  No offense. For the hassle that would unfold I'd still recommend C4 switches.

I haven’t experienced any problems with control functionality of Legrand RF controls, but I would like to know what specific issues you’ve had? I’ve had some failures over the years but I’d say it’s not out of the ordinary considering how many I’ve installed. My Legrand reps have always replaced them without question though.

Also in case OP didn’t see, if you scroll further down the page you’ll see the decora style Radiant switches that are much less expensive than Adorne.

There is a Zigbee version coming soon; idk if it will be compatible with C4 though.

15 minutes ago, brantlmcdonald said:

I would consider RadioRa2 or Select as well if looking at Lutron. More device and keypad options, and the nicer satin finishes too.

How much is a Lutron Select light switch?   I'm guessing the Ra2 or Select are about the same cost as the C4 switches....  Not sure though.

How much is a Lutron Select light switch?   I'm guessing the Ra2 or Select are about the same cost as the C4 switches....  Not sure though.

If you had an exact equal system as far as dimmers and switches, the RadioRa2 is going to be around 20%+/- more expensive.

RadioRa2 uses Maestro controls.

The biggest cost difference in addition to the controls is going to be the RadioRa2 repeater vs the Caseta hub, which is about $400 more.

RadioRa2 Select allows you to use their occupancy sensors, HVAC controls, and engraved Pico remotes, and is available in satin finishes whereas Caseta is gloss finishes only. Also you can use wireless relays for lighting control; so you could have relays in junction boxes while only using Pico remotes at the wall.

RadioRa2 adds the ability to also use GrafikEye and Grafik T dimmers, as well as SeeTouch keypads. It also has an expanded lineup of sensors. You can spend far more dollars moving into those controls. It adds support for their higher end shades.

Caseta and RadioRa2 use different apps. Caseta offers IFTTT integration, RadioRa2 does not.

2 hours ago, therockhr said:

Lutron Caseta switches and Smart Bridge Pro work perfect with C4. 

Yup.  A great option if you are on a budget.  Most of my switches are now C4, but my main floor was almost all Lutron Castea for a few years.

2 hours ago, brantlmcdonald said:

There is a Zigbee version coming soon; idk if it will be compatible with C4 though.

Not directly compatible.

2 hours ago, therockhr said:

Lutron Caseta switches and Smart Bridge Pro work perfect with C4. 

This and with the relatively small house there may not be the need for the more expensive Lutron lines.

When the EMEA guys come online they might recommend Tasmota flashed Tuya switches. They are 10-15 bucks each and can be controlled with MQTT integration. There are also Shelly integrations. I just think the Lutron or C4 switches are going to be a better fit for the OP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.