C4 Forums | Control4

Essential Wireless Switches

todd1

Cheaper to buy (which is their only PRO) for a reason:

-Don't look as nice

-Not the same level of LED feedback (on/off only on one small led)

-NO engraving

-NO keypads

-FORWARD phase only (limited support of bulbs) on the dimmer version

-CONSIDERABLE increase in power consumption (450mw to 3W from 'main' line to essential)

Beyond that, function wise they're basically the same

44 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Cheaper to buy (which is their only PRO) for a reason:

-Don't look as nice

-Not the same level of LED feedback (on/off only on one small led)

-NO engraving

-NO keypads

-FORWARD phase only (limited support of bulbs) on the dimmer version

-CONSIDERABLE increase in power consumption (450mw to 3W from 'main' line to essential)

Beyond that, function wise they're basically the same

Did realize the Forward Phase bit... That one is a big downer...

Still learning about C4 here but I believe the Adaptive Phase Dimmer has a lux sensor for turning on backlighting. Can anyone share whether that lux output can be used to program off of beyond just the backlight? In other words, if light level of that sensor reaches a level then turn all the lights in that room on or to a set level?  

Thank you for responding so quickly - really helpful - that’s a huge benefit then because it reduces clutter.  I have motion sensing down because I could bring in motion sensors from my Honeywell panel but I thought I’d need to stick another sensor in somewhere in the room for lux reading.  Nice and clean - I like that.

Currently I have GE/Jasco ZWave/Zigbee switches and dimmers on every circuit around the house.  I believe these are forward phase only and they claim to be compatible with led lights.  We have noticed that dimmers seem to cause a pulsating effect sometimes with our dimmable Philips led recessed lights.  I wasn’t sure if this was due to the dimmer or the led driver or both.  Can anyone hazard a guess as to whether replacing the forward phase only dimmer with the C4 adaptive phase dimmer will fix this problem?

4 hours ago, Dueport said:

I wasn’t sure if this was due to the dimmer or the led driver or both.  Can anyone hazard a guess as to whether replacing the forward phase only dimmer with the C4 adaptive phase dimmer will fix this problem?

That's the big question isn't it? IF the recessed lights themselves are rated as dimmable, then it's 99% certain the adaptive phase dimmers can handle them. But unless you can get and check a model number on the lights...

Adaptive phase dimmers (once properly configured with min on settings and cold start settings) can sometimes offer dimming capability even on not-rated lights (note that it is NOT supported by C4!!!) but it'll be chance only, and it may not offer a lot of 'range' even so.

On 8/23/2020 at 5:53 AM, Dueport said:

Still learning about C4 here but I believe the Adaptive Phase Dimmer has a lux sensor for turning on backlighting. Can anyone share whether that lux output can be used to program off of beyond just the backlight? In other words, if light level of that sensor reaches a level then turn all the lights in that room on or to a set level?  

FYI, you have the right idea but the product isn’t up to the challenge. The light sensors in the V2 lighting are notorious for poor readings. When you se people talking about engraving backlighting that pulses or doesn’t respond correctly, it’s the light sensor.

So yes in theory it should work. It won’t. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.