C4 Forums | Control4

Best Access Points

rf9000

8 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

I also need one outdoor access point. I have decided to use four Ruckus 610s and one Ruckus 710 for indoors, all on unleashed. Do I also need the 610/710 outdoor version, or would one of the lower models work well?

The outdoor versions of Ruckus are crazy expensive.   I would consider buying one of these as was recommended by @lippavisual.   Then put a used R510 or R610 in it (try to orientate horizontally) and take your chances.   Put it under a patio or soffit sealed well and should be ok.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oberon-1024-00-Indoor-Outdoor-Wall-Mount-Enclosure-Cabinet-New-In-Unopened-Box/284045324927

2 hours ago, rf9000 said:

I also need one outdoor access point. I have decided to use four Ruckus 610s and one Ruckus 710 for indoors, all on unleashed. Do I also need the 610/710 outdoor version, or would one of the lower models work well?

run the wire and let it hang wherever the access point would be mounted.  if you need it ya got it, if you dont you saved some money.  an outdoor AP is likely not needed the day you move in.  see how your indoor signal gets to your outside.  lots of variables on building material, distance, interference etc

3 hours ago, ejn1 said:

The outdoor versions of Ruckus are crazy expensive.   I would consider buying one of these as was recommended by @lippavisual.   Then put a used R510 or R610 in it (try to orientate horizontally) and take your chances.   Put it under a patio or soffit sealed well and should be ok.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oberon-1024-00-Indoor-Outdoor-Wall-Mount-Enclosure-Cabinet-New-In-Unopened-Box/284045324927

Thanks. Do you know of the indoor APs like the 610s and 710s can be painted or would this interfere with anything?

13 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

Thanks. Do you know of the indoor APs like the 610s and 710s can be painted or would this interfere with anything?

Not sure but others may know, but personally I wouldn't...    The Oberon recessed ceiling mount earlier mentioned stated in the description that its ceiling cover could be painted so that may be an option if ceiling paint match is important.  

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

run the wire and let it hang wherever the access point would be mounted.  if you need it ya got it, if you dont you saved some money.  an outdoor AP is likely not needed the day you move in.  see how your indoor signal gets to your outside.  lots of variables on building material, distance, interference etc

The property is water front. So this literally is an access point away from the home that users can log into while on the beach or nearby in a boat to access the C4 system. There are speakers and burial subwoofer in that area as a music zone, so want to have good wifi signal when at that area away from the house.

59 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

The property is water front. So this literally is an access point away from the home that users can log into while on the beach or nearby in a boat to access the C4 system. There are speakers and burial subwoofer in that area as a music zone, so want to have good wifi signal when at that area away from the house.

Run the wire.  If the Wi-Fi from the home doesn’t reach then go buy the access point.  Doesn’t change my opinion.  An extra Ethernet or 2 will always come in handy for something.  

3 hours ago, rf9000 said:

You may want to consider for this use case a Ruckus H510 which mounts horizontal.  You could put it in that weatherproof box I gave you the link on and fire it straight out toward the beach/boat vs your typically ceiling mount with donut wifi pattern.

https://www.commscope.com/product-type/enterprise-networking/wireless-access-points/indoor/h510/

5 hours ago, rf9000 said:

You can paint them, we do it all the time. Know that you may be voiding the warranty on a very expensive AP. We also use the foil brady labels on large jobs, we did an ekahau survey with no labesls, one label, and two labels, no change in performance. We also use cloth coverings up in the iron in theaters (commercial) as they generally want everything flat black.

3 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Run the wire.  If the Wi-Fi from the home doesn’t reach then go buy the access point.  Doesn’t change my opinion.  An extra Ethernet or 2 will always come in handy for something.  

^^^ This makes a lot of sense ^^^

1 hour ago, ejn1 said:

You may want to consider for this use case a Ruckus H510 which mounts horizontal.  You could put it in that weatherproof box I gave you the link on and fire it straight out toward the beach/boat vs your typically ceiling mount with donut wifi pattern.

https://www.commscope.com/product-type/enterprise-networking/wireless-access-points/indoor/h510/

Only issue with this is that these are (H)ospitality APs, meant for you to put one per room on a wall plate or behind the headboard in a hotel. They're limited to 50mw transmit on 2.4 and 80mw on 5ghz. That's about half of the normal indoor transmit power and much less than the actual T series outdoor units (250mw transmit on 2.4 and 200mw on 5ghz). An indoor in a box turned on its side would probably do better but Ive never tried and the point about coverage pattern being wrong is very valid. The real solution would be if you could mount an external antenna on an indoor but that goes against Ruckus's religion...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.