C4 Forums | Control4

Can I Power Toggle A Network Router In A Second Location

I would like to have a scheduled program that unplugs my network for a few minutes then plugs it back in. I have two HC800s. One in my house and one 300 feet away in my barn. They are connected by a wireless bridge. I have a C4 wireless outlet switch in the house with the modem, gateway and router connected. In the barn is a C4 wireless outlet switch with a router connected. Both routers are POE and have a wireless access point and wireless bridge connected to them. When I execute my command "open all outlets - delay 2 minutes - close all outlets" the barn doesn't come back online. I imagine this is because once the wireless link is broke between the two HC800s the close outlet in the barn command can't be sent. Is there any way to have the barn controller execute the close command without being connected to the house controller?

As this is a DIY board:

You could use a relay in the HC800.... but it'll be seconds till reboot, not minutes.

If just the modem and it uses a low voltage power supply, then one of these and a 12v power supply.
https://www.amazon.com/Akozon-Module-Adjustable-Timing-1-10sec/dp/B07H7J91RM/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=timed+relay&qid=1615040997&sr=8-14
It's a timer relay, so it'll hold the relay open for an adjustable amount of time (1-10s) once triggered by the HC800.

If its bunch of equipment on a strip, then you'll need to add a 12v triggered 120v relay as well after the timer relay.
https://www.amazon.com/Functional-Devices-RIBU1C-Enclosed-Pilot/dp/B000LESCI2/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=12v+coil+120v+relay&qid=1615041343&sr=8-5

HC800 relay closes, opens timer relay which disengages the equipment, timer expires, relay closes, equipment re-energizes.

~$30.

For a client, a pair of wattboxes.

Another idea is to run a telnet or ssh script to reboot the router.  Most routers run a form of Linux.  Write a script to telnet or ssh into it and send a reboot command from the shell prompt. Easy peasy to do from Python or maybe even a shell script. Probably cleaner as well since the router will hopefully do a proper shutdown. But you would have to have this command first, while you still have a good network connection.

Another potential way to fix the core problem is powerline networking, have you tried that? Best long term solution is to trench in a Cat6 run, but you probably already know that!

That way you can have a BAN (Barn Area Network).

Powerline networking can be finicky over distance too... worst case a pair of 900mhz ubnt bridges can burn through walls and trees... is slow but can do 100mbit. I just tested a pair for a customer and with transmit power turned all the way down I had it going through four walls and all the kitchen appliances with 92% signal quality...A pair of nanobridges can do hundreds of mbits and should be quite stable...they cannot handle interference in the frenznel zone between units. We have office space in two building and have a nanobridge pair that's been up for years....

1 hour ago, mindedc1 said:

Also, the ubnt gear has a watchdog that you can set to ping the far side and reboot itself if the link fails... no external dependencies...

Agreed - just throwing out other ideas.  Powerline is pretty cheap and you should be able to easily return the units if it doesn't work.

On 3/7/2021 at 8:22 AM, msgreenf said:

Meh. That isn't a toggle as you have to preplan that. 

Sounded like he wanted to have a set time it reboots overnight. That is the easiest do it yourself and cheapest option. Only question is will the outlet turn back on without network available idk answer to that one. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.