C4 Forums | Control4

Black and Decker Door Locks

swacker69

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shipping Delay - Kwikset Deadbolts

Dear Valued Control4 Dealer,

Orders for the Kwikset® SmartCode® with Home Connect™ Technology ZigBee Deadbolt were originally due to start shipping at the end of September, however due to a manufacturing delay, orders are now scheduled to start shipping in early-November. We are doing everything we can to improve the schedule and will keep you advised.

Please contact your Inside Sales Associate with any questions you may have.

I don't understand why anyone thinks $350 is too expensive. You all appear willing to pay $125 or more for a switch or dimmer. So what is so bad about a $350 deadbolt? I do agree that $350 is too much but I also think that $125 is too much. Your thoughts

For everything you can do with it, the price is right. I think the biometric ones from Schlage were $150? Then you have similar locks (this one is biometric) in regards to access control and auditing... $699...

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/fingerprint-thumblock-satin-nickel.html

So you really have to do a feature comparison for other locks in the same categories. Is it expensive compared to just a deadbolt? Sure is. Is it expensive considering that it's zigbee enabled, central user management, access control of codes, event based triggering programming, etc... nah, $350 seems like a good price.

For everything you can do with it, the price is right. I think the biometric ones from Schlage were $150? Then you have similar locks (this one is biometric) in regards to access control and auditing... $699...

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/fingerprint-thumblock-satin-nickel.html

So you really have to do a feature comparison for other locks in the same categories. Is it expensive compared to just a deadbolt? Sure is. Is it expensive considering that it's zigbee enabled, central user management, access control of codes, event based triggering programming, etc... nah, $350 seems like a good price.

I agree 100%. I travel a great deal and these will be great. Peace of mind for the wife, flexibility for the house.

Codeman is correct, they will be available from all of the B&D residential lock providers.

They do have plans for a "headless" version without the code keypad. But they don't have enough feedback from the field on how much of a priority that version should have in development. So if you want a headless version, please let them know!

As consumers, I'd guess the best route is to use the customer service link on the kwikset page:

http://www.kwikset.com/SupportPortal/NewCase.aspx

Dealers can contact their BDHHI rep and give them the request directly.

There are 2 people at BDHHI that head up this product line, and they have been very receptive to ideas for improving the line.

Personally, I've been asking for a headless deadbolt and a mortise lockset, and I know I was not the only one making those requests at Cedia.

The "new" locks are really just zigbee enabled versions of an existing product. I've been using several of them on other projects, and it looks like they just added a zigbee radio and some software for the initial release.

When you say headless, do you mean it looks like an old fashion door knob needing a key for entry? But can still lock/unlock via programming?

Yes, looks like a standard lock from the front, but still zigbee controllable, no "keypad" on top of the lock.

I don't mind the keypads for garage doors, back doors, etc. But they look out of place on a high-end front entrance.

Will there be any other control 4 options other than Kwikset? Price aside, Kwikset is limited on lock types and styles, Schlage has a lot more options.

Schlage has a z-wave lock thats ugly as sin in vatican city, I would say that the best thing to do would be wait these will become more common as zigbee becomes more common, which it will since its pretty much the standard for smart grid tech now

Good idea, Thanks

Will there be any other control 4 options other than Kwikset? Price aside' date=' Kwikset is limited on lock types and styles, Schlage has a lot more options.[/quote']

Schlage has a z-wave lock thats ugly as sin in vatican city, I would say that the best thing to do would be wait these will become more common as zigbee becomes more common, which it will since its pretty much the standard for smart grid tech now

Archived