C4 Forums | Control4

Black and Decker Door Locks

swacker69

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Control4 system has nothing to do with whether the lock will let you in when you arrive home.

You use the keypad on the lock, after it locks or unlocks, it reports status to the Control4 system. If the Control4 system is offline, or the lock is offline on it's ZigBee status, the lock still unlocks with the keypad, just like the standalone ones do.

You would not get status updates on your Control4 system if that were the case, and you couldn't use your Control4 system to control the lock, but the lock itself would still work fine.

That's pretty common with most devices Control4 integrates with. If the Control4 system were to go away, your security system would still function, your lights would still work (although 'all off' would not), etc.

RyanE

I do tend to agree that $350 prices it out of the market for most of my clients. What is confusing is that the exact same piece from Kwikset without the Zigbee sells for $99 at Home Depot. So the Zigbee integration really costs $250? I doubt that.

I do tend to agree that $350 prices it out of the market for most of my clients. What is confusing is that the exact same piece from Kwikset without the Zigbee sells for $99 at Home Depot. So the Zigbee integration really costs $250? I doubt that.

I agree its a total ripoff, but I am buying one anyway. I am sure most people who can afford a 5-10k C4 system can spring for the $350 :)

Black and Decker have to recover costs spent to deliver that additional functionality, and this lock will no doubt have a smaller audience to amortize those costs over.

I agree, it's a bit pricey, but the ZigBee integration *did* cost some amount of money, and recovering that investment may take quite a few lock sales, even at somewhat of a premium.

RyanE

Edited to Add: I disagree that it's a total ripoff.

The economics of developing a product that has a significant development cost and recovering those costs from a small unit sales require the individual cost of that product to be higher.

The same was said about the first VCRs, Plasma TVs and cell phones. Most high tech products cost more when they are first introduced, but become more affordable as the economies of scale and high unit sales drive down prices.

I agree its a total ripoff' date=' but I am buying one anyway. I am sure most people who can afford a 5-10k C4 system can spring for the $350 :)[/quote']

LOL- 5-10K on a C4 system? OK, maybe some spent that (dare I say) little...

Anyway, a upper-class lockset is not $350- that's big-box quality lockset. $350 for the gadgetry is reasonable and you probably will see it discounted beffore too long.

Most of my jobs are less than 3K so it's out of much of my market.

I'm not doubting the usefulness of it or the value of it to some, I just wish it was priced a little more for the common person that I deal with.

"upper-class" lockset. This is not an upper-class lockset. It's a big-box lockset with a zigbee radio in it.

I've had the non-zigbee version on my house for years, it was more than $200 when they were first released and came with 2 keyfobs. I'd expect the new units to be as reliable as the original and they've made some size reductions over the 1st gen product it would appear.

C4 dimmers are more expensive than an old rotary dimmer, it's the added functionality and integration that makes it worth the added cost.

you probably will see it discounted before too long.

That is what I am waiting for. It isn't the fact that they are "priced out of my budget", I am just a cheap-ass (there, I said it...happy Cody =) ).

I will get them if I can get them in the $125 - $200 range. I have fabulous looking door handles/locks right now, and while this integration would nice, I would need 4 of these things. That's ~$1,500...

That is what I am waiting for. It isn't the fact that they are "priced out of my budget"' date=' I am just a cheap-ass (there, I said it...happy Cody =) ).

I will get them if I can get them in the $125 - $200 range. I have fabulous looking door handles/locks right now, and while this integration would nice, I would need 4 of these things. That's ~$1,500...[/quote']

Well. I can appreciate your concern. Door knobs aren't the most sexy thing in the world to be spending money on. Personally, I have French-made door harware throughout and the current offerings would not like too good with our architecture.

That is what I am waiting for. It isn't the fact that they are "priced out of my budget"' date=' I am just a cheap-ass (there, I said it...happy Cody =) ).

I will get them if I can get them in the $125 - $200 range. I have fabulous looking door handles/locks right now, and while this integration would nice, I would need 4 of these things. That's ~$1,500...[/quote']

Well. I can appreciate your concern. Door knobs aren't the most sexy thing in the world to be spending money on. Personally, I have French-made door harware throughout and the current offerings would not like too good with our architecture.

I haven't even taken the time to see what these zigbee locks look like since I saw the price.

I am no interior designer so I can't very well say properly what style our design is, but we have oil-rubbed/antiqued bronze fixures.

I know that I don't like the big keypad, they would have to have a version without that before I considered buying them at any price, for the front door anyways. Our front door is about 113" tall and is antiqued wood...those buttons definately wouldn't fly.

I just installed mine over the weekend. It's not the prettiest thing, for sure. Luckily, this one is on a garage service door, so function takes precedent over appearance. It does what it's supposed to do - remind me that someone left the service door unlocked.

I don't think I would consider these for any other doors until the inside unit is a bit smaller, and the price drops a bit.

Most of my jobs are less than 3K so it's out of much of my market.

Man' date=' I wish I got my system for less than 3k...[/quote']

Ditto

What kind of system can you install for under 3K? Is this one controller and one light switch?

Archived