C4 Forums | Control4

Difference between KC120277 and KD120

• 2 years later...
On 7/3/2021 at 7:43 PM, msgreenf said:

Kc = keypad only 

KD = keypad dimmer. Meaning a load can also be connected to it that is dimmable

Can the C4-KD120 act as a on/off switch instead of dimmer?  I currently have a three-way wire for my garage overhead lights.  I believe that the switch in the garage is a C4-FPD120 which I am considering changing to a C4-KD120.  The 2nd switch for the three-way wiring is a C4-KA.  For this wiring situation can the C4-KA be changed with to C4-KC120277.

In summary current three way is controlled C4-FPD120 and C4-KA, with my thought to install a C4-KD120 and C4-KC120277?  Would this work?  As I can repurpose/reprogram the C4-FPD120 and C4-KA in my project. 

1 hour ago, IBZICON said:

Can the C4-KD120 act as a on/off switch instead of dimmer?  I currently have a three-way wire for my garage overhead lights.  I believe that the switch in the garage is a C4-FPD120 which I am considering changing to a C4-KD120.  The 2nd switch for the three-way wiring is a C4-KA.  For this wiring situation can the C4-KA be changed with to C4-KC120277.

In summary current three way is controlled C4-FPD120 and C4-KA, with my thought to install a C4-KD120 and C4-KC120277?  Would this work?  As I can repurpose/reprogram the C4-FPD120 and C4-KA in my project. 

Technically no. A dimmer can actually like a switch almost but not fully. 

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Technically no. A dimmer can actually like a switch almost but not fully. 

Interesting, as getting quotes to re-due parts of my system, a dealer mentioned changing the C4-FPD120 at the bottom of my garage stairs to a programable keypad with three buttons for scenes, such as Lights, Home, and Away.  However, he didn't mentioned anything about changing out the C4-KA.  

I assume that the C4-KA in the hallway can be switched out for a C4-KC120277?

Thank you, as this is why I asked on this forum--getting too much conflicting information with my onsite walkthrough quotes. 

Yes. A aux and keypad are theoretically the same but with a few major differences the biggest that with a aux if your system goes down it still works. With a keypad on the far end your system needs to be up to work 

5 hours ago, RAV said:

We also would not replace a KA with a KC when stairs, or other safety necessary locations, are involved.

I'm using your suggestion and staying with the KA for the stairways.  Thank you.