C4 Forums | Control4

Receiver Volume Decreasing on its own

Hey Everyone,

I have a pioneer elite receiver SC-LX704 and recently I noticed it will decrease its volume on its own one time per session and I haven't been able to figure out why.  I use the Apple version of the C4 app to set the volume when I start watching.  What happens exactly is I will start a movie, turn the volume level from 68 to 70. After an undetermined amount of time, might be 5 - 10 minutes I will go back and look at the volume and it will be back to 68.  If I increase it again to 70 it will remain at 70 though.  Next time I use the receiver it will be basically the exact same experience.  Something I do find interesting though is that when the volume drops it doesn't show on the screen the volume has changed, which it normally does if Im increasing or decreasing the volume through C4 app or through the OEM remote.  The only way I know is to randomly look in the C4 app if I feel like the sound sounds a little less than normal.

Anyone have a similar experience before?  Im pretty sure I don't have any volume programming set anywhere in C4.

Thanks

Odd. Could be some weird HDMI control item, or possible a set volume command (discrete, so 'go to 68%) which could be a system setting (default volume, programming) or a setting on the pioneer itself. It's much to slow for those later options though, at least normally.

Default volumes can be set all over the place (and too many conflicting defaults can be an issue).  Places to look include on the receiver itself, in any related room control driver and in the miscellaneous setting for the room (under monitoring).  I had all 3 set at one stage and could take some time (not 10 minutes but maybe 2 or 3 before it settled which default volume was taking precedence and locked and loaded).  Ideally you want only one default volume.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be resolved for the moment. I did a power plug pull on the receiver, but also left the door to the rack open and it didn’t do it. Maybe it was overheating. Will continue to monitor it though and see. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update. So I recorded my receiver while I watched some movies. After 3 hours the LCD screen displayed High Temp and lowered the volume. I talked to Pioneer support and they told me playing my receiver at 70% for long periods of time is not advised. 
Lol. I was like you have got to be kidding me. They said the ideal volume setting is 50%. 
So much for their Elite receiver being “pro” class. If this is their stance I definitely won’t be buying another pioneer product. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 9:58 PM, Topfox said:

Update. So I recorded my receiver while I watched some movies. After 3 hours the LCD screen displayed High Temp and lowered the volume. I talked to Pioneer support and they told me playing my receiver at 70% for long periods of time is not advised. 
Lol. I was like you have got to be kidding me. They said the ideal volume setting is 50%. 
So much for their Elite receiver being “pro” class. If this is their stance I definitely won’t be buying another pioneer product. 

May be u can suck the temp out of it, try the AC Infinity cooling fan systems, it’s wonderful and u won’t regret it ever, it’s a good investment, they have many systems try Amazon.

2 minutes ago, Amr said:

May be u can suck the temp out of it, try the AC Infinity cooling fan systems, it’s wonderful and u won’t regret it ever, it’s a good investment, they have many systems try Amazon.

Yep that’s exactly what I did. I had an AC Infinity exhaust fan on the rack for about a year, but I added an intake fan to the bottom of the rack and also added a AC Infinity Receiver cooler directly on top of the receiver. So far holding up good, but still find it interesting I went maybe a year + without this being an issue. 

Heat/Humidity kills equipment, I added a front exhaust unit to my Sony Receiver in my living room and it stopped dropping of the network and some other strange behavior.  Programmed it with a power socket to turn ON when using the receiver and OFF 15 mins after receiver shutdown.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.