C4 Forums | Control4

Outdoor TV Audio

What type of configuration are people using to bring Outdoor TV Audio to landscape speakers.  Assuming that traditional landscape speakers are in place, and wired appropriately, how are you pulling the audio off the tv?  Prior to the smart tv generation,  we would pull audio off the source, and run it through a matrix into the standard amp and then through the speakers.  But this only works if the source physically exists separate from the tv, and has separate audio outputs.

We are running into the following problems (not at the same time)

1. The TV is a smart tv, client is using apps on the smart tv, so we need to get audio off the tv, and into our amp.

2.The source no longer has audio out, so we cannot get it into our amp (cable boxes, etc)

3. We can get the audio out of the source or tv, but only in digital, and all these landscape amp setups are analog.  We can convert, but then there are sync issues.

Is there a product on the market we are missing here? a small dedicated amp specifically for this, that potentially could take a digital signal without creating a sync lag?

13 minutes ago, malelan said:

What type of configuration are people using to bring Outdoor TV Audio to landscape speakers.  Assuming that traditional landscape speakers are in place, and wired appropriately, how are you pulling the audio off the tv?  Prior to the smart tv generation,  we would pull audio off the source, and run it through a matrix into the standard amp and then through the speakers.  But this only works if the source physically exists separate from the tv, and has separate audio outputs.

We are running into the following problems (not at the same time)

1. The TV is a smart tv, client is using apps on the smart tv, so we need to get audio off the tv, and into our amp.

2.The source no longer has audio out, so we cannot get it into our amp (cable boxes, etc)

3. We can get the audio out of the source or tv, but only in digital, and all these landscape amp setups are analog.  We can convert, but then there are sync issues.

Is there a product on the market we are missing here? a small dedicated amp specifically for this, that potentially could take a digital signal without creating a sync lag?

I use an AppleTV and take the audio off the HDMI connector. When using the "landscape" speakers we have to turn off the volume on the TV as there is a slight echo. Thankfully we have speakers next to the TV.

Thank you, that is helpful.  Assume you are using some type of digital-analog convertor, to pull the audio out of the hdmi cable and pipe it into your existing analog amp.  Does this not create any sync/delay issues for you?  Any idea where one you're using?

Another thing i didn't put in my post up above, but there is still a requirement/need to be able to route music through these speakers, so if we do use a dedicated amp model, we'd need to be able to get a 2nd input into that amp from our matrix to access the standard music sources.

25 minutes ago, malelan said:

Thank you, that is helpful.  Assume you are using some type of digital-analog convertor, to pull the audio out of the hdmi cable and pipe it into your existing analog amp.  Does this not create any sync/delay issues for you?  Any idea where one you're using?

Another thing i didn't put in my post up above, but there is still a requirement/need to be able to route music through these speakers, so if we do use a dedicated amp model, we'd need to be able to get a 2nd input into that amp from our matrix to access the standard music sources.

I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Blackbird-Audio-Extractor-18Gbps/dp/B076CK9D5Y/ref=sr_1_3?crid=140NM215I79KG&keywords=Monoprice+Blackbird+4K+HDMI+Audio+Extractor&qid=1657642758&s=electronics&sprefix=monoprice+blackbird+4k+hdmi+audio+extractor%2Celectronics%2C34&sr=1-3

I then pipe it to the C4 Matrix Amp and out the 3 zones covering the backyard. I also have an controller outside, so it pipes any music requirement for the outside zone.

Hope that helps.

We basically do the same.  Run sources (Xfinity cable, AppleTV, NAS, etc.) through the video matrix, which down-mixes to the audio matrix and then can be distributed to all the audio speakers.  We use all the time while in the pool to watch TV and listen via the pool-side speakers.  Works well with no timing issues.  You can still watch the SmartTV apps, but only "local" audio.  I've looked at running audio back to the matrix from the SmartTVs, but more than I want to spend (so far).

The biggest issue I see with my setup is I have to choose between video quality optimization (i.e. SmartTV apps get 4k HDR content via stream) vs. audio quality optimization (my video matrix - C4 LU862D - has to push 1080p because I have an old Pioneer Elite that I just can't give up and you can't mix 1080p and 4k on the matrix).  Still more than I'm ready to spend right now to solve the issue (i.e. new video matrix that has 4k HDR capability plus 1080p and 4k HDR output simultaneously)!

But I have to say we love the setup here and works well for us.  We've had it for 5 years.

Are you sure the TV does not have audio out?  Pretty much all TVs that I have seen have various types of audio out - headphone jacks, RCA audio out or SPDIF.  I have a few instances where I run the audio out from the TV into a matrix amp to distribute.  The other option is to buy a Roku and use the Roku rather than the TV's apps. But then you will likely need an HDMI audio extractor.  The Roku cost is pretty insignificant compared to dealer futzing around costs.

17 hours ago, zaphod said:

Are you sure the TV does not have audio out?  Pretty much all TVs that I have seen have various types of audio out - headphone jacks, RCA audio out or SPDIF.  I have a few instances where I run the audio out from the TV into a matrix amp to distribute.  The other option is to buy a Roku and use the Roku rather than the TV's apps. But then you will likely need an HDMI audio extractor.  The Roku cost is pretty insignificant compared to dealer futzing around costs.

The TV DOES have audio out, we used to run this configuration in the past, but there were some problems with it in C4.  I.E if multiple tvs are connected to matrix with TV OUT, Control4 wasn't intelligently linking that particular tv's output to that room, this may have been fixed (this was years ago).  the scenario was something along these lines.

TV 1, 2, and 3 are all wired on audio out back to matrix.

TV 3 is watching Source 1, but the speakers in the room with TV 3 are being fed by the audio out from TV 1 or 2 (because those are considered viable paths), however if TV 1 or 2 are not on, or on any other source, everything broke down.

If i use the audio out directly to a dedicated amp for yard speakers, that could work (no matrix switching) but then i can't bring in music audio easily.

40 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

That’s what the AV Path Setter driver is for.  You can tell the system whether the audio path is viable for other rooms or strictly for that room.  Hasn’t been a logic issue for some time now. 

Hey, that's pretty cool,  I was not aware of this driver, thank you.

I was made aware of this ARC extractor the other day. Haven't tried it yet.
Uses TVs HDMI ARC feature to output optical, coax AND analog audio outputs.
Can also be set to function as a D/A and as a Coax/Optic converter/splitter.
Bought one to try, as it should serve multiple purposes.
~$25

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XV2B6T4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.