C4 Forums | Control4

RGB control4 lighting control

Speed4502

Question

I am trying to control two RGB lighting coves that will be controlled with homeworks and control4. I have done my research and found this video on all forums on this topic. My question is this the only way to do this? Is this still good? these forum topic was 4-6 years ago. Is there a newer or better way?

17 answers to this question

Take a look at Mirusinc.net our LED lighting system uses TCP Unicast with 2 way communication. Most installs are centralized DC lighting panels. We are about to release remote 4ch dimmer units that support local power supply or POC with Cat6, either setup supports 12-48v DC.

Thanks guys.

@Rav- I've seen the shelly system but I have read that it doesn't always work. Have you had any problems with it?

@mstafford388- Do any ip controlled DMX work with control4? Cause my new problem is trying to find a controller that holds more then 360w(the PX24500 is max 360w on 24v)

Appreciate the help guys just trying to warp my head around the RGB thing.

43 minutes ago, Speed4502 said:

@RAV What happens if the WIFI goes out or they don't have internet for whatever reason? do you lose control all together or is a mesh network or RF signal created? 

G'day, I wrote the chowmain shelly driver. Our Shelly driver only uses Cloud for self-healing of IP's, easy auto-setup of devices and other non-critical functionality (a lot of installers don't even install the agent). The modules themselves only use standard WIFI for communications, and we communicate to them using local network.  No RF or mesh. They're as stable as your local LAN. 

There are 2 generations of devices, and the second generation performs even better than the older ones (no need for polling for status feedback, so they're also very CPU efficient)

Any questions, happy to help. 

More info is on: https://chowmain.software/drivers/control4-shelly-generic

15 hours ago, Speed4502 said:

@RAV What happens if the WIFI goes out or they don't have internet for whatever reason? do you lose control all together or is a mesh network or RF signal created? 

You've got bigger issues than loss of control of the cove lights if your WiFi isn't stable and reliable.
As Andrew said, it's local control, not reliant on the Internet.

Another neat feature, you can access their web browser through OvrC remotely.
So if you ever need a cheap way to reboot something, it's very inexpensive to make an inline power cord reboot device.

@Andrew luecke

@RAV

Okay so I brought the shelly rgbw2. The wiring seems simple enough but I can't the shelly to turn on. It's suppose to flash green when it connected but no dice, I've tried it on two separate shelly units and I can't get this thing to turn on. So glad i'm trying this in my show room first. So what am I doing wrong? I got the RGB in the right stops and I connected my transformer to the shelly for power and the RGB lights come on but the shelly unit does not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated this thing got me beat so far. lol  

22 minutes ago, Speed4502 said:

Oh and on a different note I can't even do the same as the video the drivers don't even show up on composer. Frustrated Head GIF

G'day,

maybe maybe do a factory reset of the RGBW2, and follow the manual setup instructions for configuration. 

In regards to the drivers not showing up.. If you send me your email address, I can give you access to the latest Release candidate (which is heaps better) .. Keep in mind, Shelly Cloud is under the Agents tab, not the normal project tab, and make sure you have local ticked in composer. You can't use Composer Express for configuration. Were you referring to shelly though or DMX?

6 minutes ago, Andrew luecke said:

G'day,

maybe maybe do a factory reset of the RGBW2, and follow the manual setup instructions for configuration. 

In regards to the drivers not showing up.. If you send me your email address, I can give you access to the latest Release candidate (which is heaps better) .. Keep in mind, Shelly Cloud is under the Agents tab, not the normal project tab, and make sure you have local ticked in composer. You can't use Composer Express for configuration. Were you referring to shelly though or DMX?

Hey meant the old dmx way. I would prefer the Shelly. I just can’t get the Shelly on I wire in the 24v transformer and the Shelly does nothing.

thanks for the quick response!

E0248BAA-631B-4FD8-B8E6-A98641A4D2A5.jpeg

E6AE8FEC-A745-4C99-BF1D-AB2570D51C34.jpeg

25 minutes ago, RAV said:

Based on the upper picture, you don't have any power to the Shelly.

I just took that picture at the end of the day. I provide power from the 300w transformer and the lights come on but the shelly doesn't have a flashing green light to be able to connect to the app.

1 hour ago, RAV said:

Based on the upper picture, you don't have any power to the Shelly.

Here are better pictures.

first three wires are the RGB the next one is negative power coming from a 24V 300W transformer and the other is the positive from the transformer with the black of the RGB.

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

9 hours ago, Speed4502 said:

Here are better pictures.

first three wires are the RGB the next one is negative power coming from a 24V 300W transformer and the other is the positive from the transformer with the black of the RGB.

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

I'd probably try to message Shelly tech support or/and pull out a multimeter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.