C4 Forums | Control4

Honeywell T10 Thermostat - any experience?

eggzlot

I am looking to replace an older V1 C4 Thermostat. The price seems insane for a T-stat.  The Honeywell T10 is ~1/2 the price, and per the wiring diagram it will work with remote sensors.  I guess that is par for the course with C4 hardware versus 3rd party hardware but for something basic like a TStat that is buried in a boiler room, I’d rather save the $ where possible.

Anyone have experience using it within C4 or installing the drivers for a customer in c4?  Any pros and cons?  The public C4 Driver database seems to show Honeywell Home drivers or something, so does that TStat fall under that family?

I also see an older T6/Lyric will work with a remote sensor but figured I may be better off buying a newer T10 so it can last a bit longer from a technology / update perspective. 

I have a Honeywell WiFi thermostat. Nothing special but it works and I can see it and adjust temperature on Control4 (the driver is now free). I don’t do any programming against it so don’t know if that works great. I know you can’t do scheduling in control4 with it. 

I would expect the control4 integration with other thermostats would get better since I don’t think control4 wants to make another thermostat. At least that’s what they said several years ago but their strategy may have changed. If they do make another I would bet it would be WiFi and not zigbee

8 minutes ago, therockhr said:

I would expect the control4 integration with other thermostats would get better since I don’t think control4 wants to make another thermostat. At least that’s what they said several years ago but their strategy may have changed. If they do make another I would bet it would be WiFi and not zigbee

They already don't make the one they sell. It's made by aprilaire

1 hour ago, therockhr said:

I have a Honeywell WiFi thermostat. Nothing special but it works and I can see it and adjust temperature on Control4 (the driver is now free). I don’t do any programming against it so don’t know if that works great. I know you can’t do scheduling in control4 with it. 

What model do you have?  Is it Lyric or Honeywell Home?   And you cannot set up a daily schedule within c4, just adjust up/down or turn on/off?  Hmmm, a slight drawback.

Any other brands work within c4 that also work with a wired remote sensor?

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

What model do you have?  Is it Lyric or Honeywell Home?   And you cannot set up a daily schedule within c4, just adjust up/down or turn on/off?  Hmmm, a slight drawback.

Any other brands work within c4 that also work with a wired remote sensor?

Honeywell Total Connect (I guess that is Honeywell home). It is model RTH8580WF1007  And is discontinued https://www.honeywellhome.com/us/en/products/air/thermostats/wifi-thermostats/wi-fi-7-day-programmable-touchscreen-thermostat-rth8580wf1007-w1/?bvstate=pg:9/ct:r it is a fine thermostat but I wouldn’t recommend it for control4. And no you can not set up scheduling through control4. Hopefully someone can tell me I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure that it’s a limitation of the driver/api. It is also a cloud driver so no advantage there either.

Everyone seems to recommend ecobee if you are ok with cloud driver. 

I have the T10 thermostat and it’s working great. You can’t create schedules from the touchscreen/UI. That needs to be done in the Resideo app but I can see the temperature and adjust the thermostat just fine through C4. I had Ecobee in the past (without C4 integration) and found it to be very flakey. The driver is free and takes only a few minutes to setup. 

10 hours ago, therockhr said:

Honeywell Total Connect (I guess that is Honeywell home). It is model RTH8580WF1007  And is discontinued https://www.honeywellhome.com/us/en/products/air/thermostats/wifi-thermostats/wi-fi-7-day-programmable-touchscreen-thermostat-rth8580wf1007-w1/?bvstate=pg:9/ct:r it is a fine thermostat but I wouldn’t recommend it for control4. And no you can not set up scheduling through control4. Hopefully someone can tell me I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure that it’s a limitation of the driver/api. It is also a cloud driver so no advantage there either.

8 hours ago, squaredroot said:

I have the T10 thermostat and it’s working great. You can’t create schedules from the touchscreen/UI. That needs to be done in the Resideo app but I can see the temperature and adjust the thermostat just fine through C4. I had Ecobee in the past (without C4 integration) and found it to be very flakey. The driver is free and takes only a few minutes to setup. 

Thanks all - Ecobee isnt an option because it does not allow for a wired remote sensor which is what I already have set up.

And stinks T10 and other honeywell thermostats dont have the scheduling function within c4.  I'll have to figure out whats important - cost savings vs keeping it all within 1 app.

11 hours ago, therockhr said:

btw - why would you not recommend with C4?  because its a cloud driver?  the lack of scheduling options?  Something else?  I have at least 1 I need to replace but have 4 total Tstats, so its a significant cost savings when looking to potentially swap out 4 of them.  at least 1 C4 tstat is certainly giving me issues, another one is kinda starting to maybe show the same issues...

12 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

btw - why would you not recommend with C4?  because its a cloud driver?  the lack of scheduling options?  Something else?  I have at least 1 I need to replace but have 4 total Tstats, so its a significant cost savings when looking to potentially swap out 4 of them.  at least 1 C4 tstat is certainly giving me issues, another one is kinda starting to maybe show the same issues...

i dont know. haha. I figured the lack of C4 scheduling and cloud driver requirement would be turn offs for someone wanting C4 integration. But from the looks of it, just about everything but the C4 thermostat is going to be a cloud driver. I also dont really even use scheduling so that part doesnt matter to me either. so all in all the integration works fine for me. while I wouldnt "recommend it" i guess i wouldnt want to dissuade someone either. It works.

I also cant speak on the programming aspect either as I just havent done anything against it.

Years ago this wasnt a built in driver and was really expensive. That has changed though.

Honeywell makes solid products so you dont have to worry about the actual thermostat not performing. It sounds like this may be a good option for you.

Need or Nice?

The way I discuss cloud drivers, third party etc, is:
"Do you need it to work in the Control4 environment, or is it only a would be nice if it did?"

If it's a need to, then use the Control4 offering, or a non cloud driver.
If it's a bonus, then understand the limitation's of a cloud driver.

The Control4 costs more because they buy it, handle the zigbee, driver and distribute it. So wholesale + control4 compensation + dealer compensation.

8 minutes ago, RAV said:

Need or Nice?

"Do you need it to work in the Control4 environment, or is it only a would be nice if it did?"

this is a pretty good way to think about it. my thermostat is definitely in that category. I never had it integrated until they made the driver free.

9 minutes ago, RAV said:

The Control4 costs more because they buy it, handle the zigbee, driver and distribute it. So wholesale + control4 compensation + dealer compensation.

That and Aprilaire thermostats seem to just be higher than most others as well.

I wish I could find the quote but a C4 executive years ago said they hoped to never make another thermostat. It was more talking about a direction to be more software oriented but I think it would probably still ring true even though they seem to not be afraid of making new hardware. It does seem like they have shifted their focus more to audio so I could see that being their last thermostat.

10 minutes ago, RAV said:

Need or Nice?

I know why the C4 model is more expensive, same can be said for a lot of C4 branded devices versus non C4 branded hardware.  If the one drawback is lack of scheduling I think to save $$$ I can do that in a 3rd party app.  If I only needed 1 I'd go C4, with the prospects of needing 4, I hesitate.

14 minutes ago, therockhr said:

i dont know. haha. I figured the lack of C4 scheduling and cloud driver requirement would be turn offs for someone wanting C4 integration. But from the looks of it, just about everything but the C4 thermostat is going to be a cloud driver. I also dont really even use scheduling so that part doesnt matter to me either. so all in all the integration works fine for me. while I wouldnt "recommend it" i guess i wouldnt want to dissuade someone either. It works.

I also cant speak on the programming aspect either as I just havent done anything against it.

Years ago this wasnt a built in driver and was really expensive. That has changed though.

Honeywell makes solid products so you dont have to worry about the actual thermostat not performing. It sounds like this may be a good option for you.

Fair enough - my only hesitation with Honeywell is if they decide to change pace, want to push Residio or whatever, and all of the sudden there are subscription fees, there is a cut off with their partners *cough sonos* etc.  Yes I know Sonos and MyQ were reverse hacks and Honeywell is authorized, but they can change their business model.

1 minute ago, therockhr said:

this is a pretty good way to think about it. my thermostat is definitely in that category. I never had it integrated until they made the driver free.

That and Aprilaire thermostats seem to just be higher than most others as well.

I wish I could find the quote but a C4 executive years ago said they hoped to never make another thermostat. It was more talking about a direction to be more software oriented but I think it would probably still ring true even though they seem to not be afraid of making new hardware. It does seem like they have shifted their focus more to audio so I could see that being their last thermostat.

well if it is their last, they should find a way with 3rd party partners to get scheduling functions available via an API.  otherwise its kinda odd not to have that ability.  I can see like Tablets/Intercom crippling a feature to sell more of your own hardware, but if they arent going to sell TStats (all conjecture) then they should find a way to make the mass market ones work better within c4.

8 hours ago, eggzlot said:

well if it is their last, they should find a way with 3rd party partners to get scheduling functions available via an API.  otherwise its kinda odd not to have that ability.  I can see like Tablets/Intercom crippling a feature to sell more of your own hardware, but if they arent going to sell TStats (all conjecture) then they should find a way to make the mass market ones work better within c4.

I've used Honeywell thermostats and then switched to Ecobee.  The Honeywells are solid as thermostats, but I had all kinds of issues programming against them in C4.  Ecobee was much better.  And, its flakiness seems to have improved over the past year or two.

You could use Ecobees in your setup, albeit with some compromises.  If you place a wireless remote sensor where each of your current wired sensors are, and then put the basic Ecobee Lite thermostats in the boiler room, that will work.  You can set up your Ecobee so that it operates based only on the remote sensor.  Since the sensors are mission critical, you probably want to put two of them in each location, in case one of them runs out of battery power.  Definitely not as elegant as using a wired sensor, but it may be worth considering if you don't see one unassailable option.

We do use one of our Ecobees this way, because that particular thermostat is mounted in a location that gets a ton of sun, which distorts the temp readings.  We have multiple remote sensors connected, and we almost always get battery alerts well before they run out completely. It works fine.

21 minutes ago, therockhr said:

@eggzloti wanted to follow up with you on this. I am using the Honeywell RTH8500WF thermostat which is several years old. This is on the old Honeywell Total Connect platform. I think the T10 is on the Honeywell Home platform. I think they use the same Control4 driver but not for sure.

appreciate it

going to give the C4 v2 a shot.  its 2x the price, but can work with the wired sensor, can do all programming/scheduling, etc.  The other ones lasted me ~9 years through 2 rounds of heavy construction in the house so I cannot really complain.

• 2 months later...
On 10/23/2022 at 11:40 PM, squaredroot said:

@squaredrootcan you share the driver you’re using? 

I have (3) t10’s in my new house and the control4 dealer I’m working with isn’t positive they can make these t-stats work. 

In C4 can you tell me. If you’re in a schedule and you adjust the temp, but want to “remove hold” can you do that?  Trying to better learn about my limitations. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.