C4 Forums | Control4

Digital input on controller vs matrix?

LollerAgent

Question

I'm adding a new Bluesound Node to my project.  Should I connect it to a digital input on my EA5 or my AMS24 (like my other sources)?

I don't understand why you would use a controller input vs a matrix input.  I've seen folks say they use either/or.  Why would I choose one over the other?

4 answers to this question

I'm adding a new Bluesound Node to my project.  Should I connect it to a digital input on my EA5 or my AMS24 (like my other sources)?
I don't understand why you would use a controller input vs a matrix input.  I've seen folks say they use either/or.  Why would I choose one over the other?

I loved the Bluesound Node. There were a few things that I didn’t like regarding playlists for keypads or something. I can’t remember. But at one point I was all Bluesound. At my office I have a cutting edge current C4 setup with native & Mirage (only for Spotify). At home I settled for HEOS since I have 3 Denon AVR zones and it made 100% sense fir grouping. HEOS integration is not that common I noticed, but it’s very very good. Far better than Sonos (integration-wise). And the HEOS (Denon Home 550) sound bars sound beautiful.

In order of my preference:

All in all I find native to be best (albeit I don’t love having to open the Spotify app to use Spotify)

Mirage a very close second (more robust Spotify and the sound is fantastic).

HEOS (allows AVR zones to group very nicely, lots of devices, sounds amazing).

Bluesound (great sound, smooth integration, lots of equipment options)

Sonos (it’s hard to overlook its popularity and product offerings)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

I don't understand why you would use a controller input vs a matrix input.

For digital sources, I don't think there is a reason to ever connect to controller versus matrix--- perhaps other than if you are out of inputs on your matrix and this is the only possible path without buying more gear.

Not relevant to digital Bluesound, but as a matter of trivia, I had a situation where i had to connect an ANALOG source to controller instead of matrix.   I have a Pulse-Eight ProAudio32 and it does not reliably route analog inputs to digital outputs-- normally not a problem since primary outputs are analog connections to Amps.  But I was also outputting to AVR zones via digital connections and to an additional matrix.   I was adding a turntable (analog) and it wouldn't play in AVR zones and zones off the secondary matrix.   I figured out the issue and plugged turntable into Core5 (already connected to matrix via digital).  Boom.  Everything worked.  Again, just trivia, not responding to your Q.   (I also acknowledge that putting an ADC converter (and a DAC) in the signal path of a turntable is terrible design for audio quality, but I couldn't tell the difference)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.