C4 Forums | Control4

Control 4 dealer issue

We recently purchased a home that has a control 4 system.  The owner had the lights, music, tv and alarm system connected via this system.  We just wanted an audible alarm and so we were using the alarm feature, thinking it wasn’t still being monitored as the previous owners had sold the home to us.  Nope!  Their alarm service is still connected and being monitored.  
We wanted the smart home feature but do we need to have a service contract in order to have the tv, lights and just an audible alarm working (no monitoring feature that calls the police)? We’re used to a simple stand alone alarm system where you have the option to have it monitored by a security company or just have an alarm that only makes noise and nothing else.  
Thank you. 

How do I get the monitoring company to stop calling the police when the alarm goes off?  I don’t have a contract with this monitoring company/control 4 dealer; the previous owners did and it’s still active.  

it really depends on how your system is setup to be honest. 

Probably best to get a local dealer involved to check out the system and see what can be done and potentially show you guys how to use the system etc. 

In regards to the alarm you would have to contact the alarm monitoring company to solve this, its likely the previous homeowner paid a yearly fee for this so theres still time on the contract. 

Where are you located?

were a control4 dealer based in the UK and have done a lot of remote work for many clients around the world. 

Happy to help with this 

Thanks 

Muj

Thank you for your help offering.  We are in spring, Tx USA. I’m going to call the dealer in a few hours to see about them releasing the hostage -our home- from the alarm monitoring.

We didn’t sign up with the dealer (we just got here), the previous owner did and they’ve been playing lost this entire time re:the alarm monitoring.  I think it’s because they’re still in a binding contract with this dealer until the year is up and didn’t bother to inform us.  We were thinking we could just use the noise function on the alarm only.  We’ve had to figure this out slowly.  We come from a home that wasn’t technology integrated. Not even close. 

The alarm monitoring might be separate from the control4 dealer, with experience its usually 2 companies. 

But yeah, call them and see if they can release for you. 

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to get in touch!

We can also help with setting up the control4 system in your home to exactly how you'd like it, rather than how the previous homeowner had it.

Thanks 

Muj

First, congrats on owning a c4 home! Done right, you’ll come to love it. That was our journey - got into c4 when we bought a house w a c4 system already installed. 

Second, I hear you in the need to have your system done your way. Get it. If I were you, I would rethink my reluctance to having a monitored alarm system. It has real benefit that you should think about especially if the previous HO is still paying for it ;) aka call your insurance company and you will probably get a reduced insurance rate having a monitored system!

Finally, there are a zillion things you can have c4 do —like play a specific alarm audio file when a door/window opens and the system is armed— if that is what you really want. Find a quality dealer local or online (nope, not a dealer here) that will walk with you through your decision process and is willing to teach you what the system can and can’t do. 

all the best. 

3 hours ago, Jules said:

How do I get the monitoring company to stop calling the police when the alarm goes off?  I don’t have a contract with this monitoring company/control 4 dealer; the previous owners did and it’s still active.  

you answered your own problem....just call the alarm company and tell them to stop. they either connect via the phone line, internet or cellular....you can remove the connections.

3 hours ago, mujtaba.khokhar said:

The alarm monitoring might be separate from the control4 dealer, with experience its usually 2 companies. 

But yeah, call them and see if they can release for you. 

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to get in touch!

We can also help with setting up the control4 system in your home to exactly how you'd like it, rather than how the previous homeowner had it.

Thanks 

Muj

I would say it’s 50/50. Besides service or SAAS contracts its one of the few reoccurring revenue streams LV integrators can have. I think im asked about it on almost every resi job. 

3 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

you answered your own problem....just call the alarm company and tell them to stop. they either connect via the phone line, internet or cellular....you can remove the connections.

Not so simple. You need to reprogram the panel otherwise it will display a communication error. If you do not know how to reprogram then you will need support that may be different than your C4 support. You need to find out who has historically managed the security panel. 

1 hour ago, C4 User said:

Not so simple. You need to reprogram the panel otherwise it will display a communication error. If you do not know how to reprogram then you will need support that may be different than your C4 support. You need to find out who has historically managed the security panel. 

actually depends on the panel and connection type.

6 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

I would say it’s 50/50. Besides service or SAAS contracts its one of the few reoccurring revenue streams LV integrators can have. I think im asked about it on almost every resi job. 

For sure. But not everyone does which is why I was saying it could be 2 companies. 

We ourselves offer service and maintenance packages alongside alarm monitoring and key holding services. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.