C4 Forums | Control4

Best C4/Card Access device to monitor garage door

drmark12pa

Question

I'm looking for guidance on recommendations for best device to monitor OPEN/CLOSED status of a garage door possibly Card Access or similar.  I currently have the WCS10-R-ZP relay controlling the opening and closing of 3 doors (1 unit on each) but this is a "dumb" relay" and doesn't keep track of open vs. closed status.

18 answers to this question

44 minutes ago, RAV said:

1 or 2 magnetic contact sensors wired per door to a Control4 contact of choice.
2 if you want fully open and fully closed status, vs 1 which would just say fully closed or some state of open.

Any recommendations on a what sensor would be used for this?

I've been looking at the Z2IO product. Would this just replace one of the WCS10-R-ZP relays so it could be both a relay and connect to a magnet on the garage door?  I already have the power adapter in place (it is plugged into the outlet that garage door opener plugs into the ceiling).  The rest I assume is just Zigbee wireless doing the rest of the work between the unit and C4.

If you have the control in place already though, provided you've got a CORE controller in your system you could just get a zwave tilt sensor (i think nyce no longer does their zigbee one, or that would be an option).

Or if you have an integrated security system, get a garage door sensor for that.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

If you have the control in place already though, provided you've got a CORE controller in your system you could just get a zwave tilt sensor (i think nyce no longer does their zigbee one, or that would be an option).

Since this topic has come up, will the Nyce (non C4 zigbee) sensors work now that zigbee has been updeated? Ive had a couple on my desk for 5 yrs +/-

17 hours ago, c4toys said:

Since this topic has come up, will the Nyce (non C4 zigbee) sensors work now that zigbee has been updeated? Ive had a couple on my desk for 5 yrs +/-

ZigBee ISNT updated, it's in the process, and even once updated, that won't mean any and all devices will just become 'magically' compatible. If anything, the move is to the udated zigbee protocol, and likely (if any) only devices that might be able to connect using a more 'open' zigbee would be those that compy with those new protocols - existing nyce HA zigbee devices wouldn't.

Note that I have no specific/special knowledge or insight of where C4 is going with their ZigBee, but I wouldn't advise anyone to hold there breath thinking all zigbee devices will become directly integrated into C4. Nor am I claiming/stating they won't (eventually) get to that point. If AND when that happens is pure speculation at this point based on what I've seen.

Any recommendations on a wireless sensor probably C4 to attach the magnet contacts to?  I might just leave the current Card Access relay in place that I have as the Z2IO runs around $140 and really only need the open/closed function in addition to the relays I have now doesn't seem worth the added expense for 3 garage doors when some sensors are quite inexpensive. 

My main controlled is an EA5 no CORE controllers in my current setup.

One Z2io will get you contact status of two devices I believe, so you could get 2 doors out of 1 device.  Also, if it helps for reference; I use a battery powered contact sensor for my doors.  The Z2C is the newest variant, but I actually use and older Card Access model.

Something like this would fit the bill.  I think this module has 4 contacts on the terminal strip.  If you kept the wiring tidy enough, this would do all of your doors I believe. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314662765406?hash=item49435cc35e:g:gOUAAOSwtk9kk1yX&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8BpZ7DTNLzLDK8DkvLZA5tWcVgkP300HW7Tk9eOqIJtkXqzWcbA1uP1Z2o14ESJeRhsyI2G8WjNu6SpPptgY%2BixVTN9D1dY0u0dHV5kpGWHXpWczc0cu%2BQC6T53JIGbtcT6IjUF2J9nYA%2FdZkrg3Cdp48KddJlbdZpwWQgyomc5m1B7xMHUKuSWGASBp%2BDEHDP206OxjGtuxK2WqZrRe0ufjnxxh6kxLzWbxQQFUq%2FrC4SHrJxS4JGuuMR9pb9u0o0k7CLwQ2QHQtbClYV16NhSlh3%2BAPHFgfXhwN1ZNqoVKh2UzhseClyDl%2FID%2BlaVIuw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR7CegNnmYg

21 hours ago, neil12011 said:

One Z2io will get you contact status of two devices I believe, so you could get 2 doors out of 1 device.  Also, if it helps for reference; I use a battery powered contact sensor for my doors.  The Z2C is the newest variant, but I actually use and older Card Access model.

2zio can be configured for 4 contacts, 2 contacts and one relay or two relays. So you can CONTROL 2 doors if you have alternate sensors, but not sens and control 2 doors.

Personally I like to do a single door control plus two sensors on one door (one fully closed, one fully open)

20 hours ago, Cyknight said:

2zio can be configured for 4 contacts, 2 contacts and one relay or two relays. So you can CONTROL 2 doors if you have alternate sensors, but not sens and control 2 doors.

Personally I like to do a single door control plus two sensors on one door (one fully closed, one fully open)

Is there a reason you use 2 sensors for open/closed?  I've only had a single sensor on a door in the past though it doesn't show if partially vs fully open as your setup would

57 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

Is there a reason you use 2 sensors for open/closed?  I've only had a single sensor on a door in the past though it doesn't show if partially vs fully open as your setup would

Not for the general interface, but I use it as an override option for notifications, as the garage is also a work area, and I often have the door partially open while working in it.

4 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Not for the general interface, but I use it as an override option for notifications, as the garage is also a work area, and I often have the door partially open while working in it.

That makes sense.... I know some notifications of my own making end up annoying me haha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.