C4 Forums | Control4

Can someone explain Zigbee 3 and Control4

zaphod

I have seen a couple of mentions that in the near future Control4 will be switching away from its proprietary version of Zigbee to Zigbee 3.  I believe that one ramification of this is that third party Zigbee products should now work in Control4.  Which would be great news.

Can someone explain this in more detail, including the upgrade process?  Will this be like the Embernet - > Zigbee upgrade where all devices, like dimmers and keypads, need to be updated.  Will this mean that some hardware will have to be retired?

3 minutes ago, therockhr said:

From what has been mentioned Zigbee 3 and Zigbee Pro (c4 proprietary) would both be available. Nothing has been said about C4 moving to Zigbee 3 although you would think that would be the end goal.

Having both available would make the transition easier.

5 minutes ago, therockhr said:

Why cant we talk about it?

This forum is one of the only places end users can get accurate information.
And it's best not to guess or speculate and lead people down the wrong path; I bought this because he said, It was suppose to be out by now, I want to....

It's not a secret, it was mentioned to dealers more to explain away an issue and set a road path then it was to announce it as a new feature.
Not saying not to talk about it, hopefully it opens new opportunities, but when and what and how aren't known in any manner.

2 minutes ago, RAV said:

This forum is one of the only places end users can get accurate information.
And it's best not to guess or speculate and lead people down the wrong path; I bought this because he said, It was suppose to be out by now, I want to....

It's not a secret, it was mentioned to dealers more to explain away an issue and set a road path then it was to announce it as a new feature.
Not saying not to talk about it, hopefully it opens new opportunities, but when and what and how aren't known in any manner.

smh. i guess we will just wait for the press release then.

2 minutes ago, therockhr said:

smh. i guess we will just wait for the press release then.

You can shake your head all you want but the information isn't even available to dealers on how it will work. There is no information worth sharing yet. 

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

I have seen a couple of mentions that in the near future Control4 will be switching away from its proprietary version of Zigbee to Zigbee 3.

No what you've really seen is that Control4 is moving to use the updated zigbee3. ZigBee3 doesn't mean it's not going to be a proprietary version for C4 (nor does it mean that it won't!)

third party Zigbee products should now work in Control4

Even if 'open' zigbee, zigbee isn't quite the same as zwave. It may still require individual device/brand drivers vs just having 'generic' drivers for dimer/switch/etc.

Can someone explain this in more detail, including the upgrade process

We frankly wouldn't have a clue at this point; as pointed out already, there's nothing TO share right now - allowed to share anything or not, at least at the dealer level, we HAVE no details, not even clues on where this will go, and if there's an upgrade process at all, what may or may not update or keep running on the side under the 'old' style and so on and so forth.

1 hour ago, therockhr said:

great! lets get back to another thread talking about Alexa and Control4.

I get your vibe and I generally agree that conversations get snubbed here just because of bs… but the OP is specifically asking for more detail about stuff that there is no information about and will likely not be here anytime soon. 

49 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

I get your vibe and I generally agree that conversations get snubbed here just because of bs… but the OP is specifically asking for more detail about stuff that there is no information about and will likely not be here anytime soon. 

Isnt there a KB article out there that talks about the move? Wasnt the whole reason for redoing the ZAP server requirements in anticipation of this move/addition of standard Zigbee? These are the things that could be talked about instead of "dont worry about it until it comes out".

14 minutes ago, therockhr said:

Isnt there a KB article out there that talks about the move? Wasnt the whole reason for redoing the ZAP server requirements in anticipation of this move/addition of standard Zigbee? These are the things that could be talked about instead of "dont worry about it until it comes out".

No one said dont worry about it until it comes out… we said theres nothing to discuss at the moment and no info to share. Early conversations about breaking features or products are literally dealer teasers to keep us impress with brand and system development and in-turn bring attention to clients about what may be available in the future. There are LOTS of things that never happen or take years to even reach beta. Right now nothing about zigbee upgrades has been discussed. 

26 minutes ago, Control4Savant said:

No one said dont worry about it until it comes out… we said theres nothing to discuss at the moment and no info to share. Early conversations about breaking features or products are literally dealer teasers to keep us impress with brand and system development and in-turn bring attention to clients about what may be available in the future. There are LOTS of things that never happen or take years to even reach beta. Right now nothing about zigbee upgrades has been discussed. 

so there is not a KB article out there discussing a move to Zigbee 3?

2 minutes ago, therockhr said:

so there is not a KB article out there discussing a move to Zigbee 3?

There is no KB article. There was a brief white paper published that literally says nothing. And control4. Has not answered any questions that were specifically posted asking questions similar to what you are. They're literally is no more information yet.

1 hour ago, Control4Savant said:

So I am the OP.  I asked this question because I have seen the issue alluded to - I believe both in these forums (although I could be wrong) and on reddit.  I am interested because I may be buying hardware in the near future, which could include stuff like Wifi or Zigbee relays or sensors - maybe stuff from Shelly, Sonoff, etc.  And it would be nice if there was a chance that this stuff would work directly with C4.  But for now I will have to use a third party hub and perhaps use something like Home Assistant connected to Control4.

I could buy something like a Z2IO but it is very expensive for the functionality.  I don't know what the current price of a Z2IO is, but I have a 2020 pricelist where it is $180.

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

There is no KB article. There was a brief white paper published that literally says nothing. And control4. Has not answered any questions that were specifically posted asking questions similar to what you are. They're literally is no more information yet.

The white paper had to say something even if it was to say this is something they were just thinking about doing. 

My point is this, its at least something to talk about as it is interesting to think about how this impacts existing and new installations. its fine to say "hey there is very little we know about if/when this will happen" but the idea of "Forget about it until it's official" is silly and reminds me of when there was an FCC filing for the CA-1 and people were saying not to talk about it because it wasnt official.

28 minutes ago, therockhr said:

The white paper had to say something even if it was to say this is something they were just thinking about doing. 

My point is this, its at least something to talk about as it is interesting to think about how this impacts existing and new installations. its fine to say "hey there is very little we know about if/when this will happen" but the idea of "Forget about it until it's official" is silly and reminds me of when there was an FCC filing for the CA-1 and people were saying not to talk about it because it wasnt official.

Don’t talk about it because its not official is different from no information about it. Get over yourself and whatever secret society you think we dealers have meetings with /s

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

The white paper was to explain the long term strategy of supporting ZigBee 3. That's all. It's lite on details just says thats the goal and for the last few OS version's there have been changes in the zigbee stack due to it

That is interesting information and something that could have been mentioned earlier. 

3 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

Don’t talk about it because its not official is different from no information about it. Get over yourself and whatever secret society you think we dealers have meetings with /s

There is information about it though. Not a ton but it’s enough to spark conversation.  

5 hours ago, therockhr said:

The white paper

The whitepaper was sent to users (if they have the receive notifications checked) as well as dealers. And it said little other than that they are making changes, and that this was in part to blame for some of the zigbee issues at the time. So again, when it comes to OPs quetions: there are no answers to give. The fact that OP KNOWS about Zigbee3 is purely because that same whitepaper was already discussed on these forums back then.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.