C4 Forums | Control4

NVR to replace Luma 510-NVR-4CH?

Don Cohen

I have 4 cameras:

• 2 Luma 510 IP Bullet Cameras - ethernet cables plug in directly to the current NVR
  • DS2 MIni - ethernet cable is plugged into a network switch
  • Chime Doorbell - ethernet cable is plugged into a network switch

These are currently being recorded with a Luma 510 4 Channel NVR. I have a few things that I dislike about it:

• The NVR itself has a very loud fan, which is problematic because of its location in my theater (moving it to another location would be difficult and cumbersome)
  • It spontaneously reboots for no reason at all. Sometimes multiple times a day, sometimes going for a week or two without a reboot - this has been a persistent problem with 2 different units of the same model, over the last 4 years.
  • I need to use Edge in IE mode to see all 4 cameras - I could never get them all seen in Chrome, despite all devices having updated firmware
  • Motion detection based recording is not available with DS2 Mini and Chime (although I realize these may be camera limitations, rather than the NVR)

I'm seeing a Luma 120 Series 4 Channel NVR as well as a 520 series, with the 520 being the more expensive, but it isn't clear to me which of these 2 would be the better match for my existing cameras, where I have no plans to add or replace any of them, or whether any differences are relevant, given the cameras I'm using.

Any thoughts on whether either of these would be worth the upgrade, or would address any of my complaints above, and which might be better, and for what reasons?

Also thoughts on a non Luma NVR that would be fully compatible with my cameras and Control4, providing at least the same level of functionality that I have now are also welcome.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat.  i just upgraded to the 220 NVR unit for my Luma 510 cameras and DS2 Mini 2 weeks ago.  There is a specific method to do the update for the Luma 510's to the 520's on their new NVR. My integrators were following guidance of one SnapOne tech rep (I was in room working while they were doing this) and it was completely wrong based upon repetitive 'offline' notifications from the Luma View app.  They then had to do it a different way so just be mindful of that if you go that route.  The Luma View app is much better than the previous one so far but still getting occasional 'offline' messages but not nearly as frequent; in all cases it never actually went offline of if so was for a fraction of a second.  They've submitted subsequent tickets to Snap support and have received no reply in over 5 days.

I meant to say 220 for the new NVR.  I don't notice the fan noise either way as I keep this in a dedicated rack in an isolated room and with a HVAC Mini-split unit. So I can't speak to the noise on this one.  Other than the issues above it has worked well.  I only go into the app a few times so far to look at an error notification and a few times to navigate playback which works well.  Since I don't have the most recent Luma cameras I'm unable to take advantage of the AI features shown in the demonstrations available on YouTube.  We just needed a new NVR because the prior model was causing lots of errors to the point it was not functional.

the new x20 series is an obvious choice, and yes they seem much more stable overfall (by the way you can use IETab in chrome, though I think it's paid these days). Yes there's a specific guide to get x10 cameras to work with x20 NVR and the other way around, it's hardly complex though, and it's not ben an issue where we've done them.

That said, Luma x10 series are still standard ONVIF cameras: any standard NVR can see them, though for integration into C4 you may have to put the cameras on a PoE switch vs using the back ports on an NVR

7 hours ago, Cyknight said:

the new x20 series is an obvious choice, and yes they seem much more stable overfall (by the way you can use IETab in chrome, though I think it's paid these days). Yes there's a specific guide to get x10 cameras to work with x20 NVR and the other way around, it's hardly complex though, and it's not ben an issue where we've done them.

That said, Luma x10 series are still standard ONVIF cameras: any standard NVR can see them, though for integration into C4 you may have to put the cameras on a PoE switch vs using the back ports on an NVR

Appreciate the reply and info. I hadn't heard about IETab, but it looks interesting. $19/year, so not too onerous.

But what about the 120 vs 520 choice?

Glad to hear they're more stable. Do you know if the fan noise is significantly better with the 120 or 520 vs the 510, which as I indicated, is fairly loud?

Can't say I've noticed any noise from them at all - just installed a 220 yesterday.

as for 120 vs 220 (which i assume is what you mean) - it's about the second HDD.

To me it's a given to have 2HDD at all times in an NVR in case of failure, so we don't even look at the 120, but that's really the only difference

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Can't say I've noticed any noise from them at all - just installed a 220 yesterday.

as for 120 vs 220 (which i assume is what you mean) - it's about the second HDD.

To me it's a given to have 2HDD at all times in an NVR in case of failure, so we don't even look at the 120, but that's really the only difference

Thanks again. Yeah, I got my numbers mixed up, given the current one I have is the 510, my brain was thinking the new one would be 520. Given my use of the NVR for non-critical purposes, having that 2nd backup HD really doesn't matter, and the single HD unit I've had for 4 years has been fine (except for the other issues).

The 2tb 120 seems to be the most suitable unit for me.

Regarding the fan noise, most people likely have them installed where the noise wouldn't matter or be noticed, but it is an issue for my particular situation. If I knew then what I know now, I would have had the guys figure out a way to put it elsewhere.

If anyone else has noticed the noise on the 510 series being improved going to the 120 series, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone installed the new LUMA Bridge device yet (LUM-BRIDGE-4CH)?  I saw it at CEDIA but didn't spend any time going thru it or getting a demo.  I have the X10 cameras but want the functionality of of what comes with the X20 cameras that this bridge purports to provide.  Looking for any in the field feedback on this unit.  Thanks in advance.

Link to Cut Sheet

https://www.snapav.com/wcsstore/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/attachments/documents/Surveillance/Cutsheets/200_S1_Luma Insights-Cutsheet_v-6-1.pdf

Link to Video (skip to 2:25)

13 hours ago, GregCAMS said:

Has anyone installed the new LUMA Bridge device yet (LUM-BRIDGE-4CH)?  I saw it at CEDIA but didn't spend any time going thru it or getting a demo.  I have the X10 cameras but want the functionality of of what comes with the X20 cameras that this bridge purports to provide.  Looking for any in the field feedback on this unit.  Thanks in advance.

Link to Cut Sheet

https://www.snapav.com/wcsstore/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/attachments/documents/Surveillance/Cutsheets/200_S1_Luma Insights-Cutsheet_v-6-1.pdf

Link to Video (skip to 2:25)

This model wasnt on any release schedule I have seen so I wouldnt hold your breath. 

2 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

It takes years, sometimes not at all for some stuff from CEDIA to be released. This isn’t specific to Snap or new in the industry…

appreciate that insight - saw it advertised at conference so thought it was going to come online or for release much sooner.

I had to made a choice to upgrade to the new x20 line coming from a 510 with 7 x10 cameras

The Luma was much more expensive the a comparable Hikvision - and I waned 8mp colorvu cameras which Luma didn’t provide 

The luma x10 is a rebranded hikvison anyways so the swap was easy

The hikvision app is way way better then the luma and I’m happy I switched 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.