C4 Forums | Control4

Hardware Ad blocker compatible with C4

IAN1975

Happy Holidays to all,

It's boxing day and I want to buy a hardware or device connected to the modem of my ISP (internet service provider) before going into the C4 router to block all the ads on my home network (Wifi and Ethernet), is there a such device that you guys recommend?

I saw there's one called Pi-hole, what are you thoughts?

https://www.raspberrypi.com/tutorials/running-pi-hole-on-a-raspberry-pi/

Thanks!

Ian

I have used PiHole for years.  Occasionally I have to put stuff on the whitelist and I think that from time to time it may cause problems with voice control of Control4 using Alexa.

I run PiHole in a Docker container on an unRAID server, which is where I run other stuff like a Unifi controller, Plex server, etc.

What problems does it cause?  And do you have to exclude all C4 equipment or just the primary controller, or all controllers?  Does it really matter if an old matrix-amp uses the PiHole as the DNS?

I have used it for years, and  there have been other people on here mentioning it so I am not the only one.

7 minutes ago, zaphod said:

What problems does it cause?  And do you have to exclude all C4 equipment or just the primary controller, or all controllers?  Does it really matter if an old matrix-amp uses the PiHole as the DNS?

I have used it for years, and  there have been other people on here mentioning it so I am not the only one.

I have seen it break entire updates, I have seen it break Alexa device setup. one time a controller got totally wiped due to a pi hole blocking an apt repo and killing the controller. That wasn't fun. 

The days of needing pihole are gone. Just use a filtering dns like adguard or even better (more customizable) nextdns. Setup an account with nextdns (free!) and you can add blocking lists and more. Very good, quality, service. Then on your router / dhcp server, push out the nextdns dns servers and you are set. On your c4 hardware, use 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 for dns and you bypass the restrictions. Done. 

11 hours ago, cjh said:

The days of needing pihole are gone. Just use a filtering dns like adguard or even better (more customizable) nextdns. Setup an account with nextdns (free!) and you can add blocking lists and more. Very good, quality, service. Then on your router / dhcp server, push out the nextdns dns servers and you are set. On your c4 hardware, use 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 for dns and you bypass the restrictions. Done. 

Thanks.
Setting up NextDNS is pretty easy, using Araknis router and having Araknis DDNS do the IP linking.
I like that it could be used to allow clients access to logging and history etc. and a layer of parental controls.
(It's also pretty easy to circumvent from a Parental standpoint, just like others if you know what you're doing.)

Araknis
Turn on DDNS, input a domain name of choice.
Create NextDNS account, on main page input said DDNS name on the right, should pull in your dynamic IP.
Copy DNS settings into router.

14 hours ago, cjh said:

Isn't PiHole just a filtering DNS? 

4 hours ago, cjh said:

Yes. But requires on-prem hardware of some sort while the likes of nextdns do the same thing but without the hassle of maintaining hardware/software. Of course, some still argue the value of that setup :)

I am not sure that you really need special hardware.  I have PiHole running in Docker container on my unRAID server, along with my Unifi Controller, Plex Server, Home Assistant, Linux and Windows VMs, etc. 

30 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I am not sure that you really need special hardware.  I have PiHole running in Docker container on my unRAID server, along with my Unifi Controller, Plex Server, Home Assistant, Linux and Windows VMs, etc. 

Sadly it doesn't run under BSD, so I can't run it in a FreeBSD (TrueNAS) Jail...  :(

RyanE

"The days of needing pihole are gone. Just use a filtering dns like adguard or even better (more customizable) nextdns. Setup an account with nextdns (free!) and you can add blocking lists and more. Very good, quality, service. Then on your router / dhcp server, push out the nextdns dns servers and you are set. On your c4 hardware, use 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 for dns and you bypass the restrictions. Done."

I have a  ISP modem/router connected to my Araknis before going into my C4 system? How do I set up Nextdns step by step without affecting the C4 system? I have no experience with this. These are the photos of my current setup...

Thanks!

Ian

IMG_2681.jpeg

IMG_2682.jpeg

1 hour ago, IAN1975 said:

I have a  ISP modem/router connected to my Araknis before going into my C4 system? How do I set up Nextdns step by step without affecting the C4 system? I have no experience with this. These are the photos of my current setup...

Thanks!

Ian

You'll want to discuss with your dealer.
Need access to the router administration login, and knowledge of how other components are set as to static or dynamic DNS.

Araknis Setup
Turn on DDNS, input a domain name of choice.
Create NextDNS account, on main page input said DDNS name on the right, should pull in your dynamic IP.
Copy NextDNS settings into router.

Edit: But you have a Pakedge Router, Not Araknis BTW.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.