C4 Forums | Control4

2024 Apple Music on Control4 Native - Ever?

We've all talked about this before, but here we are in 2024 and still no Apple Music native integration.

Native integrations exists in:

• Savant
  • Autonomics (which can be integrated into Control4 at significant cost)
  • Sonos (sort of)
  • Tesla
  • Eversolo, Wiim (and others that are hardware solutions built on Android that are actually running Apple Music)

Control4 really needs to add its EA series and Core series controllers to the list through whatever means necessary.   Crazy that we are in 2024 and still having to use ShairPlay to get Apple Music through Control4.

What do we need to do as a user community to get some momentum behind this?

Why do you assume Control4 doesn't want to?

I remember hearing once it was regarding meeting security requirements, there's been changes made to processors there recently, who knows.
Big difference theft wise what you can do with a Pandora login vs an iCloud account.
I'd certainly like to see it as well.

2 hours ago, anon2828 said:

We've all talked about this before, but here we are in 2024 and still no Apple Music native integration.

Native integrations exists in:

• Savant
  • Autonomics (which can be integrated into Control4 at significant cost)
  • Sonos (sort of)
  • Tesla
  • Eversolo, Wiim (and others that are hardware solutions built on Android that are actually running Apple Music)

Control4 really needs to add its EA series and Core series controllers to the list through whatever means necessary.   Crazy that we are in 2024 and still having to use ShairPlay to get Apple Music through Control4.

What do we need to do as a user community to get some momentum behind this?

WiiM is still via airplay per google (i was hoping).

Not sure Tesla has a model that connects in the house either.....

Eversolo isn't that cheap either.

But yes, I think it would be very nice to have Apple Music.  I ended up getting Tidal, as it integrates nicely. If you have roon, even better.

There are so many reposts of this topic now, I'm not going to repeat the arguments.

Look at the following thread for starters

But just to summerise, if you speak to ANY developer, they'll tell you that how Apple portrays themselves on stage is very different to the realities of dealing with Apple, and there is so much politics in the background, don't be surprised if its the case here. Control4 have an extremely talented team of programmers, so imho, its not because they can't do it

7 hours ago, msgreenf said:

and why assume everyone wants apple music?

I think you'd find many households who use Control4 are also very likely the same households where an Apple ecosystem dominates.

There are a lot of advantages to having a music service run natively both in the home and in the automotive world:  Not relying on a single user's phone in a shared environment like a home makes a lot of sense.  As well, having the full user interface to the streaming service is nice on a home automation platform like Control4.   Same reasoning exists in the automotive world - not having to navigate your steaming service on the phone and use cases where you don't want to connect your phone, and the benefit of navigating the music service from the auto's main screen.

For those of us with Apple everything, it makes a ton of sense to use Apple Music - and native on Control4 just could make it that much better. 

I currently use Amazon Music - native on Control4 which is very nice, but not native on my vehicle.

7 hours ago, anon2828 said:

For those of us with Apple everything, it makes a ton of sense to use Apple Music - and native on Control4 just could make it that much better.

The fact it is taking Snap so long, should suggest though, its more politics at play tbh. As well as the lack of other devices with proper support

I’m about to pull the trigger on autonomic. Anyone have experience with it recently and how it has performed? Surprised it doesn’t get more attention as only real integrated solution 

52 minutes ago, nxr said:

I’m about to pull the trigger on autonomic. Anyone have experience with it recently and how it has performed? Surprised it doesn’t get more attention as only real integrated solution 

I'd be interested to know how the interface functions, is it all on C4 or phone or both?

I have Roon, so for the cost of autonomic it made more sense to get tidal at this point, but still curious since we still have apple music too.

I have Roon+Tidal on my music server (that is not connected to my C4 system) and Tidal on C4. Is there any straightforward way to use Roon on C4?  The Tidal UI is the worst in the industry.

• 1 month later...

I'm inclined to believe it's less about wanting "Apple", and more about wanting to play anything at will through the native interface.

Music inside Control4 is limited by the streaming service's APIs.
You can do this not that; have playlists but not search, search but not lists, or limited catalog, or repetitive playlists, mandatory commercials, or limited to a couple streams

I don’t assume that everyone wants this but that a lot of people would. Looks like Apple Music is 13% of music streaming market share which is lower than I expected. Spotify is over 30. Current integration with SharePlay is kludgy but I still refuse to subscribe to another service. 

Apple is getting beat up pretty good right now over their closed systems for apps and purchases and iMessage. I’m hopeful but not optimistic that this starts to open the door to being more open with Apple Music. 

Snap’s market cap is currently lower than what they paid for Control4. Through that lens, I don’t see them picking a battle with Apple or anyone else right now. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.