C4 Forums | Control4

C4 iOS app not available on Apple Vision Pro

Yeah.  I am am one of those idiots who bought one Day One.  Love it so far.

While I do not expect Control4 to do a Vision Pro native app right away (if ever), it would be awesome if they would simpl make the iPad app available for download and use in compatibility mode.  From my understanding, developers need to “Opt-Out” affirmatively for their apps to *NOT* show up in App Store for Vision Pro, so looks like they either opted-out or perhaps they flagged app as being targeted for an older version of iOS (and not current versions).

Anyway, I hope someone at Control4 will get around to ticking the right boxes— no actual work required.  Hopefully they are just waiting to test the stability in compatibility mode before ticking the boxes (I’m happy to test it for them). 

As an aside, you can place persistent, spatially-anchored buttons around your house and make them kick-off Apple “Shortcut” scripts by just looking/pinching  which can, among other things, control C4 devices (assuming you have otherwise linked Homekit and C4).  This circuitous approach is very kludgy/janky/beta for now, but still fun.

We chosen not to have the app be available until we we are able to test compatibility and the experience. You can expect the app to become available once the review and testing process has been completed.  This is the same approach that was taken for supporting iPadOS apps on MacOS with Apple Silicon chips (M1, etc).

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2024 at 10:51 AM, Darin, PM C4 CX Platform said:

We chosen not to have the app be available until we we are able to test compatibility and the experience. You can expect the app to become available once the review and testing process has been completed.  This is the same approach that was taken for supporting iPadOS apps on MacOS with Apple Silicon chips (M1, etc).

Any update?  I’m happy to test current iPad app via Test Flight.  Control4 is one of the only things I can’t easily use with Vision Pro, and actual reality is just so tiresome….

11 hours ago, cnicholson said:

Any update?  I’m happy to test current iPad app via Test Flight.  Control4 is one of the only things I can’t easily use with Vision Pro, and actual reality is just so tiresome….

Me too! Happy to help test.  I bought a Vision Pro day 1 too it is fun tech!

call me a luddite (I still have a few 1080p tvs in my house) - why would you put on a VR headset to turn a light off in the kitchen or something?

I could see the VR stuff for gaming, learning, movies, etc..

I mean I guess if the headset is on and you want to make some changes in the house but I guess most/some have Alexa/Josh/Google home or some voice thing you can just shout across the room?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

why would you put on a VR headset to turn a light off in the kitchen or something?

Ha!  I hear you.  But the Vision Pro is not really about gaming or doing a discrete VR experience.  It is geared toward extended use as your work/productivity environment.  You have a browser window, a spreadsheets, messages window, mail window, Word, one showing your actually laptop’s screen, etc. all open at once.  Anything you can do on your phone, iPad or computer, you can do inside Vision Pro.  You guessed it, I’m using it right now to type this.  

Anyway, in that context, you can hopefully appreciate the desire to use all the app you are used to using— including C4.  Absence of C4 app is honestly one of the significant gaps for me.  And, just to reiterate, Vision Pro runs ALL iPhone and iPad apps by default (in additional to native apps, of course).  If developers don’t opt-out, that is.  C4 has opted out— for legitimate testing purposes to ensure good experience.

I do have some voice controls set-up, but I still use the C4 app for some stuff.

Edited by cnicholson

13 minutes ago, cnicholson said:

Ha!  I hear you.  But the Vision Pro is not really about gaming or doing a discrete VR experience.  It is geared toward extended use as your work/productivity environment.  You have a browser window, a spreadsheets, messages window, mail window, Word, one showing your actually laptop’s screen, etc. all open at once.  Anything you can do on your phone, iPad or computer, you can do inside Vision Pro.  You guessed it, I’m using it right now to type this.  

Anyway, in that context, you can hopefully appreciate the desire to use all the app you are used to using— including C4.  Absence of C4 app is honestly one of the significant gaps for me.  And, just to reiterate, Vision Pro runs ALL iPhone and iPad apps by default (in additional to native apps, of course).  If developers don’t opt-out, that is.  C4 has opted out— for legitimate testing purposes to ensure good experience.

I do have some voice controls set-up, but I still use the C4 app for some stuff.

that's fair but then again I am a luddite so i don't see myself wearing a mask all day for work.  My 32'' computer screen can show me 2-3 windows/applications at a time.  by the time I need to wear a  mask all day for work I'll assume automation is at the point that I won't have to interact with it at all.  Call that "Eggzlot's Law"

9 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Call that "Eggzlot's Law"

Certainly not for everyone.  I get that.  But if you take the population that is spending six figures on home automation / home theater / computer control of their nightlights, you’re going to find a lot more Vision Pro users in there than in the general population.  Not here to evalgelize— but, as an aside, you might want to get a demo— you might be surprised.  A couple of guys from my C4 dealer team were here a few weeks ago and I gave them demos.  One was “meh” but the other guy was like profoundly impressed.  Anyway, the point of the post is to gently prod/beg C4 to please undo their opt-out so we can use the existing app.  All the while knowing that this is a niche thing.

1 hour ago, cnicholson said:

Certainly not for everyone.  I get that.  But if you take the population that is spending six figures on home automation / home theater / computer control of their nightlights, you’re going to find a lot more Vision Pro users in there than in the general population.  Not here to evalgelize— but, as an aside, you might want to get a demo— you might be surprised.  A couple of guys from my C4 dealer team were here a few weeks ago and I gave them demos.  One was “meh” but the other guy was like profoundly impressed.  Anyway, the point of the post is to gently prod/beg C4 to please undo their opt-out so we can use the existing app.  All the while knowing that this is a niche thing.

oh I have friends who raved about the demo.  I am sure it has its place in life.  For my job (sales/sales management), its not going to make my phone calls any more interesting and not sure if my CRM would work on it or the benefit of having my CRM in "virtual" display in front of me.  And I am not a huge TV guy, I'll watch a ball game but rarely TV series, etc.  I am sure there is a market for it.  I mean when the iPod came out I was excited because I love music, so I immediately saw the use case (ok maybe it was some portable mp3 player like the Rio before the iPod) and I always had one by my side.  with a VR headset, I just don't see it as much other than a "cool" factor but not a "practical" factor for me.  And if something is just cool, I'll never buy Gen 1....

• 2 weeks later...

Our developers have finished their testing of our app running on Apple Vision Pro, so here is a TestFlight link for early access to a version of the Control4 mobile app that includes support for Apple Vision Pro. Please give it a try and let me know if you are experiencing any bugs. 

https://testflight.apple.com/join/8TASGss5

1 hour ago, Darin, PM C4 CX Platform said:

Our developers have finished their testing of our app running on Apple Vision Pro, so here is a TestFlight link for early access to a version of the Control4 mobile app that includes support for Apple Vision Pro. Please give it a try and let me know if you are experiencing any bugs. 

https://testflight.apple.com/join/8TASGss5

Nice !

• 2 weeks later...

The testflight link above has been deactivated at this point. Thank you to those of you that downloaded and tested the latest version of the Control4 app. Feel free to move back to the app store version to continue receiving updates, the Apple Vision Pro support will roll out with build 324.15 next week.