C4 Forums | Control4

CA-10 for project with 123 Zigbee devices

drmark12pa

Question

Hello, just wanted some input on possibly adding a CA-10 to my system currently running on an EA-5.  I also have an EA-5 running my theater and then 2 EA-3s running on 2 TVs for control.

I have a total of 124 Zigbee devices not including 24 LIFX lights that are also controlled by the system.

Just wondering what I could expect by adding a CA-10.  I don't tend to have much lag other than what I had written in another post about the backlighting slow to change for events like garage door opening/closing but that seems to have improved.

16 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

How many zigbee meshes do you have?  Do you have all those zigbee devices on one mesh? 

Yes, it appears they are all on one mesh running off the EA-5 in my rack.  Would it be of benefit to have my dealer create additional mesh?

40 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Yes, a mesh is not supposed to be more then 75 devices

If a mesh is added, say using my other EA-5 in my theater or even one of the EA-3s, they they automatically "capture" the closest devices or do the devices have to be assigned to a specific controller by dealer?

What would be the benefit of a CA-10 in my system with that many devices (which doesn't include TV's, audio matrix, 2 C4 amps, etc)

A CA-10 will be a huge boost...but I'm not sure you need it. 123 zigbee isn't all that much really - I'd ensure there's 2 if not 3 meshes though.

1 bigger mesh (40 ish lights likely) that is setup in a way to cover the whole house that has any SR series remotes connected to it so they can roam freely and then probably two meshes to do any other lighting devices per floor or wing of the house.

3 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

If a mesh is added, say using my other EA-5 in my theater or even one of the EA-3s, they they automatically "capture" the closest devices or do the devices have to be assigned to a specific controller by dealer?

What would be the benefit of a CA-10 in my system with that many devices (which doesn't include TV's, audio matrix, 2 C4 amps, etc)

You have to re-join the devices to a new mesh

Would adding another mesh and/or adding a CA-10 improve system performance better?  Obviously, if adding a mesh makes things a bit more snappy for response that would be better than spending $4k+ on a CA-10 unless there would be other benefit to having the CA-10.

I can't argue that a CA-10 (or even a Core5) would NOT help, but I agree that your issue is more likely mesh related than anything else, and I would certainly suggest redoing the mesh (half a day of labour) first over blindly going to a CA10 (AND do the mesh as that really should be looked at anyway).

Easier on the wallet to get that done first and see if it doesn't fix your problems anyway.

Do you have to disconnect each device after mesh is set up, re-identify, and the device automatically connects to the best signal mesh?  Is it better to have fewer or more meshes such as one mesh per each controller or just enough to spread coverage out better?  I have an EA-3 in main floor living room which is dead center of house.  Another EA-3 is upstairs in tv room above the garage.  My primary EA-5 is in my rack in basement utility room and my other EA-5 is just 2 rooms over in theater.

23 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

Do you have to disconnect each device after mesh is set up, re-identify, and the device automatically connects to the best signal mesh?  Is it better to have fewer or more meshes such as one mesh per each controller or just enough to spread coverage out better?  I have an EA-3 in main floor living room which is dead center of house.  Another EA-3 is upstairs in tv room above the garage.  My primary EA-5 is in my rack in basement utility room and my other EA-5 is just 2 rooms over in theater.

You need to re-identify each device to the new mesh.

I would spread by floor but you use remote portability in doing so as devices can’t move across meshes

As mentioned, I prefer one mesh from a central location to create a full-house mesh that includes all remotes. Based on your setup, I'd use the centra EA3 for that, do basically all main floor lights and 4-8 select lights on the other two floors, to get remotes there covered plus all remotes, then I'd use the EA3 upstairs for the rest of the top floor, the theatre ea for the rest of the basement.

Not true singular right or wrong way though, depends a lot on layout, construction material and so on.

And no you manually select what zigbee server to use, it doesn't automatically grab one.

Well, I've had about 30 devices reassigned to my floor level EA3 and might have made some difference on the LED backlighting.  

Can SR260 remotes be assigned to a controller/mesh as the 2 I have in kitchen and living room (right next to each other and the EA3 is in the living room) still have incredible lag at times.  It looks like the SR250 remotes can be assigned to a controller but not the 260s?

1 hour ago, drmark12pa said:

Well, I've had about 30 devices reassigned to my floor level EA3 and might have made some difference on the LED backlighting.  

Can SR260 remotes be assigned to a controller/mesh as the 2 I have in kitchen and living room (right next to each other and the EA3 is in the living room) still have incredible lag at times.  It looks like the SR250 remotes can be assigned to a controller but not the 260s?

all zigbee devices are assigned to a mesh...a mesh lives on a controller.  yes, you can do the same thing on the 260 that you can on the 250.

Glad our advice helped!  Much cheaper then a CA10 :)