C4 Forums | Control4

Frame TV - Unresponsive in the mornings

On Saturday, we installed a new Frame TV. I set it up with the driver via SDDP, and have the Art Mode Mini App installed. I have it configured so when you turn off the room it turns on art mode, and all of that works great.

However, each morning, the TV won't turn on via Control4. It has gone to sleep at some point during the night (the TV is setup to turn off when no motion is detected for a period of time, and that works...we were gone for 6 hours yesterday, came home and the screen was off but within a few seconds of us being there it was back displaying art) and won't turn back on. Control4 says it's in art mode, and no amount of doing anything from Control4 will get the TV to respond at all. I have had to grab the factory remote and turn the TV on.

I know that the MAC address is correct, I enabled the Wake On LAN and IP Control. Everything works great as far as commands and what not go, except for when it seems to be in some sort of deep sleep in the morning.

Any ideas as to what's going on? I'd love to not have to manually turn it on every morning.

55 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

Frame TVs work okay as long as you identify them using their IP address, they have an issue with using SDDP as they sometimes (more often than not) come online with an "unknown-Mac" in their SDDP address.

Thanks, Ari. I was just going off the documentation that said to be sure to use SDDP. So I can set a static IP and go make that change in Composer. 

Do you think that would solve my issue of it not waking from what appears to be some sort of deep sleep?

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Its hit or miss with control... 

Control over mine is rock solid, aside from this one issue only in the morning where it doesn't seem to want to wake up. What's weird, is I would think it would wake itself up based on the motion in the room...so makes me wonder if it's something with the TV.

If you can see C4 trying to wake it up you can potentially increase the retry count in the driver from 4 retries.

If when it's not waking up you double click on the TV in composer to bring up the control UI can you power on the TV? I think no from what you said above.

Did you disable CEC?

Which power off mode did you use?

image.png.754fd2ae789891bb48ac1a4cdf86b3e8.png

You have this set to motion and not motion plus night?

image.thumb.png.1d39509347ee1044c2a989beba9e405c.png

Thanks, Shoe. Power Off mote is set to Art Mode. Once I turn the TV on using the OEM remote, I can control it just fine from Control4. No issue there at all.

I was doing some Googling, and it sounds like "Sleep After" and "Night Mode" are problematic when they're both turned on, and in my case they are. I'm going to try turning off Night Mode tonight, and see if the problem persists tomorrow morning.

Not your issue, but I have never been able to get the art mode mini driver working with mine. I have to use the programming with the TV commands to get Art Mode to work. It used to be pretty consistent with the programming but I’ve seen it degrade over time. Still more successful than not though. 

My problem is the same as outlined above, after sleeping overnight the TV will be unresponsive in the morning.  Turn on 1x on the white Samsung app and all is good for the day….This isn’t every day but it happens a good bit of the time 

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

My problem is the same as outlined above, after sleeping overnight the TV will be unresponsive in the morning.  Turn on 1x on the white Samsung app and all is good for the day….This isn’t every day but it happens a good bit of the time 

I’ll venture to that part of the house soon and see how things are today. If it’s unresponsive I’m going to try sending commands from composer to attempt to wake it up. If one of those works, then I’ll just schedule that command. 

I did disable “Night Mode”, and hoping that will help. 

Well, went over there and my 6 year old was watching a movie - that’s a good sign! The factory remote isn’t anywhere he could find it. I asked him when he came in if it was just black or a painting and he said it was a painting. Tuesday is one morning where I’m not up and about as early as normal so I’ll check again tomorrow. Hoping it had gone to sleep due to lack of motion, and he woke it up as he was milling around. Time will tell but I consider this a success so far!

6 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I also changed 2 things last night

1) IP vs SDDP

2) set the art sensitivity to high

Let me know how it goes. I think I set my sensitivity from high to medium. I didn’t adjust the driver to be IP vs SDDP. Saving that for if problems persist. 

Did yours wake up and do its thing like normal this morning?

When you all say it’s unresponsive in the morning do you mean selecting watch will turn the screen on to art mode but won’t change inputs?

That’s the behavior I see each morning, too. Interestingly if I get art mode to appear, then turn off the room and wait 15 seconds, and then select something else on watch it seems to change inputs and be fine. 

This is the only trouble I have with frame TV control. 

6 minutes ago, dblessing said:

When you all say it’s unresponsive in the morning do you mean selecting watch will turn the screen on to art mode but won’t change inputs?

That’s the behavior I see each morning, too. Interestingly if I get art mode to appear, then turn off the room and wait 15 seconds, and then select something else on watch it seems to change inputs and be fine. 

Correct, i believe this is why @chopedogg88 recommended using a DHCP reservation/static IP vs SDDP

9 minutes ago, dblessing said:

The problem I was experiencing was in the morning the TV would be blank/black - no art mode, but Control4 would THINK it was in art mode, and no level of activity from Control4 would generate anything other than a black screen...I needed to get the OEM remote to turn it on.

29 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Correct, i believe this is why @chopedogg88 recommended using a DHCP reservation/static IP vs SDDP

Is this change something I can do via Composer Home? Looking at properties I see the network control mode and Mac address fields. I don't see a way to change to IP address. Do I need to repair, or do I need my dealer to do this?