C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Locks

swacker69

Good Evening

Im looking for a dealer to please sell me a venetian bronze control4 lock. I dont run 1.8 yet but i still want to install it physically and wait till 2.0 comes out. If someone could please give me a quote that would be great.

Yes, that's the nature of the locks - they are constantly scanning to join the zigbee mesh network, and once they are identified they only check in on events. There may be a way to turn off that feature, though I don't have any instructions on how to do that.

Kwikset has sent me 2 of these locks with a 3rd on the way due to the battery issue (ie. batteries last 2 weeks). My dealer has NOT yet programmed it to our C4 network - do you know if this is necessary to eliminate the battery problem?

I've had one for a couple months now that is installed into my C4 system and haven't had to replace batteries yet (and my little ones like to press the buttons more often than they should just to hear the beeps).

• 3 weeks later...

Are these a Control4 product, or a Black and Decker product?

My understanding is they are a Black and Decker product.

The reason I'm asking is I would like to import these into Australia, and use them at my house, but obviously they need to be integrated into my C4 platform...

Actually I need a locksmith, more than a home automation expert to install these (they would be a clean new hole install)

I'd buy 4 of these if I could. But I'm not sure if they are available outside C4 USA.

This goes to the heart of the Control4 philosophy -Dealers have to control every little instal thing and what you can/cannot do with Composer HE issue...

If they are not a Control4 product, what right has the company to restrict me importing these independently?

This sort of issue is going to come up more and more as independent companies develop more and more products with C4 IQ or other C4 imbedded technology...

Are ALL these: locks, video streamers (eg Phillips etap), security panels, lights, blinds whatever...going to ONLY be available through the C4 "channel" and local importer?

Are we going to have to get a dealer out every time, even though they aren't really a Control4 product?

I feel this is a legitimate question that the company needs to consider ASAP...:)

I'm still a bit confused on were exactly the company is heading on all this..

I want to be a good customer. To do the right thing.

The locks are a Black and Decker product, and conform to the ZigBee Pro standard. You're certainly within your rights to purchase them and use them with any system that has a driver for them (Control4 or otherwise), assuming Black and Decker sells them to outside of the US. I don't know if that's the case or not.

If you wish to add them to a Control4 system, you'll need a Control4 dealer to do that portion of the installation, *the same as for any other 3rd party product*. The fact that they're a ZigBee product doesn't change this one bit.

In the US, Control4 dealers *can* carry the Black and Decker product, and I believe they're even available on the Control4 product sheet.

As the rest of your post appears to be quickly morphing into the previous thread about how Control4 needs to do something about the fact that end users can't install the software themselves, I'm done in this thread.

Cheers.

RyanE

As the rest of your post appears to be quickly morphing into the previous thread about how Control4 needs to do something about the fact that end users can't install the software themselves, I'm done in this thread.

Cheers.

RyanE

Fair enough. Thanks for the help. I'll try and get them directly from Black and Decker, get a locksmith to do the physical install then then get my dealer out to program...wish me luck :D

Hi wappinghigh,

Have a look at the specs, I just looked at them closely - they seem to have thicker doors in the US than Australia. I'm not sure if this is a problem, but worth checking first. (I was thinking worst case could pad out with ply wood and paint to match the door.)

I cannot see them on the Australian list - not sure if this means they are not available.

They have some nice matching door handles that match these locks, but they also are not available in Australia. I then tried to get several web based online stores to sell me the matching door furniture, but they all seem to only want to ship in the US.

In the end I've decided to just use electronic latches from the alarm system. If you succeed where I failed let me know. Its not too late for me to change my mind.

If you use typical electronic latches from an alarm panel, they will typically fail safe, not fail secure. Which means you doors are unlocked without power. You can install fail secure models but those will be locked without power any typically need to be overridden with a door exit bar which will be a bit out of place on a residential application.

The Kwikset models can be operated with both standard key and keypad so you don't get caught out of the loop with power interruptions, it's worth considering.

Regarding door thickness, a good locksmith will be able to modify the lock to fit a thicker door. The latch pin than controls the deadbolt can be changed for a longer unit to fit a thicker door. You may also need to extend the mounting hardware to accommodate the thickness.

In the US you can order the locks from B&D or Control4. We order from C4 since it is much easier to just add it to an existing order and keep it under than same warranty, etc.

I feel like I need to correct a mistake I made

Aussie Entrance doors are typically thinner, not thicker, but in any case Jberger made me go back and check and I'm glad he did.

The kwikset door sets are 1 3/4 inches to 2 1/4 inches ( 44mm - 57mm). Aussie doors are 40mm - This is why I thought there was a problem, and it is if I want the door set.

(ref: http://www.lockhouse.com/kwikset/u_arlington.html)

It appears however the kwikset smartcode (control4) are 1 3/8 - 2inches or (35mm-50.8) .(ref :http://www.kwikset.com/Files/PDF/SmartSeries/SmartCodeSellSheetUpdated.pdf)

Thus they should be OK for us Aussies! Apologies if I lead anyone astray. (I'll email Wappinghigh and let him know.)

Kwikset has sent me 2 of these locks with a 3rd on the way due to the battery issue (ie. batteries last 2 weeks). My dealer has NOT yet programmed it to our C4 network - do you know if this is necessary to eliminate the battery problem?

I'm having the battery drain issue also along with failure to update the new firmware (1.5 included with the C4 1.8.2.66691).

I called Kwikset and they are sending me a new lock but they told me that they do not send a new zigbee card with the lock because they don't have them.

What's strange is that someone else on this forum posted that they got a new lock WITH a new zigbee card direct from Kwikset (I was in touch with that poster through email and ascertained that Kwikset sent him the replacement lock, not C4).

He arranged that replacement about 4 weeks ago.

So the question remains unanswered. If 4 weeks ago he got a replacement lock with the zigbee card then why, just a 3 days ago, was I told that Kwikset will replace my lock but not the zigbee card because they don't have them? Kwikset's customer service rep told me that Control4 installs the cards, not kwikset.

Strange inconsistency. Does anyone here have insight into this situation?

UPDATE:

Good news. I called Kwikset again this morning and they are sending me a new lock WITH the zigbee card!

Very strange that the other customer service guy (this past Saturday) was completely wrong. I'm now receiveing 2 locks (and I DO have to send the defective one back via call tag).

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, that's the nature of the locks - they are constantly scanning to join the zigbee mesh network, and once they are identified they only check in on events. There may be a way to turn off that feature, though I don't have any instructions on how to do that.

My bet is that if you pull the zigbee card then you won't have that problem. The card is easily removed or inserted.

• 1 year later...

Just wondering what batteries you guys are using, and how much life you are getting: now you all have had a chance to use your locks bound to the C4 mesh for several months now..

AA Lithiums? How long are these lasting?

Anybody using NiMH rechargeables?

If so would one need 2500AH's ?

Cheers

Wap

Been running duracells I think, just the standard batteries, nothing fancy for about a month now. I even have it set on autolock and I think they are fine. Based on how long this set lasts, I will adjust my battery type if needed.

3-4 months is typical for active use.

THAT SUCKS. forgive my french.

I do not want to change batteries on anything every 3-4 mths I do that now with the sr250's so i change to the portable 7" instead

I use Costco "Kirkland" brand batteries, and there's *NO WAY* I've been replacing them every 3-4 months. More like 8-12 months.

If your door is mal-adjusted, and it requires a lot of torque to move the deadbolt, you would see decreased battery life.

If you tell the lock to check in every 3 seconds instead of every 7 seconds, you will see decreased battery life, but a little faster response when you tell the lock to unlock or lock.

RyanE

I use Costco "Kirkland" brand batteries, and there's *NO WAY* I've been replacing them every 3-4 months. More like 8-12 months.

If your door is mal-adjusted, and it requires a lot of torque to move the deadbolt, you would see decreased battery life.

If you tell the lock to check in every 3 seconds instead of every 7 seconds, you will see decreased battery life, but a little faster response when you tell the lock to unlock or lock.

RyanE

Agreed. I don't think I've replaced mine. Wait...I replaced one locks batteries one time...I've had them for quite some time now.

I even have it set on autolock.

Hi Cody. How do you do that? :)

It's a dip switch on the lock I believe. One of the four switches under the battery cover.

Mine is set to automatically lock 500 milliseconds after the door closes. It's done with programming though.

Archived