C4 Forums | Control4

Netgear NeoTV 550 IP Control

Maybe this has been mentioned already but it appears that the 550 will have IP control due to the web interface pictured here:

http://havetheknowhow.com/Hardware-reviews/images/Web-interface.jpg

Review says it is for control by laptop, cell phone, computer, etc. Won't that necessarily mean IP control? If so I may be giving up on Dune getting it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spoke with someone there. The IP controls are a match for the 9150. This includes key press and command set. There may be new commands added to support the likes of Netflix, and other new features, but out of the box it's expected to work like the 9150.

Edited to add:

Joe

If you have info to the contrary, do tell. Would like to sort this before it ships too. The NTV550 is a dune killer.

Dave

So, does anybody know when these will actually ship? I can see they are available on pre-order.

I wonder if anyone will buy my EVA9150 now that this is out for half the price....

Am I missing anything? Isn't this leaps and bounds above the EVA9150?

Current word is end of Nov begging of Dec. The original ship date was like this week. It was said to have slid. With Google TV out now, the slide in shipping will also give Boxee a chance to get out the door before them too. I'm speculating but I think it's likely they'll try and push the ship date up some.

That's what I'm hearing though.

don't think so.... but then again never tried.

as for knowing if the protocol is different i am not sure. ii do know that they have beefed up and fixed a lot of things with the new model. this is why i think a new driver if not required should still be done.

Joe.....I agree on the new/updated driver for IP

IMHO there are so improvements that could be made even with the current driver

Pls let us know if you're able to receive one for testing and driver development

Anxiously looking forward to release as well control with C4

Thx!!

$200 is a great price. At that price, you could put one at every TV, and it would be WAAAAY cheaper than doing a video distribution system using a component/HDMI switcher or JAP. Hopefullly this thing works as advertised.

Cool stuff.

Interesting idea. I can see this two ways

1. Use the in-ceiling speakers for multi-room audio/MP3/Sirius distribution. Use the TV speakers for TV audio. In rooms that need surround sound, hook it up to a receiver. Could have an MP3 in the background while watching multiple games (assuming multiple TVs) in a games room.

2. Use the TV speakers for all audio distribution. In rooms that don't have a TV, have their speakers hooked up to multi-room capable receiver (which is hooked up to a 550)

I could see the binding being a difficult issue. Each 550 would have to be "locked" to its own TV. You would also need a well designed network backbone.

• 2 months later...

There are limitations with the eva8000 driver, specifically as it relates to navigating bd menu's. There a new method in the NTV550 IP protocol to address that specific issue. An adaptation of the existing driver should be ready in the next week.

Absent that, there were a few other tweaks, and I can tell you the NTV550 integration is solid the $169 price point not withstanding.

Friends...is there any feature or capability that this box has that the dunes do not, or vice versa (built in blueray player, and hdd options aside)?

I'm really trying to see if there is a compelling reason why I would want to choose one over the other.

The NEOTV is much cheaper, and has a WAY larger user base. It does YouTube, Photo Viewing, Weather, Internet Radio, etc...

In my eyes the NEOTV is the clear winner....much better value IMO. That said, I know the Dune will play any file format you throw at it, and the Netgear maybe a little pickier. I have been amassing my digital library around what the Netgear players support (both the EVA9150 and NEOTV500), so this isn't a problem for me.

At $169 shipped from Amazon.com how can you really go wrong?

And, it is supposedly getting Netflix support soon....(the Netgear).

Friends...is there any feature or capability that this box has that the dunes do not, or vice versa (built in blueray player, and hdd options aside)?

I'm really trying to see if there is a compelling reason why I would want to choose one over the other.

I've used/tested the Neo550 now for a few weeks, overall its a solid player, still some bugs to be ironed out if:

1) run thru an AVR

2) C4 bluray function issues inclduing bluray iso files via C4 GUI

If and when these above amongst some others I'm sure I havent noticed yet are worked out, it indeed is a wise choice for the price.

I should have my first Dune (Max) next week and look forward to trying this guy out.

From what I've read and confirmed so far via Dune/C4, it's a solid, complete package including built in bluray drive

If anything, I gotta believe the Dune Max will be superior in the future.

Archived