C4 Forums | Control4

Netgear NeoTV 550 IP Control

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've used/tested the Neo550 now for a few weeks, overall its a solid player, still some bugs to be ironed out if:

1) run thru an AVR

2) C4 bluray function issues inclduing bluray iso files via C4 GUI

If and when these above amongst some others I'm sure I havent noticed yet are worked out, it indeed is a wise choice for the price.

1)Can anyone comment on the issues encountered running it through an AVR?

2)Is there a fix to the driver that could allow bluray iso files to be selected from the C4 Navigator?

I've used/tested the Neo550 now for a few weeks' date=' overall its a solid player, still some bugs to be ironed out if:

1) run thru an AVR

2) C4 bluray function issues inclduing bluray iso files via C4 GUI

If and when these above amongst some others I'm sure I havent noticed yet are worked out, it indeed is a wise choice for the price.[/quote']

1)Can anyone comment on the issues encountered running it through an AVR?

2)Is there a fix to the driver that could allow bluray iso files to be selected from the C4 Navigator?

To your points:

1) I've run the NTV550 through a Denon AVR with no issue via hdmi, and via a Neothings matrix to the same AVR via component/digital audio with no issues.

2) what are the symptoms you're seeing ?

I have been reading that netgear has agreed to include the Cinavia protection mechanism in a upcoming firmware release which will make playing legit backups of your movies that include this protection mechanism impossible. Read the AVSforum for more info.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4110/netgear-ces-2011/2

Now, for the bad news:

Cinavia is being planned for inclusion in the NeoTV 550 in an upcoming firmware update (There is no Cinavia implementation in the NTV550 right now). However, I indicated that AACS LA / BDA compliant software players (and in fact, many hardware Blu-Ray players) do not support Cinavia as it doesn't seem to be mandatory at present. Netgear indicated that it didn't want to be involved in any legal proceedings related to this, but promised to go over the legal agreement with the AACS LA / BDA once more. Pursuant to this, I also gave them a solution which woould continue to keep all users happy while also implementing Cinavia. It is going to be personally interesting for me to see whether they are going to act upon that idea further. (The details will have to remain secret till I see what Netgear decides to do with this new DRM mechanism).

^ Perhaps pertaining just to BD content from an attached esata/usb BD player. Remember that player is not BDA compliant - the badges have been stripped from the marketing material. At such a time when they do officially support external BD players it makes sense they will have Cinavia to remain complaint and/or in the good graces of the studios and avoid any legal jeopardy.

.... Albeit, likely bypassed for streams.

Just my two cents. This topic is still being debated and the above quote is not actual fact as it pertains to streams.

Edited - Grammer

OK, I installed my NEO TV 550 last night and have the exact same problems that piratemonkey has:

1. the menu items can not be selected on bluray menus

2. When selecting media through the control 4 interface, i get the same error message that he does. Also, I can select the media without problems when using the netgear interface. Interestingly, and maybe related, the c4 composer software does not automatically get metadata for my .iso files. I had to enter the titles manually and then do a search to get cover art. For those files, I get pirate monkeys error message.

Any ideas for these problems???

Also, I was a little dissappointed that the netgear device does not currently have netflix or pandora. Hopefully this can be added with firmware.

Currently, my WD TV HD live, still has better functionality.

Here's a link to the photo piratemonkey uploaded......I get the same message.....I have my .iso files stored on a usb drive plugged into my WD HD TV live...essentially a network drive. It is appropriately mapped in the c4 software.

Also, i noticed numerous key buttons are left off the c4 driver that i would like to add.....Can you provide me the instructions on adding this functionality dgbrown?

One other thing I noticed is that the "select" button occasionally doesn't transmit and has to be pressed a couple of times for it to work. Are you having this issue?

Thanks

http://www.c4forums.com/attachment.php?item=453

Are specifically talking about BD iso's or just iso's in general ? I haven't seen this issue but will take a shot are recreating it.

Absent the known issues with BD menu navigation (arrows and such) - what other keys are missing that you'd like ?

When i installed the netgear 8000 driver last night night, I then went to my network drives and scanned for available media. c4 software found about 4 movies of my approximately 50 movies and automatically provided metadata. All remaining unfound movies were .iso files, both blu-ray and standard def movies. I then selected in the composer software, to locate movies with ".iso" extension. It then found all remaining movies on my network drive. It did not however, provide any metadata. I had to manually select each movie, then use the search tool, identify the correct movie and hit enter.

These .iso movies that I had to manually work with as above, got the error message that I referenced above.

(Hopefully you can tell some small tweak to fix this!)

I will look at buttons tonight and let you know. It seems like you would need all the buttons around the directional buttons on the netgear remote. They seem to toggle different views on the netgear on screen display.

Also, do you have a work around to get bluray.isos to play without having to use the netgear remote right now?????

^ "Also, do you have a work around to get bluray.isos to play without having to use the netgear remote right now?????"

If you're talking about menu navigation, yes I do but it needs to be validated. Will let you know next week after I've had some time to fishing working on it.

So to summarize - the iso files that generate that message are a mix of BD and regular DVD ?

Yes, or no answer please :)

If I have it wrong, please re-clarify. Just looking to save some time.

I made an IR driver for the neoTV 550 which I will use until we get a good IP driver. All functionality works with the IR driver with exception of being able to use the c4 on screen display.

Hopefully a new IP driver will be available soon!

My NTV550 is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Is there an agreed upon "best" driver to use right now? I won't be streaming BluRay any time soon.

Also, is it better to use the NTV550's movie wall display or use the one from Control4? I know there are issues with BluRay showing up, but right now, I will not be streaming BluRay.

Thanks.

Yeah, I saw that posted on the netgear site. I'll peruse the documentation and see if I can figure out how to modify the current driver.

There seems to be a lot of issues right now with this device: understandable since it is new. My own personal issues are as follows:

1. The current IP driver for the netgear 8000 is inadequate for the 550. ( a. c4 interface will not find where a bluray dvd is stored and play it. and b. When on bluray root menu, the directional buttons do not work.)

2. There is no netflix or Pandora support

3. There seems to be some issues with streaming bluray media through a gigabit switch to the neo tv. The resulting movie plays with stutters and hiccups. (this issue is avoided when plugging a usb drive directly into the neo TV.)

4. I can't seem to access my usb drive when plugged directly into the neotv from my network like I can with my WD TV Live.

I at least temporarily resolved #1 by creating an ir driver and using it instead of the IP driver. At least the remote works properly for all buttons and bluray movies. I am still trying to work through the other issues.

My two cents. I haven't had it very long, and I don't use it a ton, but I like the idea of the integration with C4, thus my switch from WD TV Live. I am using the old Netgear driver (EVA8000) and it seems to be working fine for me. Like you, I am not streaming any blueray.

Archived