C4 Forums | Control4

4store apps

Guys,

Is anyone going to develop an app that is worth a crap. With the ever expanding products with apps on them why is it that the most advanced product in my home has the crappiest apps. Watch a monkey, get a quote, play a stupid game, give me a break. This crap sucks and Control4 should be embarrassest that their name is on this stuff.

And by the way charging money for the themes is just plain wrong, the themes suck crap. The ones C4 gives you are better. What is a dealer developing this stuff and looking for a way to take more of my money. Come on guys, get it together!

Ryan

I agree, many apps available on the 4Store aren't top notch, but some are.

My favorites are the C4 Equalizer App (Free!), Kevin's Remote beeper app.

But instead of bitching about it, why don't you do something about it?

If you can think of a *good* app (and in my opinion, the only really good apps are ones that actually extend your Automation functionality), become an app store developer and make it.

It does cost $99/year to be an app store developer, and you'd need to know Flash (and have the tools) or know someone who does, but who knows, you might make something out of it.

That $99 also includes the Theme SDK, so you too could 'rip off end users by charging for themes'. :)

RyanE

A messenger app would be cool. Program on HE to leave members of your family a message at a certain time on a nav or TS. Or leave message reminders when a TV is turned on about appointments and such.

Some thing to allow users to change there background, or font, or any other aspect on the screen. I would love to take C4 off the screen and put my last name.

A scrolling news, Facebook, and twitter thing at the bottom of my tv when I'm watching. Program in HE certain accounts and the scroller runs that info.

Rhapsody is good, but I like Slacker, that would be awesome.

Just a couple to get you started. I do not have the knowledge to make these, so I need you guys to get'r done!

A scrolling news, Facebook, and twitter thing at the bottom of my tv when I'm watching. Program in HE certain accounts and the scroller runs that info.

Unfortunately, since Control4's on-screen is not implemented as an overlay to a TV signal, there's no way to display a scroller on the bottom of the TV you're watching without having that be built into the *TV* or *Receiver / Source*, not as a Control4 4Store app.

Sorry.

RyanE

My favorite is the $10 theme you can buy to make it look like the 2.0.x GUI. I guess Control4 decided since they changed it, they shouldn't just throw the old icons away. Why not make them available for $10.

ZERO development time went into that theme. The fact that it's $10 bugs me.

I've got a good start on several good apps, and quite a few themes, but haven't continued progress because I've been busy and from what I've seen, there is NO return on the time invested.

I'd be curious to find out how many version of Movie Guardian have been sold. I bought that...what was it, $50? After the huge split, the dev gets a small chunk...you need to sell a TON of apps before there is any return on the investment.

I could finish these, but at the rate they seem to be purchased I'd need to charge a fortune for them to get any sort of return. There just aren't enough users there to drive the price of the apps down...the volume won't bring a big enough return on time spent.

• 2 months later...

I travel to Michigan and actually used the 7 day forecast on my C4 system. It quit working and I got a reply.

How do apps get supported or removed if they no longer are supported?

9&10 has discontinued support of this app. We're no longer a 4Store developer, so we're unable to remove apps from the store or make any changes to the listings.

My apologies for any inconvenience.

Eric ?????

President, Freelancer Productions LLC

I travel to Michigan and actually used the 7 day forecast on my C4 system. It quit working...

I'm sorry that app has stopped working for you.

The app developer agreement allows Control4 to take down broken apps, or any apps when a developer stops maintaining them.

I've notified the appropriate person.

Thanks.

RyanE

By the way, you don't have to wait for Control4 to remove the app from the 4Store to delete it from your own system:

1. go to http://4store.com/

2. log in with your 4Store account username and password

3. go to My Apps

4. find the app you want to delete and click the associated Delete link

5. click the Delete button to confirm

6. initiate an update through Navigator (Apps > 4Store > Update)

RyanE

I travel to Michigan and actually used the 7 day forecast on my C4 system. It quit working...

I'm sorry that app has stopped working for you.

The app developer agreement allows Control4 to take down broken apps' date=' or any apps when a developer stops maintaining them.

I've notified the appropriate person.

Thanks.

RyanE[/quote']

I guess I missed your response Ryan thanks for taking care of this. I did find and delete, again thanks for responding.

1) Exists.

2) Exists.

3) Not sure Pizza Hut offers an outside API so of this was ever done it would be buggy as !@#$.

4) Cool idea. Not sure how practical. You'd need a managed switch. Kids are probably smart enough to get around this. :/

5) Cool idea. Could certainly be done.

Cut off internet and cableTV for certain zones on a timer (kid control)

I was just thinking about this over the weekend. I plan on installing a wireless outlet switch on the wireless accesspoint. It will at least cut off internet on their laptops and iPods.

(and in my opinion, the only really good apps are ones that actually extend your Automation functionality)...

Yep...so why doesn't Control4 get off their own backsides and actually do something proactive about this very important point you make Ryan..?

Hire or contract a couple of app developers themselves

I mean it's not Rocket Science what's needed here..

They could start by actually "extending the Control4 automation functionality". Simply take a look at some of the frequent requests from this forum..

Lets begin by an add "idevices" app, an add "media shares" app, some simple apps to change input device names, an app to rearrange the list orders on the SR250, and one to list the current firmware and upgrade and guide you thru the process for you.....

..surely this wouldn't be too difficult and would well and truly "extend our Automation functionality"

Cheers

Wap

Guys,

Is anyone going to develop an app that is worth a crap. With the ever expanding products with apps on them why is it that the most advanced product in my home has the crappiest apps. Watch a monkey, get a quote, play a stupid game, give me a break. This crap sucks and Control4 should be embarrassest that their name is on this stuff.

And by the way charging money for the themes is just plain wrong, the themes suck crap. The ones C4 gives you are better. What is a dealer developing this stuff and looking for a way to take more of my money. Come on guys, get it together!

Ryan

So you've noticed..

My guess that since the App store arrived, most of us can still only count less apps on our navigator screens than the number of fingers on the hand doing the counting...

I've got two ( I think) The only one I use is "the find my remote app..."

Be interesting to know the actual sales and download figures per customer.... C4 must know that...surely... :)

The app architecture was not only developed for Residential, and is used in other verticals.

4Store is an added benefit to the architecture change, and I agree, there could certainly be more useful apps.

I've got another app that does exactly that (extends the automation functionality), that I've just been trying to get the time to finish out and post.

Control4 could certainly add apps that do some of the things you're asking for (List Navigator order is pretty much set in stone, not much to do there, although *Graphical Navigator* item order / hiding can be changed), but I doubt they are going to make apps like the 'Allow end user updates' app, or the 'Screw with Project Bindings' app. :)

IMHO, there are certain things that I still feel that dealers are necessary for (for the majority of installs -- not you guys necessarily), and apps that mess with those 'ComposerPro' things could certainly be more problematic to dealers (and end users) than helpful.

As far as hiring people to do apps, Control4 *has* hired those people, but they're working on the main Navigator interface, since anyone we can find who has both the flash skills and understands UI *and* automation, we'd rather put them to work where they'll be best used, which is extending automation in the 'main UI'.

This is, of course, only my opinion.

RyanE

BTW guys i wrote a driver for the Dell power connect switches that lets you turn ports on and off in programming. The goal was to make an app to go along with it so you could turn off the kids computers, wifi etc but other projects took over so i never did the app side of things

BTW guys i wrote a driver for the Dell power connect switches that lets you turn ports on and off in programming. The goal was to make an app to go along with it so you could turn off the kids computers, wifi etc but other projects took over so i never did the app side of things

I would be interested in it.

Archived