C4 Forums | Control4

Ugh

cdepaola

So just learned a lesson... Purchased a bunch of Sonos equipment, which I still believe is the best music streaming device on the market, to create the audio zones in my home. Using them and having to jump in and out of the Sonos app and C4 App is easy enough for me and not really a huge deal, however its a major pain for the family and they have gone from loving C4 to hating it almost over night.

I really wish it was possible to group and ungroup sonos devices from within C4... Anyone know why it wouldn't be supported other then C4 trying to get people to buy their equipment instead of Sonos equipment?

First and foremost its a cost issue... Each of my sonos zones have amp's in the form of AVR's as the speakers for each zone are the theater systems for that area. So I can plug a ZP90 into each AVR and be done OR I have to get a C4 Amp, run new speaker wire from that amp to the speakers and then hope that nothing ever goes wrong and the system sends audio from both amps to the speakers at once. Also my AVR's have far superior amp's to the C4 unit, while most people don't care that much about the sound quality for distributed audio I do.

While the C4 amp sounds like the perfect solution I don't know that it is in all situations, unless I'm missing something.

First and foremost its a cost issue... Each of my sonos zones have amp's in the form of AVR's as the speakers for each zone are the theater systems for that area. So I can plug a ZP90 into each AVR and be done OR I have to get a C4 Amp, run new speaker wire from that amp to the speakers and then hope that nothing ever goes wrong and the system sends audio from both amps to the speakers at once. Also my AVR's have far superior amp's to the C4 unit, while most people don't care that much about the sound quality for distributed audio I do.

While the C4 amp sounds like the perfect solution I don't know that it is in all situations, unless I'm missing something.

Okay, fair enough. Have you tried the extra vegetables driver?

Yup, the EV driver is excellent and would be perfect if it supported Sonos Zones. I'm curious if the reason the Sonos Zones aren't supported is a Sonos problem and so there is hope of it someday being supported or if it's a restriction C4 has placed on EV to protect C4 products and thus I should figure out a way to make my system work easier for the family.

I think its more the way Control4 handles zones and how Sonos handles zones -- and neither architecture is going to change anytime soon so we're stuck with what we've got for the time being. I've seen Will mention it before but can't remember the details.

FWIW as soon as the Grace Digital driver is done we'll be using that for Control4 installs. Sonos just doesn't play well with any CI equipment. If we just need some quick and dirty house audio -- Sonos will be the ticket. For Control4 we'll use GD..

Hey CD..I feel yr pain. I agree this is the one setback of the integration..

So my solution...just switch to Sonos for music control. Pure and simple. Put the Sonos software controller on as many devices as you can and control Sonos from there... and use SR250's for C4.

In key areas where dual control is needed get an ipad, or android tablet and put both apps on each and switch between the two. It's not ideal, but works as an interim solution...

One of the many things I do to make money is write code for a large video game company, I wish I had the time to tackle this as a project. I may have to load up on coffee and get back into the late night/ early morning code sessions.

In the mean time what's the perceived best option?

1: continue doing what were doing with a combo of c4 and sonos apps to run things.

2: Get a C4 amp an thrown a Russound AB-3.2 Automatic A/B Selector in between to avoid ever throwing to amplified signals at my speakers.

3: get a C4 switch and stick with just using the amps I have

One of the many things I do to make money is write code for a large video game company, I wish I had the time to tackle this as a project. I may have to load up on coffee and get back into the late night/ early morning code sessions.

1: continue doing what were doing with a combo of c4 and sonos apps to run things.

2: Get a C4 amp an thrown a Russound AB-3.2 Automatic A/B Selector in between to avoid ever throwing to amplified signals at my speakers.

3: get a C4 switch and stick with just using the amps I have

I use C4 only and have no problems. We use Rhapsody and have 240 Internet radio stations with C4 only wife and kids love it... Easy to use... 12 zones...

One of the many things I do to make money is write code for a large video game company' date=' I wish I had the time to tackle this as a project. I may have to load up on coffee and get back into the late night/ early morning code sessions.

3: get a C4 switch and stick with just using the amps I have[/quote']

I use C4 only and have no problems. We use Rhapsody and have 240 Internet radio stations with C4 only wife and kids love it... Easy to use... 12 zones...

I use C4 only and Rhapsody as well - I believe that we have about 12 zones as well. We use only about ten or so internet stations - but we use the devil out of play lists in random mode. Wife loves it. Would not do this any other way - the ONLY issue I have is a bug that is getting fixed (I am told) where music plays in a non-music zone when an announcement plays in that zone.

Bill

I'm sure it works fine, just looking for the best solution for what we have... We like Sonos, nothing really comes close to it.

The problem again is that our speakers are already on amplifiers so it's a mater of what's the better solution between #2 and #3 above.

I'm sure it works fine, just looking for the best solution for what we have... We like Sonos, nothing really comes close to it.

The problem again is that our speakers are already on amplifiers so it's a mater of what's the better solution between #2 and #3 above.

Ok... 2 of my zones are on pioneer elite (living one/deck) and the other 2 are on a denon (front porch/basement). Is this what you mean when you say amplifier?

Yes I have three zones currently, two are on Onkyo AVR's and the third is on a Crown pro-amp as my outdoor speakers which are pro EV speakers designed for spaces like amusement parks require a ton of power. Each zone has its own Sonos ZP-90. I think using a C4 switch is going to be the best option but I'd like to hear opinions on this over using the amp/switch and using the Russound unit to keep two signals from ever hitting my speakers.

Yes I have three zones currently, two are on Onkyo AVR's and the third is on a Crown pro-amp as my outdoor speakers which are pro EV speakers designed for spaces like amusement parks require a ton of power. Each zone has its own Sonos ZP-90. I think using a C4 switch is going to be the best option but I'd like to hear opinions on this over using the amp/switch and using the Russound unit to keep two signals from ever hitting my speakers.

Each of my receivers have a 300C. Don't know anything about sonos sorry...

You could use a speakerpoint as a source into your receiver, and get all the digital audio from it.

So my solution...just switch to Sonos for music control. Pure and simple. Put the Sonos software controller on as many devices as you can and control Sonos from there... and use SR250's for C4.

In key areas where dual control is needed get an ipad, or android tablet and put both apps on each and switch between the two. It's not ideal, but works as an interim solution...

There is now way that would fly at my house. It's all go to be in one interface or it isn't gonna fly.

In key areas where dual control is needed get an ipad' date=' or android tablet and put both apps on each and switch between the two. It's not ideal, but works as an interim solution...[/quote']

There is now way that would fly at my house. It's all go to be in one interface or it isn't gonna fly.

Agree... I guess I am trying to keep simple. Just added a speaker point for sewing room that's 7 SP.

Agree with sonos for music. But for key areas it is pain to keep switching by C4 and then volume control as well.

I use Sonamp ASAP3S. By default it is on Sonos. But when you go watch then sonamp switch it self (relay).

If you want you can program volume level on it a well.

This way sonos always works (except when you are in "Watch" mode).

"Room OFF" puts sonos back as default.

1) - On Sonamp ASAP3Dse setup switches:

1 - OFF

2 - ON

3 - OFF

4 - OFF

5 - ON

6 - ON

2) - Connect cable to +IN- Volt Trig

-one for +

-one for -

3) On the back of HC300:

-bridge 12V and COM

connect "+" cable to NO (or NC depends on your choice and default source)

connect "-" cable to SIG

4) program your relay

Archived