C4 Forums | Control4

Using Control 4 on your phone remotely

TexasBill

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This method of port forwarding has been publicly present on here for some time.

The more secure way to do it is via VPN...a much safer/better way to get on your home network at utilize it that way.

Port forwarding is not a good idea, in my opinion.

I do agree that it is cool to control remotely, I'd just suggest the VPN route.

Does anyone know how to setup a VPN for this purpose with a Cisco WRVS4400N Router (Firmware Version 2.0.1.3)?

I've tried looking through the instructions, but it is over my head since there are a number of variables depending on the application. So what I'm asking is if anyone knows the steps to set up this Router to allow me to access the My House App from my iPhone while the phone is outside of my Wireless LAN.

Thanks in advance.

This method of port forwarding has been publicly present on here for some time.

The more secure way to do it is via VPN...a much safer/better way to get on your home network at utilize it that way.

Port forwarding is not a good idea' date=' in my opinion.

I do agree that it is cool to control remotely, I'd just suggest the VPN route.[/quote']

Does anyone know how to setup a VPN for this purpose with a Cisco WRVS4400N Router (Firmware Version 2.0.1.3)?

I've tried looking through the instructions, but it is over my head since there are a number of variables depending on the application. So what I'm asking is if anyone knows the steps to set up this Router to allow me to access the My House App from my iPhone while the phone is outside of my Wireless LAN.

Thanks in advance.

The WRVS4400N doesn't support regular IPSEC or SSL VPN connections. It will do Router to Router setup but not to a mobile device. An alternative is uring a DD-WRT enabled router and going that route or as others have mentioned setting up a 1U server or secondary PC to run PPTP server.

Alternatively you can purchase a cheap Cisco ASA 5505 which will allow for the iPhone IPSEC VPN.

The WRVS4400N doesn't support regular IPSEC or SSL VPN connections. It will do Router to Router setup but not to a mobile device. An alternative is uring a DD-WRT enabled router and going that route or as others have mentioned setting up a 1U server or secondary PC to run PPTP server.

Alternatively you can purchase a cheap Cisco ASA 5505 which will allow for the iPhone IPSEC VPN.

Thank you very much for your explanation. To be clear, is this the device that you are recommending?

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-ASA5505-50-BUN-K9-5505-Security-Appliance/dp/tech-data/B000JVTTPW

• 9 months later...

Just wanted to update a little gotcha that might help other DD-WRT users trying to get this setup.

The older builds did not have a DNS field in the PPTP settings. I changed my main router to a newer build and I had this field and left it blank. PPTP broke. I also filled in the server with the router IP, but I'm not sure if that is necessary or not. I went ahead and made both changes at once, and it worked, so I'm done.

Explained here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=686335

Original Wiki page that gets you 99% there:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/PPTP_Server_Configuration

I am having issues getting my IP Cameras to show in MyHome PC, Android or iOS without VPN running. When I connect PPTP VPN to my DD-WRT firmware router, no issues. However, when I connect port-forwarded everything works except the IP cameras. I have 80, 5020 and 5021 forwarded to my directory (UDP and TCP). Any ideas?

I know VPN is more secure but since Tasker can't toggle unless I root my phone (1-VPN stopped being supported on 4.x) and iPhone can't automatically toggle I am willing to deal with the port forwarding security concerns if I can get it working that way. I can launch my DVR's iOS app and see the cameras fine but I'd like it to be all in the C4 UI without VPN if possible.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Dan

I'm not familiar with 1-VPN but I assume by 4.x you are refering to Android. I am using the stock VPN function in android 4.0 on my stock GS3 with PPTP and it works with MyHome and shows the cameras. Mine are served through a SnapAV DVR. The DVR is also addressible on the local network over VPN as is my NAS. I am scared of port forwarding.

swassbac - to explain it very basic - you can't see your cameras because they are addressed locally in composer, in order for you to see them connecting remotely via port forwarding, the cameras need to be addressed as they would if you accessed them from afar ( i.e: dyndns, any other dynamic dns service, or public ip and port).. When you connect via VPN what you do is create a "tunnel" between your phone and your local network and that why you can see you cameras that are addressed local (i.e: 192.168.x.x or any other local "private" ip ). if you get your dealer to address them with a public ip or dynamic dns service you'll be able to see them via port forwarding.

Am I in the same situation as "byronomo" I am using Cisco RVS4000 router and also have a NAS DNS325 with more capabilities then I will ever be able to figure out.

I would love to setup VPN and have downloaded info from net, youtube etc but I am reluctant to fwd port 80 as suggested in fear of screwing up the C4 800 control access

capabilities.

This might just demonstrate my lack of knowledge but would love to have access via iPhone.

If someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated ( even if the advice is,don't try it )

Thanks

I switched the router to a cisco RV220w since it supports PPTP VPN. I did not want to try to tackle setting up a Cisco ASA device. There are many other options discussed in this and other threads. I was able to setup PPTP and it works reliably even over 3G/4G on verizon. If you do this use a strong key as it has been documented to not be as secure as IPSEC.

swassbac - to explain it very basic - you can't see your cameras because they are addressed locally in composer, in order for you to see them connecting remotely via port forwarding, the cameras need to be addressed as they would if you accessed them from afar ( i.e: dyndns, any other dynamic dns service, or public ip and port)

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked and the internal and external addressing is both using the dyndns FQDNs. I am using loopback on my DD-WRT firmware so the same address is used internally and externally. That is how I use the app for the SnapAV DVR - same address works on my internal WiFi or external with port forwarding. In fact, I can connect to each camera externally on my phone using a camera viewer app with the DNS name - it just doesn't show in C4 remotely.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

swassbac - to explain it very basic - you can't see your cameras because they are addressed locally in composer' date=' in order for you to see them connecting remotely via port forwarding, the cameras need to be addressed as they would if you accessed them from afar ( i.e: dyndns, any other dynamic dns service, or public ip and port)[/quote']

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked and the internal and external addressing is both using the dyndns FQDNs. I am using loopback on my DD-WRT firmware so the same address is used internally and externally. That is how I use the app for the SnapAV DVR - same address works on my internal WiFi or external with port forwarding. In fact, I can connect to each camera externally on my phone using a camera viewer app with the DNS name - it just doesn't show in C4 remotely.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

I don't know if this will work with the c4 app remotely and the snap/ev driver. When you configure the snap DVD for control4 each camera has its on driver, and all you enter is the IP address of the dvr. On traditional ip cameras you can change the port from say 80 to 333 or whatever, a unique port for each camera, and port forward those ip addresses/ports. But snap handling the magic somehow with the ev driver (assuming that's what you use) - I would defer to having your dealer submit a ticket to Eva's site and they will be able to tell you if this is possible and how.

Archived