C4 Forums | Control4

Using Control 4 on your phone remotely

TexasBill

You can set it up in the iPhone under Network settings, there is an option for VPN, you just fill in the blanks specific to your network setup. For my DD-WRT-upgraded Linksys router I use a PPTP setup...but I also use DynDNS for an IP address--I don't think it will work very well without either a static IP address for your home network (unusual) or using a service like DynDNS that will allow your phone to find the network just using a DNS address you pay for.

I know I found details at one point, but I can't remember how much I found that was specific, and how much I had to figure out on my own by trial and error.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No doubt the VPN is the better approach' date=' but I've had some troubles w/ the VPN connection on the iPhone. What are you using to create the VPN? And, will a (Verizon) iPhone connect to it via 3G? I have a Cisco RVS 4000 at home. At work, we're running into some problems w/ our Cisco ASAs now requiring different user licenses to allow iPhone / iPad remote connections, costing about $100 per concurrent license. Any add'l tips on setting up the VPN would be helpful. The app without remote access is practically useless IMHO.

Thanks.[/quote']

Earo, someone is feeding you incorrect information. If you want to use AnyConnect VPN, there is a mobile license that you need to purchase but is not a per-user license. It is a single license per ASA. Or you could also just use IPSec the native iPhone VPN client as neter is doing.

Correct, we did get some incorrect information from CDW. It is definitely a device license, not a user license. Anyone have thoughts on setting up a VPN on the ASA 5505 (either IPSEC or the AnyConnect version) vs the RVS 4000? Will the IPSEC VPN on the RVS 4000 work on 3G? I'm skeptical since I can't get my IPSEC VPN on my VZW iPhone to connect to my ASA 5510 at the office. Only on wi-fi.

You can set it up in the iPhone under Network settings, there is an option for VPN, you just fill in the blanks specific to your network setup. For my DD-WRT-upgraded Linksys router I use a PPTP setup...but I also use DynDNS for an IP address--I don't think it will work very well without either a static IP address for your home network (unusual) or using a service like DynDNS that will allow your phone to find the network just using a DNS address you pay for.

I know I found details at one point, but I can't remember how much I found that was specific, and how much I had to figure out on my own by trial and error.

I am using DYNDNS already for my Video cameras so that I can use them on my phone (lookup iWATCH DVR or BUBO BUBO in the App store for an incredible camera watching app).

I have a Linksys-E1000 router for my main incoming internet information.

Bill

I'm using iVPN on a Mac Mini. My iPhone is 3G through AT&T. Works great. (also use no-ip.com for static IP fyi) Hope that helps someone... it now works like it is suppose to - remotely. ;0

I just want to start out that this has been the best thread that i've seen on people sharing their VPN settings and success.

I have a mac mini running as a XBMC player 24/7 so i think ill try this route.

My setup that doesnt work is DD-WRT running on a linksys wrt 310N. I have it set up for pptp.

Well, here's my setup.

Supermicro 1U rack mount Atom cpu w/ ssd and 2 Network ports

PFSense 2.0

PPTP VPN running on PFSense

PPTP setup on iOS devices

Rock solid Firewall and VPN.

Running a captive portal for device registration (think hotel registration to get internet access)

Running Squid for internet content filtering (keeps the kids safe, just make sure you exempt your dealer's computer and the main controller so they can get access)

Also has a built in packet capture feature for solving troubleshooting issues.

Can also run OpenVPN and other cool stuff.

Best of all, besides the 1U computer (80-90 bucks) and a spare HD, its all free.

Well, here's my setup.

PFSense 2.0

Running a captive portal for device registration (think hotel registration to get internet access)

Running Squid for internet content filtering (keeps the kids safe, just make sure you exempt your dealer's computer and the main controller so they can get access)

Best of all, besides the 1U computer (80-90 bucks) and a spare HD, its all free.

Is this what you're running?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811152131&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Server+-+Chassis-_-SuperMicro-_-11152131

Well, here's my setup.

PFSense 2.0

I would love to get something like that setup, and would be willing to pay you to help me get something like that going if you're interested.

Yeah, I had a spare micro motherboard I threw in the chassi.

Here is another off amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IW7AU6/

Need memory and an hd. I went ssd for stability, but any old hd will work.

Download pfsense from pfsense.org, burn to cd/dvd and load via external usb dvd (I had a spare laying around, but if not, buy one).

pfsense is tiny, doesn't need any major horsepower.

Heck an old computer with a dual nic card will work (or two network cards).

It's pretty straight forward, but if you need help, let me know.

You can play around with installing and setting it up using virtualbox if you want to take it for a test drive.

For more specifics, I'm running DD-WRT on a WRT54GS router. On the Service, VPN tab enable PPTP server. Turn on PPTP Server, Broadcast support, Force MPPE Encryption. Give the server an IP on your local subnet. Enter client IPs in the format: x.x.x.x-x (for example

192.168.0.120-125

if your subnet was 192.168.0.x).

Fill in the CHAP secret in the format

account * password *

with spaces just like I show

I fill in the section for PPTP on my iPhone and this works great over Edge, 3G, or WiFi.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - I went to FRY's electronics and purchased a Zyxel Wireless Gigabit N VPN Firewall Router for $109.00

It is incredibly powerful and gives the user two "tunnels" simultaneously for the VPN.

I set up a PPTP VPN and port forwards incoming to the C4 controller IP address.

On my iPHONE I simply told it to set up a VPN PPTP and pointed it to my external IP address and ta da!

I have a VPN -

This was simple and easy and fast.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Bill

If you've got your VPN setup correctly, and you're able to connect, you should not need port forwarding configured.

I have several cameras - those need to have port forwarding so that when I "Bubo Bubo" I get to the camera and not C4.

Port 80 goes directly to C4 and works a treat - port 90 goes to the cameras.

Bill

Has anyone used the CISCO RVS4000 for VPN. Any thoughts how it might compare to the Zyxel? I still want to implement VPN but want to keep my current D-Link wireless router with gigabyte ports because I really like the interface and how I have it set up. Any problem using something else like the Zyxel between my cable modem and my D-Link router? I thought about the CISCO ASA 5505 but don't know if I want to mess with the setup and license issues as well as the extra cost since I really only want to VPN in for the C4 control.

Has anyone used the CISCO RVS4000 for VPN. Any thoughts how it might compare to the Zyxel? I still want to implement VPN but want to keep my current D-Link wireless router with gigabyte ports because I really like the interface and how I have it set up. Any problem using something else like the Zyxel between my cable modem and my D-Link router? I thought about the CISCO ASA 5505 but don't know if I want to mess with the setup and license issues as well as the extra cost since I really only want to VPN in for the C4 control.

The ZYXEL has gigabit ports - you won't like it between your other router and the cable modem.

Bill

Would the following step-by-step work for using C4 remotely?

"I setup a VPN on my desktop at home and when connected, it fools the app into thinking I am on the home network.

On Windows

1. In Windows 7, you open "Network and Sharing Center"

2. On the left, select "Change Adapter Settings"

3. Press Alt to get the File option and choose "New Incoming Connection"

4. Select your username and hit Next

5. Check "Through the Internet" and select Next

6. Make sure "Internet Protocol Version 4" is checked and hit Allow Access.

Setup port forwarding for port 1723 to your PC. Also check that PPTP passthrough is enabled in the router. Use http://canyouseeme.org to check if your port is open. Once it is, go to the iPhone/iPad

On iPhone/iPad

1. Go to Settings>General>Network>VPN>Add VPN Configuration

2. Select PPTP

3. Description (Name), Server (IP Address), Account (PC Username) Password (PC Password)

4. Save and check if it connects.

When connected, you'll see a box that says VPN either beside the 3G or WiFi symbol or beside the battery percentage depending on what app you're in.

C4 App

1. Enable VPN and establish a connection first (VPN symbol in Status Bar)

2. Start the Control4 iOS App

3. Enjoy 3G and external WiFi usage!"

If you setup the VPN correctly, all you have to do when you're away is enable the vpn on the iPhone and login. It's pretty simple. The "complex" part is setting up the VPN on your network to handle that.

So would the steps I posted above work? I have it working for other iOS apps like TimeWarnerCable....

If you setup the VPN correctly' date=' all you have to do when you're away is enable the vpn on the iPhone and login. It's pretty simple. The "complex" part is setting up the VPN on your network to handle that.[/quote']

So would the steps I posted above work? I have it working for other iOS apps like TimeWarnerCable....

Not sure, haven't done it.

Note that for dynamic IP addresses, you can use a service such as DynDns.org and enter the DNS name in C4 MyHome. It doesn't have to be an IP address.

I have been meaning to switch over to VPN. Do you have to connect to the VPN each time prior to initializing C4? I wonder if there is a way to specify it to be turned on specifically for C4 (and/or other apps)?

Anyone know the answer? Is there some way to specify VPN be turned on for C4 app? Would be great if there was when not on XYZ wifi start vpn when c4 app opened...

Note that for dynamic IP addresses' date=' you can use a service such as DynDns.org and enter the DNS name in C4 MyHome. It doesn't have to be an IP address.

I have been meaning to switch over to VPN. Do you have to connect to the VPN each time prior to initializing C4? I wonder if there is a way to specify it to be turned on specifically for C4 (and/or other apps)?[/quote']

Anyone know the answer? Is there some way to specify VPN be turned on for C4 app? Would be great if there was when not on XYZ wifi start vpn when c4 app opened...

You can do that stuff on an Android phone with an app called "Tasker". I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't allow you to have automated control like that over your device.

Well, here's my setup.

PFSense 2.0

How are you getting SafeSquid for free? The trial is limited. Also, how often do they update content filtering and is there any mis-categorization of site content?

Archived