C4 Forums | Control4

Replaced Router now Control4 not working. Help Please !

tratliff

My Cisco RV120 router went out. I replaced it with a Linksys because that was the only one I could get around here and I need to get it up and running. But now I can't get my Control4 system to link up. I've rebooted everything dozens of times, tried every combination I could think of but still can't get it to work. I'm sure it is something simple I am overlooking but I can't figure out what the problem is.

Wired computers work fine. The Control4 controllers and other components show up in the router table and have a valid IP. I can ping them, but get them to work.

The new router is assigning different IP's than the old one. Would that matter? The Control4 components are set-up as dynamic, not static IP's, so they should be fine with any IP they are assigned, correct? I did have my LAN IP at 192.168.1.1 but that range is being used by the modem. The new router is giving 10.29.174.xx

Network gear consist of a Westell DSL modem, Linksys EA6500 router, and Cisco switch. I have 2 HC300's.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I have tried everything but I'm sure there is something I am overlooking.

Thanks!

What isn't working?

It is possible that your control4 controllers have hard coded dns?

A lot of devices in Composer Pro may be id'd based on their IP, so you might have to re-id them with the new ip's assigned.

Details on what isn't working will help track down where the problem is.

The controllers aren't working. When I reboot them, I am unable to get the get the C4 screen on my displays or use the remotes.

I also think the "link" light on front of the HC300 used to come on. They aren't on now.

I'm pretty sure the controllers were set up to use dynamic IP's.

Aren't the devices ID'd using the MAC addresses? If not, how would I re-ID them if I can't access the controller?

Thanks for your help.

You could try changing the settings on the new router to match the old. I have changed out routers mutiple times and I just reconfigure the new one with the same settings. Otherwise, you may need your dealer to re-identify them. Hope this helps.

Good thought about the static IP's, but I didn't have static IP's on any of the C4 equipment (just on a NAS, media player and printer).

All the C4 equipment is connected through a good switch. They all have good IP addresses. I'm confused as to why I can't access the controller and why the MTS can't find the Controller.

I'm going to swap in a different router and reboot everything for the 100th time when I get home tonight.

Please let me know if anyone has any other ideas to try. Thanks for all the help.

I guess its possible that your controllers were identified in your project using IP addresses instead of their MAC address. This could explain why you can ping them but not get everything to work. My HC300 doesn't have a static IP address and has never in 2+ years changed.

Disconnect your modem from the router and change its IP range to 192.168.1.x. That will be a quick and easy test. If that still doesn't work, I would try another router if you have one.

Also, not sure why your modem is using a 192 range. It should be getting a public IP address from your service provider. Little confused on that part.

Probably a double NAT... Typical ISP router is a firewall, or at least doing NAT. Then people put another router in front... Causes all kinds of issues...

Really should look to see if you can put the ISP modem / gateway device in "Bridge mode" and remove one of the private network hops.

Not the real issue, but another issue nontheless...

My guess, the TS's and other IP devices were ID'd in Composer Pro using the IP. Will need Composer Pro / Dealer to re-ID, even if you restore the router IP scheme, if these devices were getting DHCP assigned IPs and not static, then they still will get new IPs, just in range and will still need to be ID'd

You may be right the NAT. I was unable to get the router talking to the DSL modem if the modem was bridged - it wouldn't connect to internet. Should be able to, but wouldn't work. I'll try taking out the stand-alone router and just use the router built into the DSL modem and see if that works.

Then I'll swap in a different modem/router when I am able to get one.

I'll also check the subnet as was suggested.

My dealer offered to come take a look and I may have to have him Re-ID. I don't like that idea, but . . .

Thanks to all.

Update on my problem:

I replaced the router - twice. Replaced the DSL modem. Checked and re-checked all the network settings. Still no reponse from the C4 Controllers.

So my excellent dealer came to look at the system this morning. Turns out it wasn't a network issue. What had happened was that somehow, director and all the other services were turned off on both the master and slave controller. He has no idea how that could happen. My router had gone out but that shouldn't have caused the services on the controller to turn off. Wierd.

But got it up and back working again.

Thanks to all for the input.

• 4 years later...

Hopefully this is seen. Just had to replace my router.

My current set up is a ActionTec router/modem that I bridged to my brand-new Google router.  My old Asus router was on a IP address of 192.168.8.1

Now my new Google router got assigned 192.168.1.104

When I log on to the controller it can't find it, is it because of the different address?

I had a client call me the other night saying her internet wasnt working. After 20 mins of trouble shooting over the phone she decides to mention she put in a new router / modem herself. Got her to call the cable company and put it in bridge mode. BAM, worked. Please, please call your installer before making any changes to your network. It saves everyone time. Time = money.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, adamt said:

Yes simple networking stumps some of these folks BUT they all think they should have ComposerPro.....Just my 2 cents.

Don't speak for everyone - I am guessing that some of the folks that want ComposerPro know way more than most C4 dealers about networking.  My first dealer was an electrician who wasn't that well versed in computers and networking.

14 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Don't speak for everyone - I am guessing that some of the folks that want ComposerPro know way more than most C4 dealers about networking.  My first dealer was an electrician who wasn't that well versed in computers and networking.

Thats why my statement was "SOME" ........

• 4 years later...
On 3/5/2017 at 10:01 PM, Gix656 said:

I had a client call me the other night saying her internet wasnt working. After 20 mins of trouble shooting over the phone she decides to mention she put in a new router / modem herself. Got her to call the cable company and put it in bridge mode. BAM, worked. Please, please call your installer before making any changes to your network. It saves everyone time. Time = money.

On 3/5/2017 at 10:01 PM, Gix656 said:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.