C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI Video Matrix Switch advise

Hello All,

I am curious what you guys think of this product, and if anyone has used\installed this before? The setup I'm interested in for my build has around 9 TV's and would require 8x16 for future additions.

Control4 Equipment -

Control4® Leaf 4K Ultra HD 10x10 AV Matrix Switch - LU1082 - ***Now I'm limited to 10 max****     - $10,000

Control4® Leaf 4K Ultra HD HDBaseT Receiver (Class A) - LU1E - $370 x 9 = $3300

Total = $13,000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----WolfPack 4K 8x16 HDMI HDBaseT Matrix with Control4 Support-----

*** Can be Upgraded to Larger Capacity without buying another HDMI Matrix Switch ***

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/modular-hdmi-matrix.html

1 - 4K 2 in and 2 out card cage

1 - 4K 8-port HDMI input cards

2 - 4K 5Play 8-port HDBaseT 330 feet POE output cards

9 - 4K POE HDBaseT to 330 feet receivers

1 - Control4 Drivers - Free
Total = $10, 600

What are your thoughts???

Why not look at a modular IP system!  Just add power and video storm are the two major players in that space.  I have video storm and love it

both allow to add inputs or outputs in small increments.  So to do 9x16 or whatever is easy.  

I dont want to be that guy but...

Never heard of or used "wolf pack".

Says so in the specs " HDMI, HDCP 1.1 and DVI 1.0 compliant " - I wouldnt buy any HDMI matrix today that doesnt support HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, as more devices come out that support/require it (New XBOX, Playstation, UltraHD blu-ray, cable boxes, Roku etc) then your matrix is just a multi thousand dollar stop gap. Yes, it can support 4k but thats misleading - 4k resoution support has been around since hdmi 1.4 however it doesnt do HDCP 2.2 which is required for most any 4k consumer content except 4k you make from your camcorder as an example. 

The Control4 drivers arent in the database so hopefully HDTV supply provides them.

You could do a setup with the leaf where you have two and have a couple duplicated sources. For example:

DirecTV 1, AppleTV 1, C4 On-screen 1, other inputs - output to TVs 1-10

DirecTV 2, AppleTV 2, C4 On-screen 2, other inputs - output to TVs 11-20

You wouldnt be able to watch DTV 1 on TV 12 or Apple 2 on TV 5, but you still have a reduced number of sources and a video distribution setup. It can be cheaper than the true modular 4K options like Just Add Power, which is our go to on 16x16 and up. A 9x9 4K HDMI 2/HDCP 2.2 with Atmos support and all that runs right around $20,000 if I recall retail. There are pros and cons to either setups. 

Define your technical needs and a budget then shop the market. If you cant find a great match either adjust your budget or your tech specs to find a happy medium.

My .02

If you don't need 4K, the Netplay system by Videostorm is pretty damn cool.

lots of features that are built in like pip for ip cameras, pop up text messages, watch multiple sources on one screen

doorbell rings and if you're watching tv, it'll pop up a little window of your doorbell camera and give you either a text or voice announcement.

Look at Just Add Power. That system is very good and expandable. It's basically transmitters and receivers using an Ethernet switch for matrix duty. You can just add transmitters and/or receivers as your system grows. 

59 minutes ago, C4Jedi said:

Just Add Power can do 4k?

Yes, the 3G product line was announced at CEDIA in October 2016 and was shipping shortly thereafter - with support for HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2

http://justaddpower.com/product-range.html

Recently the 3G+ HiFi was added to the line supporting DTS:X and Dolby  Atmos. 

Just add power also, to my knowledge, is the only matrix switch capable of sending 4K to 4K tvs and downscaling 4K content to display on 1080P tvs that wouldnt otherwise accept a 4K HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 source. So if you are sharing a source throughout and have some zones like a family room that are 4K but a patio TV, mirror tv in the bathroom or something that isn't 4K, it can still be part of the system.

59 minutes ago, C4Jedi said:

Just Add Power can do 4k?

Yes, the 3G product line was announced at CEDIA in October 2016 and was shipping shortly thereafter - with support for HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2

http://justaddpower.com/product-range.html

Recently the 3G+ HiFi was added to the line supporting DTS:X and Dolby  Atmos. 

Just add power also, to my knowledge, is the only matrix switch capable of sending 4K to 4K tvs and downscaling 4K content to display on 1080P tvs that wouldnt otherwise accept a 4K HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 source. So if you are sharing a source throughout and have some zones like a family room that are 4K but a patio TV, mirror tv in the bathroom or something that isn't 4K, it can still be part of the system.

Just spoke with TechSupport for NetPlay they will have 4k Support via October 2016. My concern is they said there is a delay when switching channels, and with video. So if you are watching a LIVE sport broadcast it will be delayed?? Anyone here use Just Add Power or Net Play who can give some more in depth review.

Just spoke with TechSupport for NetPlay they will have 4k Support via October 2016. My concern is they said there is a delay when switching channels, and with video. So if you are watching a LIVE sport broadcast it will be delayed?? Anyone here use Just Add Power or Net Play who can give some more in depth review.

On 7/5/2016 at 11:41 AM, Michaelzxy said:

TheCodeMan you must be crazy!!!

Item #: VBSHDMI749AVP
MSRP:

$1,899.00 X 10 +  = $20,000 just for transmitters -

This is not including the $699 receiver so say for a 10x10 that's over 26K

No, I'm not crazy. I'm a dealer and just quoted a client that. 

3G transmitter VBS-HDMI-718AVP - $1000 x9, luxul 24 port poe $1,349.95, 3g receiver VBS-HDMI-518AVP $1000 x9 = $19,349.95 which fits the "Right around $20,000 if I recall" for a "9x9" 4K system.

Your part number is the 3 Source rack mount transmitter, meaning it takes the place of 3 718AVPs. So, in your example you have 30 inputs.......

28 minutes ago, thecodeman said:

No, I'm not crazy. I'm a dealer and just quoted a client that. 

3G transmitter VBS-HDMI-718AVP - $1000 x9, luxul 24 port poe $1,349.95, 3g receiver VBS-HDMI-518AVP $1000 x9 = $19,349.95 which fits the "Right around $20,000 if I recall" for a "9x9" 4K system.

Your part number is the 3 Source rack mount transmitter, meaning it takes the place of 3 718AVPs. So, in your example you have 30 inputs.......

Not to mention - yah, you get what you pay for. Just Add Power = Just Works

For Netplay, the video delay is typically less than 6 seconds, I would guess.  That is why they recommend their audio switcher that has lip-synch correction to line up the audio with the video.  Any decoder + encoder scenario will have some sort of delay with all the conversion processes going on.

When the systems are dialed in for audio and video, you wouldn't notice it.  The remote delay for switching channels is basically non-existent.

3 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Not to mention - yah, you get what you pay for. Just Add Power = Just Works

sigh.. It is sad and insane how many messages I get from people who try other 4K Matrix products with nothing but issues. They do JAP 3G and boom it all works the first time with no issues. PLUS you can send 4K to all the 4K displays and down res to 1080P or even 720P on a per monitor basis for the non 4K displays. 

4 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

For Netplay, the video delay is typically less than 6 seconds, I would guess.  That is why they recommend their audio switcher that has lip-synch correction to line up the audio with the video.  Any decoder + encoder scenario will have some sort of delay with all the conversion processes going on.

When the systems are dialed in for audio and video, you wouldn't notice it.  The remote delay for switching channels is basically non-existent.

Sorry - not my findings.

JAP, HDBaseT the delay is ms - and indeed not noticeable in control and not an issue at all.

Netplay, with a few seconds delay - control IS noticeable. It has a lot of other advantages to be sure - but the delays IS a bit of an issue once you're talking anything over 500ms when it comes to control. Yes, the audio delay needs to be handled, for example by using their own audio matrix (which is excellent by the way) but that's not a major issue (assuming it's planned right.

A 'few seconds' can be a lot for control though, not to mention very time sensitive things like the live ball game, stockmarket viewing and more.

Even at best, many find it irritating to not have the channel change right away, not to mention pausing, or rewinding for that replay....

Opinions...how does that saying go?

With the few systems I've installed, channel changes are less than 1 second and haven't heard any complaints on that front at all.  To each their own I guess.

Never said I was right nor wrong, just my experience.

1 minute ago, Kevin L said:

sigh.. It is sad and insane how many messages I get from people who try other 4K Matrix products with nothing but issues. They do JAP 3G and boom it all works the first time with no issues. PLUS you can send 4K to all the 4K displays and down res to 1080P or even 720P on a per monitor basis for the non 4K displays. 

Doesn't surprise me.

Don't get me wrong - I understand trying to save money - or ;just' trying to get what you want within what you can spend - as well as anyone else.

But as with so many things, there's often a sense of entitlement these days where everyone expects that the cheapest products should just work and behave without fail or limitations like the high-tech demos they see. Just the other day I had someone get the cheapest piece of junk Android TV, which didn't even work properly with it's on remote and expected me to somehow make it work as smooth as the Roku and AppleTV I demo'd - but he wanted the free movies and free TV, and not spend money to get that while he was at it.

Just doesn't happen - not to mention that the bill he got to MAKE things work (somewhat) ends up costing....

3 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Opinions...how does that saying go?

With the few systems I've installed, channel changes are less than 1 second and haven't heard any complaints on that front at all.  To each their own I guess.

Never said I was right nor wrong, just my experience.

And I stated my findings were different - not that you were right or wrong.

One second would drive me personally insane - and we took 10 people to a demo of the stuff, and 9 said they didn't like the 'slow control' to varying degrees with the 10th stating she noticed it but it wouldn't bother her.

That said, NetPlay offers a number of nice features in it's own right - if those are more important than it's downsides....

Archived