C4 Forums | Control4

Is it time to *seriously* consider a JRiver Driver?

New for MC24

It's coming in May.  Here are a few highlights:

Zone Sync 2 -- Synchronized audio, similar to Sonos, across multiple MC devices.
Lossless Streaming from listener supported Radio Paradise
Blu-Ray Menus -- Choose chapters, extras, etc.
4K and UHD Support -- Play the latest video formats.
64 Bit -- Our faster version now supports Handheld Sync.
Read more on the MC24 board on the JRiver forum.

Looking at the above specs: I think it is... 
And Unlike XBMC: JRiver is a paid and supported (with money) media player (A bit like Plex in that regard)...
But like XBMC it's Supported on Windows, OSX and Linux

Comments please.... 

(oh and Queue Nitro: :P)

New for MC24 It's coming in May.  Here are a few highlights:
Zone Sync 2 -- Synchronized audio, similar to Sonos, across multiple MC devices. Lossless Streaming from listener supported Radio Paradise Blu-Ray Menus -- Choose chapters, extras, etc. 4K and UHD Support -- Play the latest video formats. 64 Bit -- Our faster version now supports Handheld Sync. Read more on the MC24 board on the JRiver forum.   Looking at the above specs: I think it is...  And Unlike XBMC: JRiver is a paid and supported (with money) media player (A bit like Plex in that regard)... But like XBMC it's Supported on Windows, OSX and Linux   Comments please....    (oh and Queue Nitro: )

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, CFUG said:

Who was it who got banned here for his JRiver escapades? 

A guy called "Nitro". We shouldn't ban passionate free speech. Though he/she had their faults some things that were said back then have stood the test of time.

But sure. I get your point. I ain that stupid or lack total insight...  :rolleyes:

However truth be told, Nitro was around at a time I recall when even Control4 still promoted the existence of Movie and music libraries. Libraries managed at home- with content controlled (and stored) by individual consumers...

However though Control4 seems to have drifted away from this concept, and seem to be spending more time recently on things like Spotify connect etc (which I also quite happen to like) people still have NAS storage. And they still use devices like KScope...

And JRiver still exists. It remains a way of controlling and playing media stored in ones home. For personal and home use only. It clearly still has a core following of enthusiasts and it still fills a niche (for people who remain independent of Hollywood) and who wish to maintain their own control of their (paid) content.

Hence my q.

But sure. If others don't think there is need for such a driver? I'm fine with it. I'll go on using XBMC or streaming movies direct via the Oppo and HiRes music via a Mac Mini and other Hires streamers.

For me I like both concepts. Both paid for service streaming (like Spotify and Netflix) and home content storage.

In fact it's my understanding JRiver is one of the few platforms out there that seems to do both well...Could be wrong about that though.. that's why I am curious to revisit it.. I know things like Audirvana do just that extremely well for Music.. anyway..

I'm neither here nor there with it. Don't care either way. Just curious.

Cheers. 

W

• 2 years later...
14 hours ago, indiebands said:

This is an ancient history thread, but I wonder if anyone is working on a JRiver driver. I need a to be able to play back 7.1 channel FLACs via a custom home theater PC for a sound installation project. 

Is  Kodi an  option for your project?

Another thought... Roon has a C4 driver for its Nucleus which can handle 5.1 (and presumably 7.1) FLAC files. Not the cheapest approach, but a sweet piece of gear. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.