C4 Forums | Control4

Tested Lighting Brand

Hello 

Good Day,

Looking for a suggestion regarding lighting brand which dimming light is operate smoothly with adaptive phase dimmer.

recently i have tested a Chinese brand light which is flickering when i ramp the light in 2 percent. i need a flick free light.

Thanks in Advanced   

Hello 
Good Day,
Looking for a suggestion regarding lighting brand which dimming light is operate smoothly with adaptive phase dimmer.
recently i have tested a Chinese brand light which is flickering when i ramp the light in 2 percent. i need a flick free light.

Thanks in Advanced   

I use some cheap Hyperikon from Amazon and they work great with either C4-APD or Caseta dimmers:

Hyperikon PAR38 LED Bulb Dimmable, 14W (100W Equivalent), 3000K (Soft White Glow), 1220 lumens, CRI 90+, Flood Light Bulb, Medium Base (E26), ENERGY STAR - Great for Kitchen, Bedroom, Patio (6 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077G4V6M7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J1lfDbWNNGQMW

On 6/27/2019 at 7:00 PM, mallom said:

I use some cheap Hyperikon from Amazon and they work great with either C4-APD or Caseta dimmers:

Hyperikon PAR38 LED Bulb Dimmable, 14W (100W Equivalent), 3000K (Soft White Glow), 1220 lumens, CRI 90+, Flood Light Bulb, Medium Base (E26), ENERGY STAR - Great for Kitchen, Bedroom, Patio (6 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077G4V6M7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_J1lfDbWNNGQMW

have any flickering problem in every percent? such as 2% or 3% or more?

have any flickering problem in every percent? such as 2% or 3% or more?

Zero flickering in my experience on either Caseta or Keypad dimmer. Can go from 100% to 1% on a single bulb.

If I were you I would buy a 4 pack and bench test before committing to a larger order.
Thats what I did and do not regret it.

Im using their par20 and par38. For mlv spots, im just using regular MR16 50W from GE.

I am finishing a Lutron project with these- https://noralighting.com/product/nlcbc2-651/. We are using 2", 4", and the 6". They are fantastic on a forward phase dimmer. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive. Dims like Incandescent and fades the colors well. I was only unhappy with the adjustable 2" with a narrow optic- it tended to spread the light colors a bit. Higher end clients will love it, and the price allows for a GOOD margin if you are dealing with the typical C4 client. Should work stellar with the APD.

Cree stinks. They fail and flicker. I mailed a whole box of failed bulbs to their chairman and demanded a refund. No response. Phillips have been great. I’d try that. We have lots of adaptive phase dimmers and the Phillips bulbs work fine. 

Philips is usually good, suprised to hear isues with Cree - I've always heard good things.

But note that almost EVERY LED will start misbehaving at percentages below 20% - at least in the sense that there is often no visible difference. That's mostly the nature of the beast.

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

surprised to hear issues with Cree - I've always heard good things.

Cree used to be the S..T, but the lighting division was sold off to another company and has gone down hill since. They have shifted their focus to commercial lighting primarily on the lighting side, where they still excel. Their primary business is chip manufacturing. The bulbs sold through mass market were the best about six years ago when I repped them for a time. the stuff they send to Home Depot here in the States is garbage now.

8 hours ago, BakerBalay said:

Cree used to be the S..T, but the lighting division was sold off to another company and has gone down hill since. They have shifted their focus to commercial lighting primarily on the lighting side, where they still excel. Their primary business is chip manufacturing. The bulbs sold through mass market were the best about six years ago when I repped them for a time. the stuff they send to Home Depot here in the States is garbage now.

You’re wrong. Our bulbs were all 6-7 years old and 30-40% have failed. I replaced them with new Crees 2-3 years ago and all of those failed. They should be sued. If anyone gets a class action going let me know. 

15 hours ago, penn65000 said:

You’re wrong. Our bulbs were all 6-7 years old and 30-40% have failed. I replaced them with new Crees 2-3 years ago and all of those failed. They should be sued. If anyone gets a class action going let me know. 

I suspect that Cree was always using lesser tech in the mass market brands to keep the cost down, even though they were more expensive than other brands.

9 hours ago, BakerBalay said:

I suspect that Cree was always using lesser tech in the mass market brands to keep the cost down, even though they were more expensive than other brands.

Well they still claimed .20 year life or something of sort for their consumer bulbs. So they should be sued. 

On 7/1/2019 at 6:46 PM, penn65000 said:

Cree stinks. They fail and flicker. I mailed a whole box of failed bulbs to their chairman and demanded a refund. No response. Phillips have been great. I’d try that. We have lots of adaptive phase dimmers and the Phillips bulbs work fine. 

If you would have just called their support line they would have replaced them. I had a lot of the original ones they sold at Home Depot and they all failed in 1-2 years. All were replaced with a simple phone call. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.