C4 Forums | Control4

Somfy mylink + Ubiquiti AP = crap storm

outmotoring

So, I have a series of RTS controlled somfy R28 motors around my house along with a Somfy MYLink which connects to a pretty robust network run on Ubiquiti AP's. What I have found is that they don't get along well and I'm constantly getting errors on the Somfy app ("mylink cannot be found, internal error, etc) as well as random issues with the various shade scenes not working all the time.  They work correctly via the Telis remotes so this is a relationship between the MyLinks not connecting to the AP's consistently.

I need some help. If I do what is proposed in this article linked below I would turn a old router into a AP but if I give it a specific name such as "Somfy" I think it would come up as a separate network, correct? If so, I would not be able to control the shades from the app on my phone and C4 would not integrate as they would be on a different wi-fi network, correct? I assume that even if the IP I assign to the 'new' oddball AP (recycled netgear router for example) is on the same network wouldn't it just having a different name cause issues? I know in the setup of the Mylink you have to select the home network to finalize setup and it is then linked to that network but if I link to the original wi-fi network (vs the new single AP just for this Mylink) it will not work. Are my assumptions correct?

Also, has anyone else had this issue and there is a easier solution that I have overlooked?

Is this (aside from the POE mess described) a good solution?

https://www.smartshadingsystems.com/mylink-fix-for-ubiquit/

8 minutes ago, outmotoring said:

So, I have a series of RTS controlled somfy R28 motors around my house along with a Somfy MYLink which connects to a pretty robust network run on Ubiquiti AP's. What I have found is that they don't get along well and I'm constantly getting errors on the Somfy app ("mylink cannot be found, internal error, etc) as well as random issues with the various shade scenes not working all the time.  They work correctly via the Telis remotes so this is a relationship between the MyLinks not connecting to the AP's consistently.

I need some help. If I do what is proposed in this article linked below I would turn a old router into a AP but if I give it a specific name such as "Somfy" I think it would come up as a separate network, correct? If so, I would not be able to control the shades from the app on my phone and C4 would not integrate as they would be on a different wi-fi network, correct? I assume that even if the IP I assign to the 'new' oddball AP (recycled netgear router for example) is on the same network wouldn't it just having a different name cause issues? I know in the setup of the Mylink you have to select the home network to finalize setup and it is then linked to that network but if I link to the original wi-fi network (vs the new single AP just for this Mylink) it will not work. Are my assumptions correct?

Also, has anyone else had this issue and there is a easier solution that I have overlooked?

Is this (aside from the POE mess described) a good solution?

https://www.smartshadingsystems.com/mylink-fix-for-ubiquit/

What is the software version of your MyLink?  I had this IDENTICAL problem.  going from v5.16 (or anything previous) to 5.20 solved it.  I talked with Somfy tech support and 5.20 was released for this exact issue with "certain brands of APs".  Since the update no issues at all - and that is pushing well over 6 weeks I think?  Prior to that MyLink would lose connection at least weekly if not more often, and I had an AP right in the room where the MyLink was located!

Before 5.20 release (I Was working with Somfy for a bit) they did suggest that on 1 AP to create a new network name and only hook up the MyLink to it.  Do not have the other APs broadcast that name.  The issue (pre 5.20) was that the MyLink would constantly be hopping between APs and eventually just lose connection.

Either way, since 5.20 its been flawless.  I've had my Fing app send me a text every time MyLink went off network (because it was happening so frequently I had to monitor when it was happening) and now with 5.20 Fing has not alerted me 1 of any changes to the status of MyLink.

5 minutes ago, outmotoring said:

I see now that my mylink APP is on V6.4 but I am not sure if that means the MyLink is on the same version or not. But, what is strange is why would the app be on a 6.4 release and the mylink would be in the 5.xx range?

That’s common. Just different release cycles. 

I'm also okay with abandoning Ubiquiti all together (USG Security Router and 4 AP's).  I find the router is about 10 times hotter than anything else in my rack and it has TONS of breathing room but is scalding to the touch ALL the time.

If so, what brand/model # of router and ap's are the best? I can get the SnapAV/Arkanis but I have not researched it enough to commit.

I just have about 6 IP reservations to transfer and other than that it should be a easy swap and I can sell the old gear and recoup most of my investment.

9 minutes ago, outmotoring said:

I see now that my mylink APP is on V6.4 but I am not sure if that means the MyLink is on the same version or not. But, what is strange is why would the app be on a 6.4 release and the mylink would be in the 5.xx range?

mylink app is 6.4 here to but as mentioned the firmware on the device does not match the firmware on the app.

make sure your MyLink is on 5.20 which you can see when you are in the app - assuming your MyLink is currently online.

if that still wont solve the issue (it did for me 100%) then just use 1 AP to create a new SSID and connect the MyLink to that SSID, make sure your other APs are not broadcasting the same SSID.  

• 2 months later...

I gave up on this back in mid September and am just now trying to get my head wrapped around this again. Now there's a 5.23 update so I am on 5.23 firmware and  6.6 mylink app version. Still getting flaky connections and sometimes only 1-2 of the 3 that are on a channel will react to a command. Surely there's got to be a better solution. I have 16/4 wired to each shade so maybe I just need to bail on this mylink garbage if it's constantly flaky. For example, about every 3rd time I open the app to control the shades it will say "MyLink Not found"....

Regarding taking one of Ubiquiti AP's and creating a new SSID- wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a series of AP's around the house to offer a stable wireless network? For example I have 3 AP's and the suggestion is to take one of them and create a new SSID such as "SOMFYAP" and that becomes the main connection point for the MyLink? Wouldn't that leave a 'gap' in my wireless network if I was left with just 2  aps? I don't mind buying another one just for Somfy if that is what it takes though.

I have 16 Somfy Shades around the house and I use the classical integration to C4, URTSII - Serial - HC250! $160 solution that works since day 1 with 0 issues at all, I also use a couple of RTS repeaters one in each floor.

Regarding taking one of Ubiquiti AP's and creating a new SSID- wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a series of AP's around the house to offer a stable wireless network? For example I have 3 AP's and the suggestion is to take one of them and create a new SSID such as "SOMFYAP" and that becomes the main connection point for the MyLink? Wouldn't that leave a 'gap' in my wireless network if I was left with just 2  aps? I don't mind buying another one just for Somfy if that is what it takes though.
Your APs can broadcast multiple ssids, so you could add an ssid to the one closest to the mylink and still keep the other (main ssid) that matches what the rest of the APs are broadcasting.

Another solution is to use a Bond Bridge along with the driver from chowmain to integrate the somfy shades into c4. Works well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, outmotoring said:

Ok- thanks for the great ideas so far. I will start with adding a 2nd SSID to the AP closest to the MyLink and if that doesn’t fix it try the Bond Bridge.

how much is the Chowmain driver to integrate the Bond?

you keep the firmware current on your AP's too?  Just out of curiosity....

and yes creating 1 SSID just for the mylink would likely work too, that is what I did pre 5.20 update.

8 hours ago, outmotoring said:

Ok- thanks for the great ideas so far. I will start with adding a 2nd SSID to the AP closest to the MyLink and if that doesn’t fix it try the Bond Bridge.

how much is the Chowmain driver to integrate the Bond?

$150, bonds are $99, referb $69 via Amazon. Just loose MyLink 🙂

On 11/15/2019 at 7:56 AM, Amr said:

$150, bonds are $99, referb $69 via Amazon. Just loose MyLink 🙂

Yep.  Our bond driver has quickly become the goto solution for Somfy RTS integration.  As Bond is wifi it can be installed anywhere where there is wifi signal.  It can control upto 30 RTS shades (along with other devices such as fans, fireplaces and more).  The RF signal in bond is stupidly strong but if for some reason your house is so big that you need multiple then it’s ok because these devices as mentioned are inexpensive.

Driver Information

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

Just ditched mylink and moved the somfy to my bond! Simple and works better

Yeah one of our staff did that for his home.  3 bedroom house with internal concrete walls.  A single Bond Bridge controls every blind in his house.  He ditched MyLink as well!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.