C4 Forums | Control4

Honeywell HSIM zones stopped updating

DLite

On Friday, my Honeywell Security Panel HSIM driver was updated to v114.  It worked fine for 2 days, but as of last night, the zone status stopped updating on C4.  The panel status (disarmed not ready, disarmed ready, and armed) still updates, and I am still able to arm the system programmatically and via the C4 Touchscreen.  

So far, I've restored a backup from when the zones were updating. I've rebooted the HSIM from the driver.  I've rebooted the EA-5 Director.  I've power cycled the EA-1 that the HSIM is connected to.  No luck with any of these steps.

Anyone have any ideas about what might be going on, or what I could do?  

Thanks very much.

After a lot of futzing around, I can finally replicate the issue.  

1. Baseline: Driver updates sensor status normally.

2. Arm the security system.

3. Disarm the security system.

4. After Arm/Disarm cycle, the driver stops updating sensor status, although it continues to properly update panel arm state and to properly arm the panel itself.

5. If I go into Honeywell TotalConnect and click on the "sensors" tab to refresh sensor status in TotalConnect, this mysteriously resolves the issue and the C4 driver begins to update sensors again.

As noted above, I also use the Honeywell TotalConnect remote access feature as well as C4 remote access. HSIM is supposed to be compatible with TotalConnect, and it worked fine with the old driver.  Is anybody else out there using a Honeywell Panel, TotalConnect, and the new driver successfully?  Hope I'm not alone with this weird behavior....

Thanks

I don’t know if this will be helpful for you but for what it’s worth: I have a Honeywell Vista 21iPLTE panel being integrated with my C4 system. This installation is happening later today so I can’t speak from practical experience. However, the 4232CBM card that I installed in the panel for the integration specifically says it cannot be used with Total Connect because only one RIS (Remote Information Service - I believe) can be used at one time.  I wonder if the stuff you’re experiencing may be a conflict between Total Connect and your 4232CBM if the panel can only support one or the other?  

What I don’t understand is that you say the old driver worked using both Total Connect and C4. I’m not questioning that this is true but it is surprising given the documentation for the 4232CBM says you can only use one or the other - I don’t know how the driver could over come that limitation but that’s far beyond my technical understanding. When you refer to the old driver was this a different version of the HSIM driver or something totally different?

4 hours ago, Dueport said:

I don’t know if this will be helpful for you but for what it’s worth: I have a Honeywell Vista 21iPLTE panel being integrated with my C4 system. This installation is happening later today so I can’t speak from practical experience. However, the 4232CBM card that I installed in the panel for the integration specifically says it cannot be used with Total Connect because only one RIS (Remote Information Service - I believe) can be used at one time.  I wonder if the stuff you’re experiencing may be a conflict between Total Connect and your 4232CBM if the panel can only support one or the other?  

What I don’t understand is that you say the old driver worked using both Total Connect and C4. I’m not questioning that this is true but it is surprising given the documentation for the 4232CBM says you can only use one or the other - I don’t know how the driver could over come that limitation but that’s far beyond my technical understanding. When you refer to the old driver was this a different version of the HSIM driver or something totally different?

As Mitch alluded to, the 4232 has this limitation, but HSIM is compatible with TotalConnect. It worked perfectly fine for a long time using the old version of the HSIM driver software.  Since the last C4 OS update, the old driver became less stable in the sense that it would lose communication with the HSIM every few weeks.  And, to be clear, the new HSIM driver and TotalConnect both coexist peacefully until an arm/disarm cycle takes place.  

5 hours ago, msgreenf said:

HSIM is not a RIS - it's a keypad emulation.  It's not a CBM

This is interesting - I wasn't aware of the HSIM option over the CBM.  Just curious, what are the use cases and benefits of using one over the other (aside from Total Connect being able to be used in parallel)?

1 hour ago, DLite said:

As Mitch alluded to, the 4232 has this limitation, but HSIM is compatible with TotalConnect. It worked perfectly fine for a long time using the old version of the HSIM driver software.  Since the last C4 OS update, the old driver became less stable in the sense that it would lose communication with the HSIM every few weeks.  And, to be clear, the new HSIM driver and TotalConnect both coexist peacefully until an arm/disarm cycle takes place.  

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful - stating what is probably the obvious then, it sounds like it must be an issue with the driver itself with the latest C4 OS update?  Can you or your dealer reach out to the driver author to alert them to the bug?  Can't imagine you're the only one experiencing this problem.  I'll let you know if I have any issues with my CBM integration but since that uses a different driver it may not be that helpful....

1 minute ago, Dueport said:

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful - stating what is probably the obvious then, it sounds like it must be an issue with the driver itself with the latest C4 OS update?  Can you or your dealer reach out to the driver author to alert them to the bug?  Can't imagine you're the only one experiencing this problem.  I'll let you know if I have any issues with my CBM integration but since that uses a different driver it may not be that helpful....

Yes, please let me know how that goes.  It's always good to understand other integration options.

I thought HSIM module was dead in the water?  I use it in my Vista 20 panel. I haven’t upgraded to 3.x yet because I thought the HSIM wasn’t supported any longer. It sounds like someone is doing work to (hopefully) allow integration?  Although the above scenario is exactly why I haven’t asked my dealer to attempt this. 
Jeff

HSIM driver was updated to the new 'panel' proxy before 3.0 came out - no new requirements were added as such since 2.8.

That said, a replacement/updated driver came out...a month or so ago, maybe 2? It would be the 114 mentioned by OP There should be two versions - one for Honeywell, one for DSC.

As for OP, is it possible the DSC driver was accidentally installed instead of the honey one?

7 hours ago, Cyknight said:

HSIM driver was updated to the new 'panel' proxy before 3.0 came out - no new requirements were added as such since 2.8.

That said, a replacement/updated driver came out...a month or so ago, maybe 2? It would be the 114 mentioned by OP There should be two versions - one for Honeywell, one for DSC.

As for OP, is it possible the DSC driver was accidentally installed instead of the honey one?

Yes, that's exactly right -- this was the new driver from a month ago.  

I think I may have figured out the mistake with the new driver.  Previously, the old driver was set to keypad address 13.  We configured the new driver the same way, and at first glance, it appeared to stick at 13 after the "set" command.  However, the driver actually reverted back to the default of 18, because the new version only supports addresses from 17 to 23.  I've now asked our alarm company to create a new reservation between 17 and 23 for the new driver to use, and we'll soon see if that fixes the problem.  (My hunch is that 18 was already reserved for the TotalConnect module, which would explain why the driver sort of works, but with weirdness.)

• 5 months later...

In case anyone else was ever experiencing this problem, I wanted to share an update and resolution.  

This turned out to be a bug in the new HSIM driver that affected those of us who use Honeywell TotalConnect alongside Control4.  My dealer reported the details to Control4 back in January, and I'm happy to report that the latest version of the driver fixes the issue.  Yay, Control4!

• 10 months later...

Sorry for reviving this old thread but I am having the same issue that was described above. The issue only started happening about 2 weeks ago. I do not use Honeywell total connect. Does anyone have a recommendation as to what my problem might be? I have already gone through the process of rebooting director, unplugging my HSIM, and my driver is up to date. I can arm and disarm the alarm, but my zone status is not updating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

4 hours ago, Rob21 said:

Sorry for reviving this old thread but I am having the same issue that was described above. The issue only started happening about 2 weeks ago. I do not use Honeywell total connect. Does anyone have a recommendation as to what my problem might be? I have already gone through the process of rebooting director, unplugging my HSIM, and my driver is up to date. I can arm and disarm the alarm, but my zone status is not updating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I experience this scenario from time to time.  Here is one trick that seems to reliably sort out the problem for me; I have no idea why it works.

Go into driver properties, and increase the number of zones by 1.  Then click set.  Once the new zone total is accepted, decrease it back to the right number and click set again.  Now check if your zones are updating.  Maybe my black magic will work for you too.

5 hours ago, DLite said:

I experience this scenario from time to time.  Here is one trick that seems to reliably sort out the problem for me; I have no idea why it works.

Go into driver properties, and increase the number of zones by 1.  Then click set.  Once the new zone total is accepted, decrease it back to the right number and click set again.  Now check if your zones are updating.  Maybe my black magic will work for you too.

Thank you for your response! I am going to try to get the bug patched before I try your way because I figured it would be better for everyone to get it fixed permanently. I will update you in the future. Thanks.

9 hours ago, Rob21 said:

Thank you for your response! I am going to try to get the bug patched before I try your way because I figured it would be better for everyone to get it fixed permanently. I will update you in the future. Thanks.

BTW, it turns out my zones stopped updating too, but I hadn't noticed until your post caused me to check last night.  My magic trick got it working right again, but it would be great if the underlying problem were solved.

1 hour ago, DLite said:

BTW, it turns out my zones stopped updating too, but I hadn't noticed until your post caused me to check last night.  My magic trick got it working right again, but it would be great if the underlying problem were solved.

I had the exact same thing, and your trick does work. But if I reboot the controller the zones stop updating again. Let's hope for a fix! 

1 hour ago, pherward said:

I had the exact same thing, and your trick does work. But if I reboot the controller the zones stop updating again. Let's hope for a fix! 

Yeah, just to be clear, I do this after every controller reboot.  Sorry, I should have clarified that.  And, I also hope there is a better fix.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/5/2022 at 10:55 AM, Rob21 said:

My dealer has given all the above details to C4 support. They are fully aware of the issue and working on a driver update to fix it. Thank you all for your input.

I saw that there is a new version of the Honeywell HSIM driver out (v124).  I haven't gotten my dealer out to install it yet.  Does anyone know if this version fixes the controller reboot issue?

1 hour ago, DLite said:

I saw that there is a new version of the Honeywell HSIM driver out (v124).  I haven't gotten my dealer out to install it yet.  Does anyone know if this version fixes the controller reboot issue?

I’m not home to check but I hope so! I’ll be sure to post with any info I get.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.