C4 Forums | Control4

Large Network switches

rf9000

All,

I’m looking to purchase a network switch(es) and was looking to get your input on brand and model. This is a residential install. For POE, there are about 30 motorized blinds that are all POE and need to be part of the network, 10 touch screens, 9 security cameras, 5-6 access points, 14 in ceiling echo Dot 3 devices that will be powered over POE, etc. I think that is pretty much it but could be a few other things. So I need a lot of POE ports. Of course the blinds would never be activated all at once so if I used a switch or switches that had shard power between ports where it was needed, that would work. Also, the Dots, really don’t need to be on the network so those could have just a stand alone POE power source. I have been recommended to use Luxul but don’t know what model or models I would need. I’m open to any suggestions. Please help 

That many PoE switches are going to be expensive

https://shop.poetexas.com/pages/search-results-page?q=poe+injector

Get some injectors aka midspan.  I have a 16 port one from these guys and its rock solid.  For that many devices you can get a few of these, takes up a few more spaces in your rack(s) but will be a major cost savings and gives you flexibility on switches and not being tied to PoE Switches.

Exactly. You need a couple 24-port midspan PoE injectors for the blinds & Dots (assuming the blinds are only using PoE for power & not control). PoE Texas is what I would recommend as well. We’re about to install 50-60 PoE Powershades in one of our systems & that’s what we’ll be using.

5 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Thos POETexas seem way more cost effective than buying full on POE switches, even from more modestly priced brands like brands like Unifi.  Wonder why that is?

A 24 / 48 Port Unifi POE switch is $379 / $589...  Not sure a non POE switch plus a POE Texas injector is that different in cost?    I guess there is always some premium on everything tidy in one box ....

2 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

A 24 / 48 Port Unifi POE switch is $379 / $589...  Not sure a non POE switch plus a POE Texas injector is that different in cost?    I guess there is always some premium on everything tidy in one box ....

Is that 48 port PoE on every port? Max total power output similar?

also c4 does suggest non managed switches.  So a dumb switch plus Midspan is cheaper for sure 

3 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

I think you are using the USW-48-POE which don't seem to be available anymore.  For their 48 port pro models the non POE switches are $599 and the POE are $1099.

1 minute ago, zaphod said:

I think you are using the USW-48-POE which don't seem to be available anymore.  For their 48 port pro models the non POE switches are $599 and the POE are $1099.

It's the non-pro version which is not needed in this application.   It's the Gen2 switch and still available.... Can buy it on Ui.com now.

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/usw-48-poe

1 hour ago, cshepard said:

Exactly. You need a couple 24-port midspan PoE injectors for the blinds & Dots (assuming the blinds are only using PoE for power & not control). PoE Texas is what I would recommend as well. We’re about to install 50-60 PoE Powershades in one of our systems & that’s what we’ll be using.

But don’t the Powershades need to be on the network?

Thanks, but many of the replies always say to use these general items but no model numbers are given. What about something like the Luxul AMS-44-24P? A couple of those? Nobody really said anything about Luxul, is Luxul not recommended?

1 hour ago, ejn1 said:

It's the non-pro version which is not needed in this application.   It's the Gen2 switch and still available.... Can buy it on Ui.com now.

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/usw-48-poe

Unifi is/was on the do not use list. Another 3 page current thread with someone who is having issues 

if you are looking at a system the size of the OP and the dealer is mentioning Luxul - then that is why I suggested the Midspan. Can still use Luxul switches so dealer has their comfort zone but can maybe save a few bux

i don’t recommend any models to the OP because I don’t know the Luxul line.  The Texas PoE company has great support - email them all the devices and they will send you what you need to power it all.  Then as mentioned use any switch.  The Midspan has an “in and out” port per channel/device 

36 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Unifi is/was on the do not use list. Another 3 page current thread with someone who is having issues 

if you are looking at a system the size of the OP and the dealer is mentioning Luxul - then that is why I suggested the Midspan. Can still use Luxul switches so dealer has their comfort zone but can maybe save a few bux

i don’t recommend any models to the OP because I don’t know the Luxul line.  The Texas PoE company has great support - email them all the devices and they will send you what you need to power it all.  Then as mentioned use any switch.  The Midspan has an “in and out” port per channel/device 

I won't open the can of worms of the do not use list :)  I was just mentioning it's not necessarily so much cheaper to go regular switch plus midspan if you have to buy new as there are some good value prosumer POE switches out there.  With the injector,  you will have an extra cable for each plus another power supply which also may be a consideration for some.   Agree, the Texas PoE company is a solid company from everything I've seen.   Some good choices for the OP.

2 hours ago, ejn1 said:

You're right.  But for some reason this switch doesn't seem to appear on the Canadian Unifi store, nor on Amazon.ca, nor on Amazon.com(US), nor on some Canadian resellers of Unifi equipment.  Unless I am missing something. But I may just get the non-POE 48 port switch and then one of these midspans.

31 minutes ago, zaphod said:

You're right.  But for some reason this switch doesn't seem to appear on the Canadian Unifi store, nor on Amazon.ca, nor on Amazon.com(US), nor on some Canadian resellers of Unifi equipment.  Unless I am missing something. But I may just get the non-POE 48 port switch and then one of these midspans.

I think ever since Unifi stepped up their own online store capabilities and also started offering free 2-day shipping, the amount of Unifi gear on Amazon decreased substantially and a lot of the stuff that is on Amazon is more expensive than from Unifi direct.   One nice thing in having the POE in the switch is that you can cycle power on any POE device remotely.   Some devices this is not important but could be a nice benefit with other devices.

16 hours ago, rf9000 said:

But don’t the Powershades need to be on the network?

No. The Powershades are PoE power only. Control is via hardwired relays. Both are carried over one network cable which breaks out into RJ-45 & three wire leads (up, down, common) for the up/down relays. They do not have network communication.

EDIT: PoE Powershades DO have the capability of IP control; there is also an option for PoE power only and hardwired relays for control. In addition they offer battery power and hardwired LV power with RF control. Sorry for the confusion.

3 hours ago, zaphod said:

Thos POETexas seem way more cost effective than buying full on POE switches, even from more modestly priced brands like brands like Unifi.  Wonder why that is?

You are comparing apples to oranges. A midspan PoE injector has no network switching capability. It literally just injects power onto an Ethernet cable (or multiple Ethernet cables in this case). For the OP’s use, he wouldn’t have anything connected to the “LAN” inputs on the injector...only his Dots & shades (assuming they’re only PoE for power) would be connected to the “LAN+PoE” outputs of the injector.

2 hours ago, eggzlot said:

UniFi is not on the Do Not Use list. C4 Gold dealer here, and we use UniFi exclusively for all our network gear. We have well over 100 C4 systems running on UniFi, and we don’t have network related issues.

16 hours ago, ejn1 said:

For the OP’s scenario you don’t need network switching for these devices (at least the Dots)...only PoE power....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.