C4 Forums | Control4

volume with HVAC fan on? (Solved)

gogogadget

5 hours ago, mstafford388 said:

When fan state changes -> if fan mode is on -> increase volume

When fan state changes -> if fan mode is off -> decrease volume

I see the when fan mode changes option, but where do I select if fan mode is on?

My apologies for the obvious questions. Funny enough Im familiar with Lua but new to HE.

Here is what I have so far. Theoretically it should work, but it doesn't. When I hit execute it only goes down because that is what the variable is set to. My issue is that the fan state changes physically, but doesn't seems to be changing in this variable. I'm using the newest Control4 HVAC so it should know what is going on... 

Idk, thoughts?

VolumewithAC.JPG

Variable.JPG

I would do the volume pulsing at the room level vs the device level (for volume feedback depending on the device) but theoretically both should work for actual control.  I've never actually tried programming off of reading the state of an HVAC fan so it may not actually work.  What thermostat do you have?

Use a capital “O” in “On” in your first if statement…

I agree with @mstafford388that it would be better to do the volume change at room level,  and personally, I would use the current volume parameter and change this by +10 or -10 instead of 10 pulse commands.  But all this really does is neaten up the programming, marginally speed up the execution and reduce the risk of conflicting commands (this execution and, say a remote being used at the same time)

1 hour ago, gogogadget said:

My issue is that the fan state changes physically, but doesn't seem to be changing in this variable (fan state). I'm using the newest Control4 HVAC so it should know what is going on... 

Go to the agents tab and then variables and you should be able to see what that variable is set to to make sure your manipulating it properly

Better yet, go to agents-variables, create your own variable called Fan state and set it as Boolean.

Then in programming, when fan is on, set variable fan state= true 

Then another for when is off, set fan state= false.

Then go to your variable and put your programming on when your variable is true, do x

When it is false, do x. 

pretty sure they haven’t removed that functionality. 

6 hours ago, gogogadget said:

My issue is that the fan state changes physically, but doesn't seem to be changing in this variable (fan state). I'm using the newest Control4 HVAC so it should know what is going on... 

15 hours ago, gogogadget said:

Tried "On" and it still doesnt work in practice. It does work on execute for when the fan is off for vol down and up for when the fan in on.

I am struggling to make sense of the above 2 comments,  The second one seems to imply that the state is changing but the first implies that is is not?  

If the state is not changing then the driver is not going to allow you to do this using the Fan State variable and you will need to try an alternative as highlighted above.  If the state does change then the code should be executing and something else must be wrong…

Hi South Africa, grateful for your response. The variable changes, but only when I select on not auto for the fan at the theromostat.

When I press execute in the upper right, of the programming screen in HE. during testing it works. 

It doesnt work in practice because Im assuming the variable doesnt change. Any way to log just that variable?

5 hours ago, lippavisual said:

No where in this thread did you mention setting the Fan state to Auto.  There’s your problem.  When set to auto, all logic is thrown out the window. 

I have never programmed against fan state changing or fan mode changing but I would have expected it to work like HVAC state and mode.  If HVAC mode is auto then, I think HVAC state changes between cool, heat and off based on temperature relative to the set points so one can still program against HVAC state changing when HVAC mode is set to auto?

On 8/20/2021 at 5:00 PM, C4 User said:

For what it is worth, I would invest in a new HVAC system if I could hear my fan running  during normal temperature or humidity control.

Yeah. I dont disagree, its located right in our living space in a column between the kitchen and greatroom, but moving it to the attic is something I cant afford at the moment. 

Ill keep poking around variables, if nothing works ill just wire in a relay

• gogogadget changed the title to volume with HVAC fan on? (Solved)

Two suggestions:

1. I would use a 5 second timer (maybe) and a 46 second timer (definitely) instead of delays so that you don’t end up with some popcorn effects (and potentially lost commands) if the state changes back and forwards regularly.

2. I would use the current_volume variable instead of the pulse command (but not really important).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.