C4 Forums | Control4

C4 with Sonicwall

Hi 

Please excuse me if I have posted this question in the wrong place. Can anyone help me with remote access after the implementation of a sonicwall TZ205 as my default gateway. I previously was using a Netgear dgn3700 router, that did not require any port forwarding to enable offsite (4sight) access into my system. Since the installation of the sonicwall, I cannot get remote access (error message 403.22 appears). I also cannot get any online services from the Control4, nor can I check in. I think there is a setting on the sonicwall that is denying this traffic. Is anyone familiar with a sonicwall setup with C4? Any help would be much appreciated!

Hello,

I've (recently) lived the SIP problem with my router impacting remote access.  Once I got SIP disabled, the controller still had to be re-registered by the dealer before remote access worked.

I can't say that's your problem, but it was a step I needed to do to fix my (likely, similar) problem.

-V

Disabling SIP ALG won't help if the controller has no access to Internet services. This will need to be rectified first before testing remote access.

Since we have 4 Sonicwalls I am sure someone has configured a setting that prohibits WAN use as I know for a fact that default config does not prohibit C4 use.

I would start:

1a) To make troubleshooting easier start disabling access control via  CFS ->exlucde IP range -> set IP of HC

1b) Also in CFS page check that "user authentication required /consent requiered" is NOT set  - as the C4 HC cannot type in a user account and pwd - :)

1c) In CFS check that default CFS rule (or if another is used) has not checked "all catagories"

2) Also check firewall Access rules if the pre-configured routes are setup for the subnet AND if there are any restrictions someone might have put in

3) If you have multiple WANs there might be a route to specific WAN port - check that Internet is working on that port.

that is all I can thin of for now....

Thanks All for the suggestions. @C4 Guru, My Sonicwall is not licensed for Content Filtering. My assumption would be that this function is therefore disabled by default? I have triple checked the firewall rules and can confirm that the LAN -> WAN has been specifically allowed for the Control4 IP address. Thanks for all the suggestions - will keep hammering away at it... :-(

If you think its the Sonicwall, get their support on the phone to help you review the configuration.

See Vahn's post above.  Have you asked your dealer to reregister the director after ajusting your SIP settings?

Good luck!

Do a factory reset, if it does not work then look at the logs and call support although I am quite sure if it wont work with factory defaults it likely mit the sonicwall.

Bzw: which OS is the SW running?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All. I am sorry for the late reply. I have solved my issue with this - just thought I would post my resolution. It seems that my sonicwall was not handling statically assigned IP devices. I simulated the error by assigning a static IP to my PC, using the sonicwall as the DNS server. I lost internet connection immediately. I am not a network guru, but my understanding is that the sonicwall was not assigning my ISP IP addresses when a statically assigned device point to the sonicwall for DNS lookup. My dealer  changed my c4 devices to use DHCP. Problem solved immediately. Thanks for all the help! 

Glad to hear you were able to solve your issues.

When my C4 systems was installed many years ago, my dealer set most of my devices to static ip's.  This caused numerous device communication issues over the years, especially when my internet provider changed DNS's.

I have lots of devices in my system that require static ip's (in fact, most of my C4 devices are assigned static ip's).  Based on my own experience with sonicwall, I would recommend that you assign static IP's in the sonicwall configuration itself and ensure all network devices are set to DHCP as you stated above.  In order to do this, you will need to know your device MacID's, but once configured, it really provides for a stable home network environment.

Of course, IT pros may handle this with difference tools, but for the non-IT home network manager, this has proven to be very effective.

Hi All. I am sorry for the late reply. I have solved my issue with this - just thought I would post my resolution. It seems that my sonicwall was not handling statically assigned IP devices. I simulated the error by assigning a static IP to my PC, using the sonicwall as the DNS server. I lost internet connection immediately. I am not a network guru, but my understanding is that the sonicwall was not assigning my ISP IP addresses when a statically assigned device point to the sonicwall for DNS lookup. My dealer changed my c4 devices to use DHCP. Problem solved immediately. Thanks for all the help!

Good that you solved the issue!

However that is really strange. We use static IP addresses a lot on all sonicwalls - some set totally static in the device and some get static ip's via dhcp - and never had such an issue...

Archived