C4 Forums | Control4

PSA: All FireTV's using the Control4 Driver are about to break

msgreenf

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mallom said:

Cool. But it kinda sucks that you have to buy extra hardware to make it work. Does the app works without the IRUSB piece? Not sure.. I dont think so.
Its a great solution for those who really need it working now... but still... why cant an android app provide communication to a C4 driver?

The IRUSB device and app work in conjunction with each other.  The app receives the command from the driver and sends it to the IRUSB hardware.  The hardware then uses USB-HID to send the keypress to the android device.  Its actually quite a smart way of getting around the problem.

Currently there are no stand alone apps that allow for keypresses as Android 5 broke this (Android 4 allowed you to do keypresses direct from an app).

ADB also allows you to do this but as mentioned this has broken in recent releases (not only for Control4 but every automation system).

Hope that helps.

25 minutes ago, alanchow said:

The IRUSB device and app work in conjunction with each other.  The app receives the command from the driver and sends it to the IRUSB hardware.  The hardware then uses USB-HID to send the keypress to the android device.  Its actually quite a smart way of getting around the problem.

Currently there are no stand alone apps that allow for keypresses as Android 5 broke this (Android 4 allowed you to do keypresses direct from an app).

ADB also allows you to do this but as mentioned this has broken in recent releases (not only for Control4 but every automation system).

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info Alan! :)

Since Alan has popped by, is there no way to utilise your amazing brain to write a driver? Is there no chance of a weird way around via writing an app for the Fire TV that can then open communication with C4?

This is really going to destroy the already flimsy wife acceptance factor for my Control4 and I'm sure I'm not alone there 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, timbooo said:

Since Alan has popped by, is there no way to utilise your amazing brain to write a driver? Is there no chance of a weird way around via writing an app for the Fire TV that can then open communication with C4?

This is really going to destroy the already flimsy wife acceptance factor for my Control4 and I'm sure I'm not alone there 😂😂😂

there is a $39 device that will solve the problem.  And prior to this problem, most people said the $39 device was a better experience anyways instead of the C4 driver.  Your WAF may increase with the $39 unit for what its worth.

1 minute ago, eggzlot said:

there is a $39 device that will solve the problem.  And prior to this problem, most people said the $39 device was a better experience anyways instead of the C4 driver.  Your WAF may increase with the $39 unit for what its worth.

it's really a $49 device once you pay for shipping

52 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

it's really a $49 device once you pay for shipping

true

that said $49 in the grand scheme of a C4 set up...I always thought the shipping costs were expensive which is why I just stuck to the native C4 driver and dealt with it sometimes dropping off line and not waking up.  now if I have to pay the $49 I'll do it.

50 minutes ago, timbooo said:

Or, if you live in the UK, an $89 device.

2z5loua.png

😂

It must be really really heavy.

call them up - work out a deal to buy in bulk, shipping estimate i bet will barely budge.  then resell them locally and become a distributor in the UK via this forum, ebay, etc.  

true
that said $49 in the grand scheme of a C4 set up...I always thought the shipping costs were expensive which is why I just stuck to the native C4 driver and dealt with it sometimes dropping off line and not waking up.  now if I have to pay the $49 I'll do it.

Don’t bother. You can buy a decent Roku for near that amount...

1 hour ago, BPFUNK said:

Don’t bother. You can buy a decent Roku for near that amount...

well I have my Kodi set up with my library for music and movies and tv shows, etc and I am happy with the AFT interface.  I also like that my AFT is hard wired and a Roku that is hard wired is $100.  So cheaper to buy the dongle and just move on.  So thanks for the blunt recommendation but does not really suit my usage.   YMMV

1 minute ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Can not believe that C4 have not sort a driver out for this - look at who they have employed. 

Its a issue which needs sorting fast 

IKR if he can't get the launch codes then who can eh..? It would have been a super good idea to pump out an exclusive C4 driver before Amazon broke everyone else's control.

12 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Did they break the driver - Because of Him ?

Lol no I don't think so, they locked up the ADB stuff presumably for security of some sort. It's broken on Crestron, RTI, everywhere else too. Except of course Logitech Harmony, the cheapest option which so often seems to work where others don't 😂

If C4 could create a Bluetooth module or something perhaps that would open up some options.

Annoyingly the Fire TV obviously can be controlled over IP "proper" because there's a remote control app. But apparently they won't let anyone have the API?

Archived