C4 Forums | Control4

Coming VERY Soon - Control4/Nest Thermostat Driver

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chesterwilson..... then dont get the driver.. it seems simple. If i didnt already have a C4 t stat in good working order, id probably pick up the nest and their driver.

I'm not following. A driver is required to get the Nest info into C4. If a user updates the Nest firmware such that it may invalidate the HL driver, one would def. need the new driver to keep on rolling.

Chesters got a point here. Who is going to do this and at what cost. It all needs to be factored into a decision.

Chesterwilson..... then dont get the driver.. it seems simple. If i didnt already have a C4 t stat in good working order' date=' id probably pick up the nest and their driver.[/quote']

I'm not following. A driver is required to get the Nest info into C4. If a user updates the Nest firmware such that it may invalidate the HL driver, one would def. need the new driver to keep on rolling.

Chesters got a point here. Who is going to do this and at what cost. It all needs to be factored into a decision.

That is EXACTLY what pushed me over the top on this. If NEST updates their firmware and radically changes their protocol (not unlikely considering they're being sued by Honeywell, a major player in this industry) how long is it going to take HomeLogix to product a new driver? How many phones call is it going to take to get the driver? How long will the downtime be (no integration)? How much will it cost to remove and replace the driver once it's available?

All of that for a thermostat that looks a little cooler on the wall? No thanks...

I think you're right on this Dan. See how it goes when you remote those. Get an HVAC guy in there if you have to, to show you where to place the sensor (he's got the anemometer thingy to check flow patterns in the dwelling).

I think the whole point of getting the Nest t-stat is for the looks alone. We have all the features we need but the C4 t-stat looks like garbage. HouseLogix is my dealer and I was told that the Nest t-stat will be backward-compatible for a reasonable time after firmware release. This seems to make sense unless firmware updates are automatic and always required.

None of us upgrade firmware without checking on C4 compatibility anyway. Just like the C4 iPhone app update that breaks on 1.8.x. Dune releases firmware/OS updates and we don't always update this (this may change with them taking over the C4 driver now).

I'll post any answers I get from HouseLogix.

I think the whole point of getting the Nest t-stat is for the looks alone. We have all the features we need but the C4 t-stat looks like garbage. HouseLogix is my dealer and I was told that the Nest t-stat will be backward-compatible for a reasonable time after firmware release. This seems to make sense unless firmware updates are automatic and always required.

None of us upgrade firmware without checking on C4 compatibility anyway. Just like the C4 iPhone app update that breaks on 1.8.x. Dune releases firmware/OS updates and we don't always update this (this may change with them taking over the C4 driver now).

I'll post any answers I get from HouseLogix.

For all you know the NEST updates the firmware automatically.

Backwards compatible? How can HouseLogix guarantee compatibility on unreleased firmware, when he's reverse engineered this thing and has no published information from the company making the product/writing the firmware?

If they feel they have an opportunity to profit in this space by selling drivers, API's, SDK's, whatever...they'll knock it offline purely for that purpose alone. Going rogue with unsupported stuff is fun and all, when it isn't something critical like your Thermostat and when there isn't a less expensive, perfectly viable alternative.

Chesterwilson..... then dont get the driver.. it seems simple. If i didnt already have a C4 t stat in good working order, id probably pick up the nest and their driver.

+1

and still no response on if this will work with 1.7 ???

I have read a little on the internet about this device and I will say that it seems like you have no say in whether you want an update or not. I'm only going on what I read. Perhaps actual users can clear this up.

And, even if this is wrong, the Zigbee is inactive & surely will come online and when it does, you will beg for that upgrade.

this is pure speculation.

It would be product suicide to release a firmware update that totally breaks functionality of say.... someones nest iphone app that couldn't upgrade the app on their phone in time.

The extra vegetables airport/itunes driver was reverse engineered and it works great. Also it has been updated as apple has changed things. I don't see this driver being any different from that.

It would be product suicide to release a firmware update that totally breaks functionality of say.... someones nest iphone app that couldn't upgrade the app on their phone in time.

I agree. I find no reason that this device/driver combo would be much more fragile than many other devices (i.e. any others who do not publish a public protocol).

RyanE

The only thing I'm saying is when NEST updates, you will need to go one more step and update the EV driver (call a dealer and blah blah blah). If that isn't the case, then fine, forget it. With Control4, unless there is a major hardware change (and it's always been for the better), any OS update folds all current hardware into that rev.

I'm not saying it's fragile or a flimsy premise behind any of this. I'm just pro-Control4.

1) not EV, but yeah, your point is correct anyway.

2) you may or may not need to update the driver on a Nest change. There's no way to know up-front.

3) I'm pro-Control4 as well :) , but anti-FUD. Saying that Nest *will* make firmware updates that *will* render the driver incompatible is nothing but FUD.

RyanE

The only thing I'm saying is when NEST updates, you will need to go one more step and update the EV driver (call a dealer and blah blah blah). If that isn't the case, then fine, forget it. With Control4, unless there is a major hardware change (and it's always been for the better), any OS update folds all current hardware into that rev.

I'm not saying it's fragile or a flimsy premise behind any of this. I'm just pro-Control4.

1 - This is correct, when HouseLogix releases a updated Nest Driver, a dealer will need to update the driver. Just like anyother driver on the market.

1) not EV, but yeah, your point is correct anyway.

2) you may or may not need to update the driver on a Nest change. There's no way to know up-front.

3) I'm pro-Control4 as well :) , but anti-FUD. Saying that Nest *will* make firmware updates that *will* render the driver incompatible is nothing but FUD.

RyanE

Could not have said it better myself! Thanks!

We did some testing and unfortunately the Control4/Nest Driver does not work with 1.7.x or 1.8.x.

As of this time, we will not be releasing Nest drivers for Control4 legacy software version. We find there is a demand, we will certainly revisit.

Thanks for asking!

I've confirmed from my colleague who has a Nest t-stat (as well as on Nest's website) that firmware updates are automatic, assuming that the Nest is on WiFi and connected to the internet. That said, it is definitely not worth the possible trouble to get the t-stat installed.

I learnt that Nest uses some sensors to determine when a room is occupied. Considering that I only enter out dining room maybe once a week or two, it will be way off.

AC

I've confirmed from my colleague who has a Nest t-stat (as well as on Nest's website) that firmware updates are automatic, assuming that the Nest is on WiFi and connected to the internet. That said, it is definitely not worth the possible trouble to get the t-stat installed.

I learnt that Nest uses some sensors to determine when a room is occupied. Considering that I only enter out dining room maybe once a week or two, it will be way off.

AC

I figured the auto updates where taking place- lame. I agree with you on the motion sensor too. Typically, stats are placed where the cold return air is heading. This is a high-flow area and, in newer construction (or where the HVAC guy is on the ball) those ugly-ass returns are near a stairwell/lower point and typically out of the way.

But,we can't single-out Nest on this, many stats now have this feature but then again, those are in HOTELS, yeah, not your house. Gimmick.

We did some testing and unfortunately the Control4/Nest Driver does not work with 1.7.x or 1.8.x.

As of this time, we will not be releasing Nest drivers for Control4 legacy software version. We find there is a demand, we will certainly revisit.

Thanks for asking!

That's really too bad! The idea of a C4 driver "coming VERY soon" for Nest is actually what sealed my purchase. Regarding demand, it does make me wonder what percentage of C4's user base is "legacy"?

Archived