C4 Forums | Control4

Coming VERY Soon - Control4/Nest Thermostat Driver

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We did some testing and unfortunately the Control4/Nest Driver does not work with 1.7.x or 1.8.x.

As of this time' date=' we will not be releasing Nest drivers for Control4 legacy software version. We find there is a demand, we will certainly revisit.

Thanks for asking![/quote']

That's really too bad! The idea of a C4 driver "coming VERY soon" for Nest is actually what sealed my purchase. Regarding demand, it does make me wonder what percentage of C4's user base is "legacy"?

+1

Our company policy is that we will not be releasing retail pricing guidance for our dealers. Our goal is to provide useful Control4 drivers to the dealers that design, install, and support Control4 systems. Only these dealers understand their local market and clientele thus proving to be the best organization to establish retail pricing.

If anyone has any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Our company policy is that we will not be releasing retail pricing guidance for our dealers. Our goal is to provide useful Control4 drivers to the dealers that design, install, and support Control4 systems. Only these dealers understand their local market and clientele thus proving to be the best organization to establish retail pricing.

If anyone has any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

That's too bad. No offense, but I read that as a way to gouge consumers. JMHO.

Our company policy is that we will not be releasing retail pricing guidance for our dealers. Our goal is to provide useful Control4 drivers to the dealers that design' date=' install, and support Control4 systems. Only these dealers understand their local market and clientele thus proving to be the best organization to establish retail pricing.

If anyone has any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.[/quote']

That's too bad. No offense, but I read that as a way to gouge consumers. JMHO.

chesterwilson, No offense taken. There is more than enough room here for differing viewpoints.

^That's a good post James. With all that surrounds this new product, for you to offer to plow through the details is nice. I like the C4 stat but being a tech whore, I'd want to try this is well, just try it.

I do have to admit that the Nest thermostat does LOOK cool. Honestly though, with the "logic" that is built in, I'd be a bit nervous about it "learning" things and making changes I don't want it to make.

I just all C4 stats...I'll stick with them for a while (unless they don't work as planned).

Honestly, the only thing I don't find workable on the C4 stats is the deadband. 0.5 degF can play havoc on programming as well. Either allow 0.5 res in Composer or don't. When you're counting pennies, that makes a difference in runtime.

Honestly, the only thing I don't find workable on the C4 stats is the deadband. 0.5 degF can play havoc on programming as well. Either allow 0.5 res in Composer or don't. When you're counting pennies, that makes a difference in runtime.

Can you elaborate?

I find that that the "control" deadband is +/- 1 degF. this allows the system to exceed your setpoint by one degree. That's big money on a huge zone. I don't like that. I want 0.5 deg resolution out of that stat and my programming, just like I had with my crappy brand X beforehand. I don't mind the system short-cycling because it won't- I have a tight house.

I find that that the "control" deadband is +/- 1 degF. this allows the system to exceed your setpoint by one degree. That's big money on a huge zone. I don't like that. I want 0.5 deg resolution out of that stat and my programming, just like I had with my crappy brand X beforehand. I don't mind the system short-cycling because it won't- I have a tight house.

I see what you're saying. So, if you have it set to cool at 72, it will cool the house down to 71 before it shuts off, instead of cooling to 72? You want it to cool to 71.5, not 71. Am I following you right?

Well, actually, I live on the ocean so no need for A/C. Heating is where I'm seeing a little more overshoot than I hoped for. Even with a deadband of 0 degF (according to Composer) this is not achievable. I am using outboard programming and CA relays to talk back to the stat. It is more critical that I can discern between 0.5 and 1 degF since my programming is not perfect.

Also, the shear nature of both of those Zigbee devices does not play well with what I am trying to do. Check-in is a little too infrequent for fine control of climate. I guess I'm splitting hairs here but having full-latitude control would help me to overcome some of my ignorance.

I value the radio in the Control4 stat more than I do the glitz of the Nest. Bottom-line here.

I installed one of them tonight, and I have to say Nice job HouseLogix. Everything went so smooth.. I have to say smoother than the C4 Thermostats in a lot of cases. No messing with under and overshoots etc.. The customer is very impressed with it and they look damn cool. We are playing with some programming and will see how the learning feature of it reacts.

But hell of a nice job..

Bryan Jefferson

^That's what I'm talking about here. The PID and/or thermistor in the C4 device needs to be reworked. So I've gotten around that with a rudimentary set of logic and an external probe.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived