C4 Forums | Control4

Coming VERY Soon - Control4/Nest Thermostat Driver

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. How much?

2. Where do I get it from?

3. Is the thermostat screen brought up the same way as it is for the C4 thermostat (home screen ) with temperature details?

4. What if you have multiple thermostats, do you need to buy a license for each one?

5. Is this IP controlled?

1. How much?

2. Where do I get it from?

3. Is the thermostat screen brought up the same way as it is for the C4 thermostat (home screen ) with temperature details?

4. What if you have multiple thermostats, do you need to buy a license for each one?

5. Is this IP controlled?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. You can get pricing from an approved Control4/HouseLogix dealer.

2. You can have the driver installed and configured by approved Control4/HouseLogix dealer. If your dealer hasn’t already, please have them sign up for a dealer account on http://www.houselogix.com/dev/.

3. Yes. The thermostat is accessed from the Comfort icon from the home screen, just like a C4 thermostat.

4. We are offering a site and an individual license options.

5. Yes. The thermostat is IP controlled.

Stay tuned for more information……

From the notes below the YouTube video:

"Disclaimer: HouseLogix, Inc. and the Nest© Control4 driver are in no way affiliated with, authorized, or supported by Nest Labs. For more information please visit www.HouseLogix.com/dev"

That quotes makes it fairly obvious that this has been reverse engineered, and done with any sort of API...and I correct? If so, isn't there a high likelihood that a NEST firmware update could knock out this functionality?

"Disclaimer: HouseLogix, Inc. and the Nest© Control4 driver are in no way affiliated with, authorized, or supported by Nest Labs. For more information please visit www.HouseLogix.com/dev"

That quotes makes it fairly obvious that this has been reverse engineered, and done with any sort of API...and I correct? If so, isn't there a high likelihood that a NEST firmware update could knock out this functionality?

That's what I was concerned about.

I really don't feel like selling my 3 thermostats, buying the 3 nest thermostats, and then paying an unknown sum of money for a driver and site license if their monthly firmware updates will knock this out of service.

I also suppose this is why it's ip controlled instead of utilizing its zigbee radio.

I wonder if the Zigbee radio was installed to work with other HA companies or if Nest is going to eventually venture into developing a HA product line.

My guess is they put it in there to have the opportunity to communicate with the utility companies, because if I remember correctly, the smart grid stuff uses zigbee.

My personal guess is that they did it to communicate on an SE network, so I doubt it'll ever work over ZigBee with Control4, but that's just an outright guess.

My second choice guess is that they never make the ZigBee work.

My third choice guess is that they get sued into oblivion by Honeywell.

Of course, I hope they're all wrong.

RyanE

^Honeyhell won a case not too long ago over a product they hold to higher level- the lowly turbocharger. Same deal is what you are seeing here and they won. But, they didn't butt-rape the competition, they just surgically removed their frontal lobe. It can happen if Nest isn't crafty.

Keep in mind that Nest needs to keep reverse compatibility built into their system for thermostats are sitting on stockroom shelves or have not been linked to a wireless network, etc.

If there is a problem when Nest updates their thermostat’s firmware, we will update the driver. The driver updates are free of change.

Chesterwilson..... then dont get the driver.. it seems simple. If i didnt already have a C4 t stat in good working order, id probably pick up the nest and their driver.

I just ordered my C4 thermostats today. This is too up in the air for my liking...plus more money.

Archived