C4 Forums | Control4

Coming VERY Soon - Control4/Nest Thermostat Driver

I got to get my hands on one of these and play with it. It's design is very nice, looks great, seems solid and well built. It also has me looking more closely at this vs the Aprilaire 8800, just when I thought I had it figured out.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) not EV, but yeah, your point is correct anyway.

2) you may or may not need to update the driver on a Nest change. There's no way to know up-front.

3) I'm pro-Control4 as well :) , but anti-FUD. Saying that Nest *will* make firmware updates that *will* render the driver incompatible is nothing but FUD.

RyanE

"FUD"

It can be a good thing sometimes.

http://www.houselogix.com/dev/nestthermostat.asp

1) not EV' date=' but yeah, your point is correct anyway.

2) you may or may not need to update the driver on a Nest change. There's no way to know up-front.

3) I'm pro-Control4 as well :) , but anti-FUD. Saying that Nest *will* make firmware updates that *will* render the driver incompatible is nothing but FUD.

RyanE[/quote']

"FUD"

Boy, let's read Ryan's statement number three and read the hydrologix statement and see if we can find a difference

1) not EV' date=' but yeah, your point is correct anyway.

RyanE[/quote']

"FUD"

Boy, let's read Ryan's statement number three and read the hydrologix statement and see if we can find a difference

Not sure I understand your statement?

I thought it would be obvious.

See the asterisks? Ryan was pointing out that while it might be possible that they would do a firmware upgrade that would break the driver, saying they *WILL* do so is fud.

Then we have the second issue, NO firmware has been released that broke the driver. They were asked (probably demanded) not to sell a product that was reversed engineered.

I thought it would be obvious.

See the asterisks? Ryan was pointing out that while it might be possible that they would do a firmware upgrade that would break the driver, saying they *WILL* do so is fud.

Then we have the second issue, NO firmware has been released that broke the driver. They were asked (probably demanded) not to sell a product that was reversed engineered.

Yes and I send FUD can be a good thing sometimes. I never said it wasn't FUD. I guess it comes down to what level of FUD you are willing to accept.

In terms of your second point are you sure that no firmware was released and that the current Nest driver is still fully functional? If so that would be great for pstuart!

It would be product suicide to release a firmware update that totally breaks functionality of say.... someones nest iphone app that couldn't upgrade the app on their phone in time.

I agree. I find no reason that this device/driver combo would be much more fragile than many other devices (i.e. any others who do not publish a public protocol).

RyanE

So, did NEST just commit "product suicide"?

I was just getting ready to install two next week in my new house...going to have to think about what else to put in that is C4 compatible and just as 'cool'....guess good old C4 thermostat is always an option....jeez...what else shows humidity and works with c4?

I don't really understand why companies are so affraid to release control protocol. None of them charge for their apps and while a few of the apps are excellent most are not. Being so closed simply invites "hackers"...

I don't really understand why companies are so affraid to release control protocol. None of them charge for their apps and while a few of the apps are excellent most are not. Being so closed simply invites "hackers"...

Because then they have to support it which costs money. If they change an API it costs money/causes headaches. Its very hard to do properly and very low on the list with startups.

• 1 month later...
It would be product suicide to release a firmware update that totally breaks functionality of say.... someones nest iphone app that couldn't upgrade the app on their phone in time.

I agree. I find no reason that this device/driver combo would be much more fragile than many other devices (i.e. any others who do not publish a public protocol).

RyanE

So' date=' did NEST just commit "product suicide"?[/quote']

Nope. I say we just reverse engineer it publicly and release an open source driver. Maybe see if some of the Jailbreaking community would like to jump on this.

It already has been. There are tons of examples out there via google. Just need to find the time to write the C4 driver, but what I'm seeing with my Nest is they are changing their web services requests with every firmware and application update, which means having to change the driver almost every month.

Once they get the platform stable, I have a feeling they will be opening up access, but right now they are tweaking all kinds of things in their json traffic and adding features, etc. that it just doesn't make sense to write a driver and have to constantly be updating it to keep it working.

Archived