C4 Forums | Control4

NEst

bballboy6

Just guessing, but I suspect Nest's concern was about an unauthorized, *commercially* available driver.

There are other Nest integration examples out there. It took this guy half a day of hacking to to get Siri control over the Nest.

http://www.chilitechno.com/labs/post/blog/2011/12/11/hacking-siriproxy-to-talk-to-the-nest

That and they have bigger plans that include automation on a bigger scale

Just guessing, but I suspect Nest's concern was about an unauthorized, *commercially* available driver.

There are other Nest integration examples out there. It took this guy half a day of hacking to to get Siri control over the Nest.

http://www.chilitechno.com/labs/post/blog/2011/12/11/hacking-siriproxy-to-talk-to-the-nest

The *commercial* part is what I'm sure the hangup was too.

Sorry thats BS. Since it is commercial they have someone to go after... simple/easy target for a lawyer -- hell its probably a form letter.. 13 y/o haxor is a waste of time.

The onus is on NEST to support third party control. Go to their forums and complain about it -- not here. We're certainly all open to the idea. NEST is the hangup.

Just guessing' date=' but I suspect Nest's concern was about an unauthorized, *commercially* available driver.

[url']http://www.chilitechno.com/labs/post/blog/2011/12/11/hacking-siriproxy-to-talk-to-the-nest

That and they have bigger plans that include automation on a bigger scale

I would put [cash]money on this strategy :)

An alternative to Nest which I firmly believe is a better piece of hardware is available and the driver is currently under development.

So, what is the message here? I'm sure Control4 needs/wants to hear [ :) ] of yet another reason why they should either pull their stat or do something to improve their name like rebuild the current offering. No refresh here- junk the existing.

For me it wasn't about looks. Iit was about capabilities, performance, and ability to help me save money.

As for remote sensors, this is an excellent option if looks is all your going for, however from what I've found most remote temp sensors do only temp leaving the need for a second sensor to handle humidity.

I find that the control4 thermostat has a hard time keeping my house at the same temperature. My $30 honeywell did a better job that the Control4 one. One of our customers has his house rigged up with 1wire temp sensors and confirmed this. He made graphs of the temperature in his house with his old t stat and then with the control4 one. The honeywell graph is fairly flat and the control4 graph looks like a rollercoaster.

I find that the control4 thermostat has a hard time keeping my house at the same temperature. My $30 honeywell did a better job that the Control4 one. One of our customers has his house rigged up with 1wire temp sensors and confirmed this. He made graphs of the temperature in his house with his old t stat and then with the control4 one. The honeywell graph is fairly flat and the control4 graph looks like a rollercoaster.

I agree completely. As soon as I switched over to Control4 thermostats in my house, I've never been able to get comfortable. And yes, I've adjusted the over/under, played with all of the settings, spoken with support, etc. They are just inferior tstats. I love the ability to control them remotely, etc but keeping my house at a desired temperature just doesn't work well. The units have been out for years already without any change. It's time for C4 to update these puppies.

I wish there was a nicer looking alternative to the C4 t-stat that still integrated with control4. All the other ones i've seen look cheesy. I would go with a Nest but my girlfriend really likes the fact that she only needs to use one app on her iPad to do everything with the house.

I got the same response from Nest support as everyone else. Too bad as the 2nd generation Nest now has the humidity control that I needed. Although, I'm not online with my new house, I got the radio thermostat CT80 that is supposed to integrate to C4 with an EV driver. It requires the wifi USNAP module, and the proper wiring to your hvac system from the thermostat. Doesn't nearly look as cool as the Nest, but I if figure that functionality wins out for me in my situation.

This is just my opinion, I think that the thermostat which can be controlled by events programmed into a home automation like C4 is a better option than the "learning feature" that Nest is offering...maybe I'm just spiteful that they don't allow the control/interfacing.

I'll try to post my experience with the CT80 once I'm online with my system.

Hmm, not sure what can be inferior about a calibrated stat vs any other stat if it isn't defective. I guess it could be slower to register temp changes than another but the programming is the trick, not the physical stat. Or so I thought. I guess with Geo where the idea is to not have big swings may work better than conventional. I don't see with a zoned Geo that any of the fancy features of Nest are going to help me vs what I can program with C4.

Archived