C4 Forums | Control4

Best cheap way to integrate a media player and dvd-bluray on a NAS

hi guys . i am looking for the best cheapest way to integrate a media player into my project. i want to access to all of my dvd /bluray on a tv menu . i know that control4 got is own media player but i still need a NAS or something to put my movie on it. I dont have the budget to buy myself a kaleidescape or those stuff who is around 3k and more. If you got any suggestion :D . I know that theres is some dune media player but how can i take my movie and convert it in a files to put it into a NAS ??? any suggestion ?

thanks for the info but ... how can i put all my dvd in a NAS wiihout affect the quality of video or sound ?

NAS Drive from Staples $200 combined with a C4 media player for $150 on eBay.

If you want more of a budget go with a WD Media player with an external drive or Apple TV for $99.

Both are good cheap solutions.

If you want perfect copies you Rip the DVD's and Blu-rays using Slysoft's AnyDVD HD to iso's. Then buy a Dune player from Diamond designs that supports Bluray iso's. Buy a Synology 1512+ or 1812+ so you can handle the files. Enjoy!

You don't technically need a NAS if you don't mind keeping a computer on all the time, you can just share out a drive from a PC.

DVD movies can be ripped from a DVD to a hard drive - note that this process is technically illegal in both Canada and the US. You can rip the entire DVD which preserves the menus and special features, or you can just rip the main movie if that is all you need and you can compress it at the same time. Handbrake is a good piece of software to take a DVD and convert it to other formats and save space. But you need to first "break" the CSS protection on the DVD. I am not sure if you are allowed to post how you do that here but you can Google that quite easily. You can do the same with BluRays but that can be VERY slow unless you have fast PC since video recompression is very CPU intensive.

wow thats what i call a Massive NAS ! :D

If you want perfect copies you Rip the DVD's and Blu-rays using Slysoft's AnyDVD HD to iso's. Then buy a Dune player from Diamond designs that supports Bluray iso's. Buy a Synology 1512+ or 1812+ so you can handle the files. Enjoy!

You got the rigth word . For some people its cheap stuff but for me and my wallet its perfect ! I never think about the budget but the only thing i'm sure its i dont have 1k$ to put on that . So yes the best for the lowest price will be perfect for me .

Cheap is not the word I would use. The most cost effective way, would be a Dune or Popcorn hour, which are pretty solid products, and a decent NAS.

What i really want to say its if everybody tell me louis dont buy this X companie media player and nas its cheap (price v.s quality ) i will wait a couple of weeks to buy myself a better system . I think that with all the new thecnologies that we have we can buy a good sytem for a fair price ( around 500 to 700$ )

so all in price wise $$$ whats he looking at?

Honestly - You won't get a good Player + Driver + Large NAS (to hold a good number of full size Blu-Ray ISO rips) for that price.

However, you could start with the Dune or Popcorn player + driver and a smaller NAS (a 4Tb NAS will hold 700+ full size DVD iso rips) for about that price - You can always replace (or add) NAS drives later to do more. That should keep you around that price-range, and have you ready to go full HD rips down the road.

thats a perfect idea . for the moment i got more dvd than blu ray and i dont have 700 dvd ... so thats perfect ! If you rips a dvd is the quality is the same ( image and sound ? )

Honestly - You won't get a good Player + Driver + Large NAS (to hold a good number of full size Blu-Ray ISO rips) for that price.

However, you could start with the Dune or Popcorn player + driver and a smaller NAS (a 4Tb NAS will hold 700+ full size DVD iso rips) for about that price - You can always replace (or add) NAS drives later to do more. That should keep you around that price-range, and have you ready to go full HD rips down the road.

If you rip to iso, you rip to a full disc image - so the file itself is 100% original quality.

As for NAS, Buffalo, Netgear have always been good to me, as has D-Link for a lower cost solution (run two of those at my own home solely for movie distribution never a failure). Don't like Seagate personally.

And yes AnyDVD is a must - make sure you get the HD license from the start.

Wich compagnie of NAS should i buy ?? Buffalo , Seagate , Netgear ????

I'm running 2x of synology 413j, 212j, one back up the other, and a few dlink NAS scatter arround relative house's to remote back up of the 2x synology at home.

Once a while 2T @ $60, or 3T @ $90 from slickdeals, i just buy and stack them up.

in 4 2 of these, crack it open and put them in NAS

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/92554/best-buy-computing-clearance-2tb-seagate-expansion-usb-2.0-external-hard-drive

Wich compagnie of NAS should i buy ?? Buffalo ' date=' Seagate , Netgear ????[/quote']

I'm running 2x of synology 413j, 212j, one back up the other, and a few dlink NAS scatter arround relative house's to remote back up of the 2x synology at home.

Once a while 2T @ $60, or 3T @ $90 from slickdeals, i just buy and stack them up.

in 4 2 of these, crack it open and put them in NAS

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/92554/best-buy-computing-clearance-2tb-seagate-expansion-usb-2.0-external-hard-drive

expired

thanks for the links ! So now there is my other quesiton : Control4 media player or Dune ??? wich one is the best for the price . i know that the dune you got to buy the ev driver but you can find some control4 media player on ebay or used for 150$ or less. I all of you tell me to go with a dune ( 300 $ or more ) i would like to know the reason ? Quality? more expandable ?

My favorite deal aggregator at the moment is dealbert, takes all the slickdeals, etc and puts them in one place.

2nd link down, loos like Best Buy has the same deal right now, but if you search, you can find other models you may like better.

http://www.dealbert.net/?qs=2tb+external

thanks for the links ! So now there is my other quesiton : Control4 media player or Dune ??? wich one is the best for the price . i know that the dune you got to buy the ev driver but you can find some control4 media player on ebay or used for 150$ or less. I all of you tell me to go with a dune ( 300 $ or more ) i would like to know the reason ? Quality? more expandable ?
My favorite deal aggregator at the moment is dealbert, takes all the slickdeals, etc and puts them in one place.

2nd link down, loos like Best Buy has the same deal right now, but if you search, you can find other models you may like better.

http://www.dealbert.net/?qs=2tb+external

No comparison, Dune is much better. Check with James at diamond design on the Dune (not sure if he still carries them.

The driver should be free, as it is now supported by control4.

The C4 media player can play a lot but most notably not Blu-Ray ISO's.

Many others are supported (more than many claim) but it is undeniably more finicky than it should be and it's biggest failure point is that it plays the video file only. So no menus, no subtitle/audio stream selection, no extra's. It also doesn't like most TV series discs (plays only the first episode, due to how the DVD files are divided).

This essentially mean that you would be spending a LOT more time ensuring your files are "proper" to play with the C4 player (in case of dvd ISO, ripping and removing unwanted audio streams etc).

So I'd go with Dune if I were you - you'll regret using a C4 media player, which is mainly useable in "demo" situations (such as a store with some pre-loaded movies that they select to show their clients a product).

Oh note that the EV driver is required ONLY if you want to use MyMovies to manage media - which I would highly recommend if you intend to have lots.

Archived