C4 Forums | Control4

bathroom motion sensors

ILoveControl

Hi all

I am looking for examples to setup lights on and off for a bathroom. I have a DSC alarm system connected to the C4 and it works well have a passive in the bathroom. Wanted to do things like, after 6pm if motion is detected and lights are off turn on if at 12am the only on to 5%. Keep checking if person is in the room if not then turn the lights off.

Was looking for guidance on how ya all do it *dos and not to dos*

locking forward to the advise.

Here is the Programming that I used  

I used recluse Av's motion sensor driver that has a built in off timer for whatever light you select in its properties. The driver is free if you need it installed.

I have my motion sensor under my vanity so it is hidden from view.

post-127094-0-14694700-1393508618_thumb.

post-127094-0-53388600-1393508983_thumb.

I am using the timer to shut the light off after a certain time(1800 seconds) if no motion is detected.  I have 2 dogs that could turn the light on during the day by walking in the room, but I haven't trained them to shut lights off behind them yet. 

I am using the timer to shut the light off after a certain time(1800 seconds) if no motion is detected.  I have 2 dogs that could turn the light on during the day by walking in the room, but I haven't trained them to shut lights off behind them yet. 

That is easy, tie around their neck a mini remote. :-)

On a serious note: How about pet immune sensors? unless of course you got a BIG dog

I  am new to Control4 so I have not used sensors with the timer properties. Normally you would create timer agent and set the amount of time in the properties of that agent. When motion is detected the timer would start. when the timer expires the light turns out. I think the loop option of that timer agent would keep resetting the timer each time motion is detected? Can someone post a clip of what this code looks like?

WB 

The reset should be done by the motion, the repeat on the timer won't do anything for you.
 In fact you do not WANT it to be repeating at all.

When [bathroom motion] senses motion

reset timer [motion timer]  --------------  note here to use RESET, not start. RESET will set the timer back to 0 AND start it if stopped. EVERY time the motion senses motion, that timer will start from the beginning this way.

Under the timer:

When timer [motion timer] expires

turn lights off.

That's really all you need for the 'off' portion, just make sure timer lenght and motion position are good enough and it should work just fine (ie not turn off while you're still there).

Or just get your dealer to install the free motion sensor driver with the timer built in.

While the driver works, I found it makes it impossible for the end-user to change the timing, what lights and so on. Unless it was changed from when I was checking it out, which was a while ago I'll admit.

Just remember the motion sensors wont see through glass, therefore long showers could end up in the dark.

My house is set up using the standard PIR that came with the DSC alarm.

I was told that pet sensors need more movement than standard to cause a trigger, therefore if you use them for lights, they can have an unwanted delay.

For bathrooms I have my motion sensor reset a timer, the timer is 3 mins

if the timer starts and a variable 'is_dark' = true, then the lights turn (there are further checks to have certain levels based on time of night)

when the timer expires, the lights go off.

to get around the shower behind glass issue - I have to tap the on/top button, this disables the motion sensing and will leave the light on when the time expires.

I also have a second time that goes for an hour which will turn off the light.

Please excuse my newbi question but your screen shoot of composer programming shows you using an "if" statement to check the current time. Ex "if time is 7am to 9pm".... where in composer programming tab is this found?

WB

Here is the Programming that I used  

I used recluse Av's motion sensor driver that has a built in off timer for whatever light you select in its properties. The driver is free if you need it installed.

I have my motion sensor under my vanity so it is hidden from view.

Where can I get the driver you're using (already asked dealer and he has no idea)?  Thx.

Just a heads up on that motion sensor driver I was referring to. It does not seem to work with V2 lighting unless you are replacing a V1 light with a V2. In the properties to select what load you want to control, it only gives the option to select V1 dimmers or switches. 

I had just replaced my V1 dimmer with an adaptive phase V2 and the control still seems to work. But when I set up my V2 dimmer, I did the Replace Legacy light option so the programming seemed to have transferred over.

If the driver is not encrypted, maybe it would be easy to update it to work with V2 lighting out of the box.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what motion detector people are using here but CA motions pose a slight problem to the basic "motion-ON, timer-OFF" programming.  I prefer to utilize the Occupancy Timer as the basic light-ON duration.  This also saves the motion's battery to some extent.  But, re-checking for motion during this time is not possible.  This leaves only the "stop sensing motion" mode for occupancy evaluation. 

Bottom-line here is that the programming gets a little hairy what with one variable, one timer, a while-loop and several check mechanisms, mostly designed to not put one in the dark.  For this reason, I don't recommend using CA motions and/or Composer HE tools.  Perhaps, someone here can enlighten us all with what this Recluse driver can do.  Simply providing a timer is far from a ideal solution to resi light control.

Archived