C4 Forums | Control4

Android vs. Apple

Just getting into Control4 HA and have thought about making the switch to an iPhone (currently have an Android phone but need to upgrade).  Specifically just read through the Beta thread and saw a few things about Android programming.  I know that nothing on there is confirmed.  Just looking for the pros and cons for using an Android based phone and the iPhone with Control4.

So really what it all comes down to is which "brand" do you like better?

At this point there are some differences in the app...the way it looks and a few functionality things. But, unless you use them both on a regular basis you won't notice those things.

They are nearly the same, something that will get closer as time progresses. You may see some differences in interface, some items may 'feel' a bit different but as others mentioned there's no functional difference in the app itself.

Go with the phone you want, leave this particular app out of the decision.

iPhone seems to take a lot longer to update, if you tweak/change/mess with your C4 like I do and need to update your MyHome often.  Andriod takes a few seconds, iPhone a few minutes.  iPhone has a neat scrolling effect for choosng rooms, not a game changer but a little slicker.  Mostly 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

iPhone seems to take a lot longer to update, if you tweak/change/mess with your C4 like I do and need to update your MyHome often. Andriod takes a few seconds, iPhone a few minutes. iPhone has a neat scrolling effect for choosng rooms, not a game changer but a little slicker. Mostly 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

My updates take only maybe 10 seconds on ios, not minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use both, android seems a bit more polished but the ios version runs just fine.  The size of your project will determine how long it takes to load the configuration.  This only has to be done once or after significant changes have been done to the project.

One upside to the android version is you do get a widget with it. 

Well, I had to manually update the project every time, since C4 can't seem to detect all the media. Oh, that''a right you don't own changers. So only solution at the time was to do it manually.

Wait until 2.6....

I heard that 2 years ago! Wait to the next version. I get maybe 30% if I do a scan. Bluray is close to 1100 discs, and I been replacing dvd with bluray. Probably around 1000 discs of dvd. I can only do cd audio through control4, so multi channels won't work. I don't have that problem in Jriver.

Huh you can do flac through C4. Try again.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Yes, I could covert them into Flac, but you notice a difference between the original format and flac. Flac compresses the music just like mp3, but according to the documentation you don't lose quality. I have compared original and flac, and the better quality is in original format.

ok so what is your point? C4 plays all these formats. Great. That's a bad thing?

Must stop feeding the troll.

You will need a way to play sacd, but go buy an sacd from amazon and compare to flac. Most bluray players will do sacd. On my receiver, I hooked up multichannel cables to my sony dvp-cx777es changer and listened to a recent purchase of a sacd in pink Floyd

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/771. There is review of dark side of the moon in sacd.

I deleted all my flac. Even in my truck, I use an USB flash drive with wav format of my cd collection. I never listen to apple format or Xm radio, because it is not like the original format.

and you can hear the difference in the noisy environment of a truck on a road?

You must have the hearing skills of an owl, or a jackal

His truck is running jriver, of course he can hear it perfectly. It's double insultated with jriver noise canceling foam padding.

Plus the suspension are jriver shocks that absorb 100% of the bumps.

The back of his truck is the control4 system with 3 100 disc dvd changers, which play perfectly through his lossless car amp powered, of course, by jriver.

What do you expect from someone who probably lives in his truck.

He never said his truck actually drives...

Ok now I am really laughing.

As someone who has pulled entire car interiors out to dynamat the car then install split charging additional batteries stiffening caps and that's before we get into amps time aligned speakers etc.

XM vs FM you can hear the difference it is bandwidth constrained.

Since we are getting personal...

Here's a video of Jackal at the office.

Jackal builds computers like red staplers...

Jriver sucks, regardless of my intial review of the product, it has proven over time to be unstable, unreliable and not worth the 50 / version cost.

There are many solid, reliable alternatives available on the market for video.

But then again, Jackal wouldn't know about the problems with Jriver's playback of digital video files, since he only uses changers and not digital media.

Oh and the irony of the end of that video sums up my experience with jriver as well.  It's a win win video...

Flac is a compression format. Correct just like WinZip is a compression format.

You can unpack a flac back to the wav it came from and it would be bit perfect, just like your big spreadsheet and WinZip.

Mp4 mp3 are lossy containers and once you are there you can't go back.

Your point is yes we have all heard a CD.

Archived