C4 Forums | Control4

SR-250 Screen Replacement Experience

control4user007

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to share my experience with you all on replacing my SR-250’s broken (shattered) screen.  For those of you that saw my previous post about soldering a bad capacitor (link) - this is the same SR-250 (it really does have 9 lives!).  Long story short, a child (errr college student) dropped the remote right before christmas and somehow shattered the OLED display inside of it.  It is very far out of warranty, and before I went ahead an bought another one from my dealer I decided to take it apart and see if I could find a replacement screen.  I found one that appeared to be the same part on eBay (link below), and wanted to try another project while I had some time off.  It just showed up today, and to my surprise was the exact same display found in the remote!  I took apart the remote (by carefully popping out the tabs along the side with a small flat head screw driver - some will inevitably break but its ok).  I then removed the sticky padding form the back and rubber piece from the front, swapped it with the new one and voila - it worked like a charm!  I put it all nicely back together and it has been working well for the past few hours!  I added some pictures below if you want to see the before, during, and after shots.  Not sure if someone else has a similar issue, but in case you are up for a project on an out of warranty remote - it might be worth a shot!  

Cheers!
control4user007

post-124349-0-07975400-1420657235_thumb.
post-124349-0-73560400-1420657237_thumb.
post-124349-0-47071700-1420657232_thumb.
post-124349-0-52716200-1420657229_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a SR250 lying around with a faulty OLED screen so i figured i'd give this a shot.  Ordered the part from ebay which took about 3 weeks to come. Whole process took about 1 minute to open, replace, put back together (i used to fix these all the time when i worked for the distributor but alas no longer have access to hardware/spare parts).

• 1 month later...

Hello - I have ended up with a cracked screen problem and the replacement screen seems like the way to go for a little project.  I was hoping to get some advice on how to open up the remote - seems like people say that the little tabs will most likely break - is there a better place to try and pry the case off (eg higher or lower) etc ... any advice / input would be appreciated.

Ken

Hello - I have ended up with a cracked screen problem and the replacement screen seems like the way to go for a little project.  I was hoping to get some advice on how to open up the remote - seems like people say that the little tabs will most likely break - is there a better place to try and pry the case off (eg higher or lower) etc ... any advice / input would be appreciated.

Ken

Very nice!  Its really not that hard at all.  As far as the tabs go, some will break and theres not much you can do about it.  I used a small flathead (might try one out of a glasses repair kit) to carefully pop them out.  First remove the screws near the battery compartment and start from that end.  Kind of work your way up, popping one tab on each side before moving to the next on the other side.  

Archived