C4 Forums | Control4

Rachio Iro - The Nest Of Irrigation Control

The Rachio Iro Smart Irrigation Controller is essentially the Nest in the world of irrigation. The system offers 8 & 16 zone options and both models are accessible with the Rachio Iro app from the Apple & Android app stores. From the app you can control & set your irrigation system as well as monitor water usage. 

This system helps you save from month to month with personalized water reports & the ability to monitor the weather for optimal irrigation cycles.

You can read the full article reviewing this system here: Rachio Iro Irrigation Controller

The driver for the Rachio Iro Irrigation system is currently available on HouseLogix.com

Please feel free to ask any questions or concerns you may have below this post.

Does the driver add any functionality besides what the rachio app does? 

The mobile app and control4 driver complement each other. The advantage to using the control4 driver is that it allows you to automate events in your house based on the sprinkler system or vice versa. For example, if music is playing in the back yard, automatically enable a raid delay so the sprinklers don’t turn on.

• 2 weeks later...

What makes this better than the Irrigation Caddy which also seems to get a lot of good reviews from the C4 community?

If I was in the market for a controller I would also consider the OpenSprinkler Pi which uses a Raspberry Pi with an add on board.

• 2 months later...

Is this easy to physically install? I have a standard toro 8 zone controller with an external water sensor. It's pretty standard but I've never paid attention to how things are wired, etc. I'd hate to try this and jack something up.

Rachio integrates with the local weather and changes watering schedule automatically. Irrigation Caddy does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since your post Irrigation Caddy released firmware to add this capability.

Is this easy to physically install? I have a standard toro 8 zone controller with an external water sensor. It's pretty standard but I've never paid attention to how things are wired, etc. I'd hate to try this and jack something up.

Never installed one but thinking about pulling the Trigger today

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

The mobile app and control4 driver complement each other. The advantage to using the control4 driver is that it allows you to automate events in your house based on the sprinkler system or vice versa. For example, if music is playing in the back yard, automatically enable a raid delay so the sprinklers don’t turn on.

I've been trying to think through other uses for integration.  Thoughts?

Been using mine for a month and a half so far and it's worked out great. Picked up a local weather station about 4 miles from my home and integrated that on its on. The 2.0 OS looks really good and will add a few new features. Recommend you look up your soil type so you know what type it is. Also, expect your watering schedule to change as the weather changes. Mine has added or taken away time from the sprinklers as the temp's have risen and the rain has come down. My grass is green and my water bill is down a good amount compared to last year.

I've been trying to think through other uses for integration.  Thoughts?

If you don't like people coming to your house you can turn one of your sprinkler heads towards the door an spray anyone who presses the doorbell.  I know someone who did that. 

My unit just arrived. Super simple to install. Control options in the Wink app look pretty slim compared to the Rachio app. I haven't had a chance to look into the API yet, but hopefully it offers more control options.

Maybe a stupid question - but for those who have this installed already...

how long is the set up process prior to wiring it up to the actual system?  I am wondering if I could boot up the device, get it registered, etc and then let it sit and wait until my sprinkler tech shows up to wire it up for me.  I think it would be a waste of time if the tech came over, we unbox it, he installs it on the wall then I sit there and register the device, pair it with the app and whatever else has to be done on the tech side to set it up.

So could one unbox it, register it, set it up and then wait to actually wire it into the system?  This way the tech comes, he wires it up and we are ready to play with it.

Make it easy for yourself. Go ahead and install the app on your phone as you'll need it for configuration. Once you have the system booted up, and your phone app at the ready, you'll hold the phone up to the rachio, and it will flash your screen rapidly, sending the information over to the rachio. That's it. Once that is done, your system is connected to your wifi, and registered. You can then proceed to go through the website, or app or what ever else you need to finish configuring it.

Configuration is simple. It will walk you through each zone, prompting you to provide the type of soil, level of the lot, what's planted there, amount of sun/shade as well as type of sprinker head in use for that zone. Go look up your soil type online and find out if you're sandy loam, clay, etc. That will help you when it comes time to configure. Once your zone is setup, it will test it and make sure it comes on and then you answer yes the correct zone came on or off.

not sure why you need a spinkler tech to come out though. The system is really easy. Look at your current sprinkler controller and expose the wiring. Take a good picture of the different zones wiring. Then disconnect everything, remove the old unit and run the wires to the new unit. The zones are all numbered and you simply connect the wires into the channels. Takes a few minutes / seconds to do really and then that's it. Snap the brains back on, and give it power.

There is a C4 driver, but not worth it. When the 8 zone device cost $250 retail and you get the unit itself, Apps for your tablets and phones for free, web access, OS upgrades (2.0 OS should be out shortly) and a really smart irrigation system all for $249 are you going to feel comfortable paying 2/3rd of that on a driver that provides basic functionality? So far I've been quoted from $165 to $250 just to get the license. Not have anyone install the driver or configure it...just email me the license code. So I imagine if you're looking to have someone sale you the license, install the driver and configure it, expect to spend upwards of $300 perhaps?

Archived