C4 Forums | Control4

How to re-label a device?

Vahn

Hello,

I'm new here. Like brand new. I've been searching the Internet at large, Reddit, the Composer HE User Guide, and now these forums. I apologize for how freshman this one is.

I'm on 2.7. I want to re-label some devices. I can't figure out where this is located in the interface.

Specifically, I want to relabel my Xbox to Xbox 360 and my Sonos Home to Sonos.

I'm over-looking something that must be right in front of me or you actually can't relabel the device with Composer HE. I think I will be disappointed if you need Composer Pro and I need to get my integrator.

-DJ

PS: Picture of my C4 rack just for fun.

post-136797-0-09471100-1431912432_thumb.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. That's really unfortunate. I hope they address that in a future update.

I understand you wouldn't want even the most die-hard, technically-minded hobbyist/enthusiast removing or inserting devices. I don't understand why the device database wouldn't be keyed from a GUID and the software labels independent of device labels in a way you could re-label without issue.

Composer ME seemingly gives me plenty of ways to break my own system. Composer ME was a major selling point of moving from Savant to Control4 in the first place. I like my integrator. I don't want to call him up for routine stuff because I got bug in my ass and I need him to change Aux 1 to PlayStation 4 because I finally hooked something up to Aux 1.

My install has a lot of "future proofing" like this as I tried hard during planning to predict where I would be over a 2 year period.

:huh:

-V

ComposerHE doesn’t support adding or removing devices. The naming of devices is implemented in such a way that naming/renaming is also not available while using ComposerHE. This is something a dealer will need to do on the initial setup or can be done remotely.

I hope this helps.
Matt

Hi Matt.

Yes, sir. I'm now aware that's the case.

BCG|Concepts is going to make the edits for me in Composer Pro. My post said Composer ME, I meant Composer Home.

It doesn't change my mind that the SOFTWARE labels for a device (not the actual device name) should be something exposed in Composer HE and editable in Composer HE. It's a basic operation and one of personal taste/choice.

You shouldn't need to talk to your dealer/integrator for this kind of basic operation.

My integrator has a punch list a mile long. It takes me longer to type it up and for him to execute it, despite how "easy it is" for him to do so, than it would be for me to just do it.

I'm a power user. I paid for Composer HE. This really should be a feature of Composer HE and not limited to the System Design tab of Composer Pro, which I don't (and can't) have.

-V

Unless the softies @ Control4 have changed the architecture of the OS, changing names of elements willy-nilly could futz-up topographical programming.  It's not smart to want to change names more than once or twice.  A well thought-out system shouldn't require but one or two tweak sessions by your dealer.  Please don't start another Composer/CPro discussion...

Xbox >Xbox360??  

I agree completely. I'll pass this along to the responsible teams. 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

Regards,

Matt

With all due respect, a dealer with a "mile-long" punchlist is not a good dealer.  I would think the "responsible team" should be whoever is conducting new dealer training...  

With all due respect, a dealer with a "mile-long" punchlist is not a good dealer.  I would think the "responsible team" should be whoever is conducting new dealer training...  

I'm thinking he was talking about the ability to allow device naming from ComposerHE....

It's fine. It's taken out of context. I'm actually pretty happy with my Integrator.

They don't care one bit I want to personally be involved with every facet of detail for my system configuration. They tolerate me just fine and work hard.

The process we use to communicate is great. We make detailed notes on a shared Google Docs document, they mark it done, I verify the work, and remove it from the list. Repeat till list is zero tasks. I just want to take more responsibility for some of the "easy" stuff.

The "mile-long" punch list is because I have a fairly involved system (by most measurements) and I'm quite particular when it comes to floor, room, device labels and ordering of all in software. This is a 7-zone audio, 4-zone video with dozens of sources and keypads. I've spend multiple days (as I said, I'm an enthusiast) making the conversion from Savant (where I had no control) to Control4 (where I have some, but not as much as I thought I would.)

Honest, as the end user, sometimes you are not sure what you want until you have something and work with it/live with it awhile. 

In the meantime, I'm using pretty generic labels. Sconce 1. Sconce 2. Table Lamp 1. Table Lamp 2. Floor Lamp 1. Floor Lamp 2. Aux 1-4, etc. All labels that make perfect sense, but I'd like to dial in when I start plugging things into them over time. My dealer will change the name remotely. He won't nickle and dime me for it, either. This isn't a dealer complaint and I'm not trying to start a new Composer/Composer Pro discussion.

Honestly, I just came into ask how to change the device name in ComposerME. The answer is you can't. I whined about it a little bit and have moved on.

I'll post a separate topic about my Wireless Outlet Dimmers and Control4

Also. Xbox ONE > Xbox 360 (I have both) and my Xbox 360 is named simply Xbox, so it's driving me insane. He already changed it for me.  :)

I wish i could tell you how frustrated i am with Control4. it is always a dealer has to do this and a dealer has to do that. renaming a device has to done by a dealer? WoW give me a break

You know what. I don't have a problem with the dealer model. Would I like more control? Yes.

What would've helped for me and others is having a dealer that's clear on what a user can and can't do themselves. I doubt I would've changed my mind, but less sales hype and more clarity from some dealers would sure improve things.

Some users arent even told about HE and think they need a dealer for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

i agree, composer HE should have a bit more functions....definitely renaming devices should be added, and the ability to add drivers or the C4 Store...

maybe there should be 2 levels of Composer HE, one for basic users (as it is now) and a second for more advanced users....something very close to the pro version?

still, it is an AMAZING system and we can pretty much do anything we can think of...everything is connected...lights...thermostat, alarm..AV, ect....it is a great system to have.

^Why is that "lucky"?  If you had used that piece info to make your decision on Control4 then you were taken.  I find that not being able to change my mind about naming an annoyance.  But "luckily" I budgeted for service calls to handle such details.  

I honestly don't get all the fuss here. Control4 gives home owners just enough control to make tweeks minus some of the major stuff that could really screw up a system. If you want complete control over all these little items I would recommend finding a completely diy system. You've obviously hired a pro to program and setup your system from the get go for a reason. Any other major control system (Elan, RTI, Crestron) requires a dealer for ANY change to the system.

Control4 gives home owners just enough control to make tweeks minus some of the major stuff that could really screw up a system.

I agree that C4 gives home owners a decent amount of control. Composer HE is a lot of fun. But "just enough" is pretty debatable. Some more technically-minded power users have more technical experience than the dealer/integrator. What we don't have is access.

The debate here is (was?) about relabeling devices. If I want to rename my Xbox to Xbox 360, that doesn't seem unreasonable to be exposed in Composer ME.

Some of us believe that line should be drawn at the insertion or removal of components and devices and that only a dealer should do that.

Comparing it to Crestron or any other major control system isn't the point. The point is that it's Control4, and they are far more flexible than other vendors with giving the Owner access. Heck, one of the major reasons/selling points why I dropped Savant is to have more direct access.

Would I not buy Control4 had I know that you can't relabel devices. No. Not at all.

My dealer (and I'm sure many dealers) will remotely access my system and change my device name/label if I ask him too and he won't nickle and dime me to do so. The point is, he shouldn't have to.

Devices should use a GUID and the label should just be a label and not something in Composer Pro, but exposed to Composer Me. We can do a ton with Composer ME, but I was surprised relabeling devices isn't one of those things.

Please don't take me out of context. I'm a Control4 fan. I'm helping a co-worker spec and write his RFQ for his.

This criticism is meant to be constructive. I'm sure, over-time, as I work with the system and try to do things and realize I can't, I'll have other constructive criticism as well.

-V

You guys do know that if you change a component name, every bit of programming done by the HO using that component will not execute properly.  Why not let Control4 tell us how difficult it would be to change the OS to allow "floating" naming of components?  

You guys do know that if you change a component name, every bit of programming done by the HO using that component will not execute properly.  Why not let Control4 tell us how difficult it would be to change the OS to allow "floating" naming of components?  

Errr. Nah.

I'm not a dealer. I don't work for Control4. I've never seen the OS. I don't have source. I'm not claiming it's easy or hard.

But I am developer. As a developer, if I was doing architecture for a system I wouldn't create dependencies on a name in a system designed to have and display custom labels.

I would cleanly separate unique namespaced device names or GUIDS from labels, so that labels could be modified.

That's not unreasonable by any measure whatsoever.

-V

My understanding was that when you program, it identifies the device by id rather than a name (try programming some commands, copy and paste them into notepad to see).  Maybe the programming text won't match (e.g. change xbox -> xbox 360, the original programming would still say xbox) but i believe the code will still execute properly.  just a guess and could be completely wrong.

I've had my dealer relabel devices remotely and it seems to only take a few seconds and then he's doing a refresh so I don't think it has to be changed in every different use of the device.  

It has to be changed in each instance of the driver.

Archived