C4 Forums | Control4

"Routines" Driver

HouseLogix

I must say, this looks like an incredibly powerful driver (especially for users - family members - who don't use HE).

The million dollar question for me is, does this work on HC and EA controllers OSD and on V2 and T3 Touchscreens...

Anither important question is can you set up logic rules based on Control variables that the user has created (I suspect not, so this may be a wish list item!).

A "yes" to the first and I'll be buying this (despite the high price). A "yes" to the second and I'll be excited ?

As I believe it's based on the MSP proxy, it should work on all currently supported UIs, Flash through T3 touchpanels, and technically, even on system remotes, although I'm not sure I'd want to drive it on a remote...

:)

As far as the other question, I don't know, I don't speak for Houselogix, obviously.

RyanE

What is the MSP proxy?

This  looks interesting, though other than the ease of scheduling an event, I'm not sure I see a significant benefit to those that have HE and/or don't have family members that would create their own events.  That said, it adds a lot of control and flexibility to a C4 system.

16 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Can you use this in conjunction with the wakeup agent?

You could program a routine to fire when your wakeup scene executes. We've also received requests already for Sunrise and Sunset in the built-in scheduler.

13 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I must say, this looks like an incredibly powerful driver (especially for users - family members - who don't use HE).

The million dollar question for me is, does this work on HC and EA controllers OSD and on V2 and T3 Touchscreens...

Anither important question is can you set up logic rules based on Control variables that the user has created (I suspect not, so this may be a wish list item!).

A "yes" to the first and I'll be buying this (despite the high price). A "yes" to the second and I'll be excited ?

As RyanE mentioned, this will work everywhere that MSP (Media Service Proxy) currently works. That includes the apps, touchscreens, and various navigators provided by Control4.

We'll be adding features for conditional and variable programming down the road. Right now, a routine is a list of rules/steps/actions that execute in a linear fashion.

This looks cool, but is rather pricey. It would be a nice addition as it's more convenient than firing up HE...my kids could program things, etc... BUT the one thing that really seems to be lacking is the ability to program the Routine to execute from a button press within the app. Is there any way to get that built in as well, to where you can set the action....as in your example video, tie it to a button press?

look like a very nice and useful driver, great job. out of curiosity how are the routines backed up? if someone were to create many elaborate routines and they had a main controller crash or required a project reload for some reason would all the routines be lost?

1 hour ago, ILoveC4 said:

This looks cool, but is rather pricey. It would be a nice addition as it's more convenient than firing up HE...my kids could program things, etc... BUT the one thing that really seems to be lacking is the ability to program the Routine to execute from a button press within the app. Is there any way to get that built in as well, to where you can set the action....as in your example video, tie it to a button press?

We definitely have plans to advance it even further, as it stands right now, you'd need your dealer to tie keypad buttons to various routines when they install the driver. Once that's setup, you'll be able to modify those routines in the future.

To execute a routine at will, you can always use the app to fire them off.

53 minutes ago, vstar said:

look like a very nice and useful driver, great job. out of curiosity how are the routines backed up? if someone were to create many elaborate routines and they had a main controller crash or required a project reload for some reason would all the routines be lost?

Great question, right now the routines and schedules are written to disk on the controller, separate from the project file. Our near term road map includes downloading and uploading these files.

12 minutes ago, HouseLogix said:

Great question, right now the routines and schedules are written to disk on the controller, separate from the project file. Our near term road map includes downloading and uploading these files.

when you do this will this allow you to program routines via the import file?

I've asked my dealer to buy this and install it next time he is at my house.

Thinking about how I want to use it, can one have multiple instances of the driver with more schedules / routines available in some rooms than in others? I have 2 Touchscreens outside (patio and jacuzzi - they are locked down to access these rooms only ) and would like to be able to access, edit and fire off routines that relate to my irrigation system from these. However, I would not want to access other routines that could, for instance, be security related from these Touchscreens (rooms).  

Can I call an existing macro from within a routine?

(I'm wondering if that is alluded to in the Routine Event 1-10 comment in the doc.  If so, would we be limited to using 10 macros?)

56 minutes ago, jfh said:

(I'm wondering if that is alluded to in the Routine Event 1-10 comment in the doc.  If so, would we be limited to using 10 macros?)

That is how I read the documentation... Hope so... And hope they remove the limit of 10 in due course...

20 hours ago, msgreenf said:

when you do this will this allow you to program routines via the import file?

Our initial intention for the export/import is backup and restore purposes. Theoretically, what's to stop you from backing up a set of standard routines as a dealer and roll them out to every project. There are complications related to that though, as we reference individual devices by their unique ID, which wouldn't necessarily be the same on every system.

19 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I've asked my dealer to buy this and install it next time he is at my house.

Thinking about how I want to use it, can one have multiple instances of the driver with more schedules / routines available in some rooms than in others? I have 2 Touchscreens outside (patio and jacuzzi - they are locked down to access these rooms only ) and would like to be able to access, edit and fire off routines that relate to my irrigation system from these. However, I would not want to access other routines that could, for instance, be security related from these Touchscreens (rooms).  

Yes, we haven't restricted the number of instances you can add to a project. So independent sets of routines and schedules could co-exist, and you can choose which rooms that instance is an available source in.

13 hours ago, jfh said:

You've got it. A routine can fire off a Control4 event, where you could place any typical Composer level programming to occur. There are currently 10 available, which is an arbitrarily low number that we can easily raise.

It's also worth noting that this works both ways; Composer programming can fire off any routine you create, which makes adjustments easy without Composer access.

• 2 weeks later...

My dealer downloaded the 48 hour test version of the driver for me and I must say that it looks like it will be a really powerful driver. 

I have 2 problems at present:

1. Most importantly, while I can get the driver to trigger lights, I cannot get it to work with relays. And that is what I would use it for most. For instance, I have relays controlling each of my irrigation zones. If I "turn on" any of these relays via this driver it does nothing. Whereas if I turn on a light it works perfectly!

2. If the test version worked for the above I would almost definitely buy the driver although I must say the recommended price of US$200 does feel a little rich...

I can see loads of uses for the driver and also lots of improvements that could be made to it to make it even cooler, e.g.:

1. Allowing one to select days to apply to a schedule via tick boxes (e.g. Monday / Wednesday and Friday).

2. The ability to activate and deactivate schedules without deleting them. Thus a schedule can be used again and can simply be turned on and off.

3. The ability to edit schedules without deleting and recreating them.

4. The ability to have a variable delay (preferably 10 or more of these). For instance, I would like to have each of my irrigation circuits (7 zones) run for 10 minutes right now but in a few months I would want to change 10 minutes to 15 minutes without having to recreate all 7 routines!

5. The ability to have delays other than 1 minute, 10 minutes and 30 minutes although I realise you can build with these options.

6. The ability to delete items other than the last item in a routine.

7. The ability to add items to a routine other than at the end of the routine.

All that said, thanks for what looks like a very powerful driver!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived